Go to breakfast.

kickingpounds
kickingpounds Posts: 42 Member
What is your go to quick breakfast?

I have 5 kids, and we have to be out the house by 9 AM every morning. I dont have enough time to sit down and cook a meal. So, whats your breakfast of choice, and about how many calories are we looking at?

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Fruit and cottage cheese. Toast and an egg white omelette. I have been known to make and refrigerate sausage and biscuits to be microwaved for 30 seconds in the morning. All of those come at or less than 300 calories with my coffee.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Up at 5:30 am and out the door to the bus by 6:10. No kids just dogs.
    1 cup whole milk
    1 cup raisin bran
    6 oz of sliced strawberries.
    390 calories.

10 am
    1 large hard boiled egg-90 calories

For me this works to keep me from getting too hungry by lunch time. But have a job that requires a lot of physical activity.

• piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    A good quickie is so delicious yogurt mixed with protein powder, ground flaxseed and then topped with blueberries (or any fresh fruit of your choice but berries are best)
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Its usually either 1 egg and 2 pcs of whole grain white toast with a tbsp of butter 210 cals
    Or
    1 plain bagel thin toasted with 2 tbsp of whipped cream cheese 160 cals
  • PacificLotus
    PacificLotus Posts: 83 Member
    Microwaved egg whites with avocado - literally less than 3 minutes to make. Usually around 250 calories depending on amounts. Or vanilla yogurt with fiber one cereal mixed in - 200 calories or less.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 507 Member
    I do a make ahead oatmeal in the slow cooker. I'm the only one that eats it so it will last me two weeks. I have it warm the first day and keep it in the refrigerator the rest of the time. You can heat it in the microwave or eat it cold with some yogurt. Butter the slow cooker. Add 8 1/2 cups water, 2 cups steel cut oats, 1 3/4 cup low fat or skim milk. 1/4 c brown sugar, 1/2 t salt. Stir. Cook on low until cooked and creamy, about 7 to 8 hours. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. I usually add yogurt or fresh fruit to my serving. It makes about 14 servings.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    preparation is the key to success.

i make a lot of food in advance. this friday i made these: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/03/morning-glory-muffins/

the website has a lot of good breakfasts. they have a kale and chorizo frittata that i'll make on a sunday, have one piece that morning, and have the other five pieces throughout the week.
  • kickingpounds
    kickingpounds Posts: 42 Member
    I just realized it might be harder for me to do this eating on the go thing with no microwave....

But thank you all for your suggestions so far. I love it.
  • Steel cut oatmeal. I make 3-4 servings on the weekend. Put in jars, and throw in the microwave in the morning. A lot of cook in and topping ideas to prevent getting bored.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    I don't eat breakfast, but there's a snack I always eat before lunch of a few chicken strips that I've cooked the night before and then take with me to uni. Usually about 200 calories :smile:
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 507 Member
    Here is a couple good websites with make ahead breakfasts. http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/make-ahead-healthy-breakfast#.hg7zM1n7w,
    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/quick-easy/make-ahead-breakfast, http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/overnightoats.

There are hundreds of recipes online. A lot of the overnight oatmeal recipes don't have to be reheated, just add yogurt and/or some fruit and go. Look under summer oatmeal recipes.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I do love to make-ahead and warm, but without a microwave, I'd do eggs. In 25 minutes I make breakfast for myself and my daughter, make my tea for the day, pull our lunches, and get out of the door.
    I typically eat an egg or scrambled egg whites w/veggies. I love to put mushrooms, scallions, roasted red peppers, and/or spinach in them because those are the quickest cooking vegetables.
    If you have time, you can cook a mix of vegetables and keep it in the fridge all week to add to meals, including your scramble.
    This morning I had scrambled egg whites with leftover salmon and scallions. Took about 5 minutes.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Overnight oats, baked oatmeal, steel cut oats, are you seeing a trend here? LOL
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,866 Member
    Fat free plain yoghurt with 10g of granola stirred in. Raw green beans or snow peas dipped in commercially prepared hummous. A boiled egg you can make it advance or some smoked salmon. Coffee with semi skimmed milk. I usually come in around 300 kcal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Greek yogurt with raspberries.....stir in KashiGoLean (original) and a Tbl. of sliced almonds. High protein, fiber, and fat....keeps me full until lunch time. Calories are around 250-275. You can go light yogurt, use more (or less) Kashi.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Leftovers!
  • inocha
    inocha Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2015
    preparation is the key to success.

i make a lot of food in advance. this friday i made these: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/03/morning-glory-muffins/

the website has a lot of good breakfasts. they have a kale and chorizo frittata that i'll make on a sunday, have one piece that morning, and have the other five pieces throughout the week.

Very nice.Thanks!

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited April 2015
    Hard boiled eggs or scrambled eggs, turkey bacon and bread that maybe I toast (depends on time). I don't have kids, but I hate getting up in the morning. If I really want it, sometimes I'll eat leftovers for breakfast, because hey it's food too.
    Also like Capt_Apollo I make a spinach fritatta based off a medieval recipe, I just omit the shell - http://medievalcookery.com/recipes/spinach.html
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Are you feeding 5 kids and yourself? I predict that what you eat and what your kids may eat for breakfast may vary. Is this quick and easy breakfast for 5 kids (and without knowing the ages food being prepare for).

I grew up on cereal, toast, and pop tarts as a kid (I know, eehhhhwwww) except weekends when a bigger breakfast was served like eggs, bacon, or pancakes or fruit salad...

BTW oatmeal is outlawed in my house as my husband can't stand oatmeal no matter how you cook the oatmeal and not matter if it steel or rolled... I am plenty ok with that...
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    What is your go to quick breakfast?

I have 5 kids, and we have to be out the house by 9 AM every morning. I dont have enough time to sit down and cook a meal. So, whats your breakfast of choice, and about how many calories are we looking at?

Out the door by 9 am sounds like a mini vacation to me. I usually make a bunch of egg frittata muffins on Sunday so that during the week I can pop them in the microwave and throw them on an English muffin for a quick and easy breakfast sandwich. Depending on what condiments I use it is usually about 200-250 calories.