I HATE Running!

Options
More specifically running for a looooonnnggg period of time.
I'm sure I'm not the only one. . . .

For me it's very boring (with the exception of sprints), how do you get over that?

Right now I can elliptical while watching Netflix, but even that gets a little old to me.

I'm quite physically strong, but want to get more in shape on the cardio side of things.
Can I be both?

What's a good way to start?
How did you all start? Running mailboxes? On a treadmill?

I'm interested in your responses.
Who knows, maybe I'll finally be able to get my butt moving :smile:

Thanks for your input,
"K"
Female/19

Replies

• fghtffyrDEMONS
    fghtffyrDEMONS Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Of course you can be both!
    If you want to become a "runner" then I would recommend the couch to 5K plan. I absolutely love the RunDouble app for Android (I think it is also available for iPhone). There are several plans on that app such as the couch to 5k plan, 5k to 10k, half-marathon training and the 5k improver plan.

I used to be so afraid to run outside and now I prefer it to being in the gym!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I used to find running boring, too. But the better I got at it, the more I enjoyed it. Though, that seems to be the case with a lot of things... not much is fun if you aren't good at it.

As for getting started, start slow and do what you can. Push yourself for the sake of improving, not having fun. Or, do something else that is more enjoyable - dance, bike, hike, swim. Cardio comes in 1000s of forms.

Lastly, if you want to run but just can't do road running, try trail running. It's a totally different animal, both physically and mentally.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you don't like running, have you considered doing different Cairo like some HIIT workouts that don't involve machines? FitnessBlender.com has some fun, challenging stuff.motherwose, I'd start with Couch to 5K, either outside or on the treadmill, your preference.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It takes long enough to get to enjoy running that many people don't last quite that long. The suggestions of couch to 5K are good ones. If you really want to get into running, even if you don't enjoy it now, you might consider ways to keep yourself occupied while doing it. Music is always an option, as is something like the "Zombies, Run!" app. I'm a long-time runner, but I have come to love ZR. (Currently waiting for the episodes for the next season to arrive.)

The app tells the story of a post-zombie-apocalypse world, set mostly in England, interweaving music from your playlists between story segments. It's pretty well written, and certainly distracting. You can optionally to include "zombie chases," such that periodically you have to pick up your pace so you don't get "caught" and lose supplies. It's all a bit silly, to be sure, but every little bit helps. I know there are other similar apps as well, but ZR is the one I'm most familiar with.

Also, I'll include the usual recommendation to get fitted for shoes at a running specialty store, to start and build slowly, etc. Happy running!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    There are ways to learn to love running, but I feel like I repeat myself way too many times here, but here it goes again: I do not run. At all. I speed walk and walk high incline intervals on the treadmill and I alternate with the elliptical at high intensity and I have people ask me all the time if I'm a runner or how much I run. None. You can get in great shape by walking with speed and intensity.

But, if you want to learn to love running, please listen to the advice already given. Either way, just moving is going to make a difference. Be consistent!
  • bridgetterice92
    bridgetterice92 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have 5k runner for iPhone. I think it was like $1.99 but there are probably free ones out there!
    I like it aloooooot. It has a plan already set out for you and it's a good good workout.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Get a dog! Hahaha....well in all honesty I think that is the only reason I enjoying just running to run, otherwise find something you actually like. You don't HAVE to run to get in shape.
  • NeverGiveUpKMV
    NeverGiveUpKMV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input :smiley:

I do enjoy other versions of cardio, especially sculpt yoga.

Most of you mentioned the couch to 5K plan, so I'll take a look at that for sure!

Also, I love the idea of the "Zombies, Run!" app! It seems like a lot of fun, I just downloaded it. Will try it tomorrow morning :smiley: I have special shoes already with orthodics included so I should be set with that.

I'll look into the 5K runner, it would be so fulfilling to run that far (well, far to me!)

I have two dogs, actually! But sadly, I'm away at college now and living in a dorm. I'll run this summer with them :blush:

Again, thank you all, you were all so helpful!
    Happy running to everyone that posted, good luck with your fitness!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you hate running, don't run! There are other cardio options - kickboxing, cycling, find a good HIIT workout, etc.

OR if you want to give running a shot - I'll second the c25k program, which made a runner out of me at the age of 43, after hating and avoiding the process most of my life. But it's something I can do almost anywhere, I felt like giving myself a challenge, so I went for it. And I like it! I'm pretty much a 3-5 miler, no desire to run a marathon, or even a half at this point, but I like being able to get out and grab 3 miles when I want to.

To avoid boredom, get outdoors as much as possible and stay off the machines. I don't live in a super cold climate, but I get out there even in freezing temps, fog, rain (although I will avoid a complete downpour and lightning), etc. In summer, I'm out the door early, usually at dawn, to beat the heat. It's peaceful being out so early and watching the sun crest the horizon.

Another boredom buster - download the Zombies, Run! app - they also have a 5k trainer version! A story plays out in your headphones with your own playlist of music, and during the songs there are times when you have to run faster to avoid the zombies! It's a genius app, and very entertaining, and certainly not boring. Nothing makes me bust out a sprint like the sound of zoms breathing in my ear! :worried: You also have the option to turn the zombie chases off, so you still get the story, and each run is a "mission" where you're out to collect supplies, or whatever. Check it out online.

• frank6666
    frank6666 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it as well, until I was able to do a couple of KMs in a row. You need to start slow and give yourself some time.

Now I can say that running is my "me" time. I go outside alone, no kids, no phone, no stress. I bring my music and do KMs. I used to hate it but now I need it
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. It's bad for you.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    How to get over not liking to run ? Buy a bike
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I hate running. So I don't run. Find something you don't hate , and do that instead
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Me too. I think it sucks so much. I don't do it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I hate running. So I don't. I ride my bike, take long walks with my dog, and jump on my rebounder.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I thinking ot really love running until I got to half-marathon distances (13 miles). At that point I became aware of the endorphins, the "runner's high," and I was totally hooked. Before that I liked running because of the long-term effects it had on my body and allowing me to eat as much as I wanted, but I did not yet love running. I loved being outside. I loved feeling like I could run forever. I loved the sense of being my body and being in such good shape, the sense of well-being and connectedness, creative thinking. Unfortunately, I did too much running and needed major surgery on my foot and ankle, which ended my running. I now get all of the same benefits from long-distance swimming, but being in a pool is boring compared to being outside.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    More specifically running for a looooonnnggg period of time.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one. . . .

For me it's very boring (with the exception of sprints), how do you get over that?

Right now I can elliptical while watching Netflix, but even that gets a little old to me.

I'm quite physically strong, but want to get more in shape on the cardio side of things.
    Can I be both?

What's a good way to start?
    How did you all start? Running mailboxes? On a treadmill?

I'm interested in your responses.
    Who knows, maybe I'll finally be able to get my butt moving :smile:

Thanks for your input,
    "K"
    Female/19

If you hate running, then don't run. There are hundreds of other cardiovascular fitness methodologies to do including:
    - biking
    - hiking
    - swimming
    - tennis
    - volleyball (especially on the sand/beach)
    - ultimate frisbie
    - ERG (rowing)
    - Crossfit
    - Cardio classes (many varieties)
    - Video programs like Insanity, T25, etc.
    - Etc. Etc. Etc.

If you don't like to run, don't. But likely, when you get more cardio fitness, you'll find running easier and may actually enjoy it from time to time.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If you hate it, don't do it.

Life's too short.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    join a running club. You will meet lots of people and it helps the time pass on long runs. bring your music with you and have a great playlist. my running club has all different levels, Im sure you can find one with the same. Some people in my group do interval training. Run 4 minutes, walk one and repeat. Its not my cup of tea, but several people run complete marathons with this method. It might work for you....