5'5 needing to lose 50 lbs (HELP)

Options
CHARLYAM
CHARLYAM Posts: 19
edited April 2015 in Getting Started
Hey! To all MFP 5'5 who are also wanting to shred around 50lbs/ 23kgs do you have any tips, tricks or advice on how you've done it or plan to do it? Meal plans/ideas, workout routines? Any help would be great! Keen on new changes and better choices! Would love to join with others who have the same goal and wanting to achieve it! I'm only a friend request away :)

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Adding you! I've lost just over 50 lbs and I am 5'5 :)
  • CHARLYAM
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »
    Adding you! I've lost just over 50 lbs and I am 5'5 :)

Accepted. And congratulations on such an amazing achievement! :) I can't wait till I get to that stage! :)
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just added you! I'm 5'4 but also looking to lose about 50 lbs. :)
  • CHARLYAM
    Options
    maura1110 wrote: »
    Just added you! I'm 5'4 but also looking to lose about 50 lbs. :)

Accepted. Whohoo welcome aboard! Can't wait to share and support one another in reaching our goal
  • beautychicks
    beautychicks Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Me too
  • fghtffyrDEMONS
    fghtffyrDEMONS Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Added! I've lost about 29 and I have about 48 to go!
  • eat_run_play
    eat_run_play Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i am about 5'5 ish... lost 30 at one time, gained some back now trying to lose about 7-10
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    5'4. Lost 30 pounds in the last 12 or 13 weeks. Still got another 12 pound sto go, and will see what my goals will be by then :)

I eat chicken/turkey everyday of the week, in some form or another (cold meat from packs, or for dinner its almost chicken breast). Super lean, lots of protein, and not many calories compared to other meats. + you could do quite alot with some simple chicken breast fillets.
    Chicken with some paprika
    Chicken with some garlic powder, garlic butter, or something similar
    Breaded chicken
    Stuff the chicken with some vegetables, or normal stuffing
    Chicken Parmesan
    Chicken/Pasta bakes (i like carbonara type sauce for that. but tomato sauces are nice too)
    Have them with Roast dinners
    + you could cook an entire week of chicken fillets in the oven in one go/sitting, and just freeze them, taking them out the night before you want them each time. Then just microwaving for 2 minutes, saves cooking time during the week
    Sorry, am a big chicken fan haha :smiley:
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    5'6", lost 49 out of 70ish, eating pretty much the same foods as before but less of them. And I took up running about 19 pounds ago.

Changes i have made:

-Weighing everything and filling the plate with veggies and lean protein while cutting down on breads and pastas. I still have them, but the days of eating two sandwiches a day are gone.
    -No caloric beverages. Just not worth it to me.
    -No regular "cheat" days or meals--I eat to maintenance or don't track on special occasions and I work treats into my calories to stay sane.
    -More daily activity. I write down my steps and aim to have 20k most days. I started stepping up the activity after realizing that pretty much everyone who has kept their weight off built more movement into their day.
    -Exercise daily, including active recovery days where I just walk
    -Overcount food calories and undercount exercise calories (and I eat back most of those exercise calories, too)

But there's a lot of trial and error involved with figuring out this lifestyle (or maybe I'm just easily bored). YMMV.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Spyer116 wrote: »
    5'4. Lost 30 pounds in the last 12 or 13 weeks. Still got another 12 pound sto go, and will see what my goals will be by then :)

I eat chicken/turkey everyday of the week, in some form or another (cold meat from packs, or for dinner its almost chicken breast). Super lean, lots of protein, and not many calories compared to other meats. + you could do quite alot with some simple chicken breast fillets.
    Breaded chicken
    Chicken Parmesan
    Chicken/Pasta bakes (i like carbonara type sauce for that. but tomato sauces are nice too)
    + you could cook an entire week of chicken fillets in the oven in one go/sitting, and just freeze them, taking them out the night before you want them each time. Then just microwaving for 2 minutes, saves cooking time during the week

I'm 5'4" and it too me 10 months to lose 30 pounds...
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and lost about 60 (still struggling with the last 10 though). My best advice - be patient and consistent. Gradually make changes that you know you can stick with. Try new foods and learn to incorporate flavors that you like into healthy recipes. Learn about portion sizes and weigh your food - log everything. Find an exercise/activity that you enjoy and that you will stick with.
    Remember, patience and consistency. There will be bumps in the road and you will have bad days. Don't let it derail you.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and have lost over 135lbs. Losing weight takes a lot of patience and perseverance, but you can do it!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    5'6", lost 49 out of 70ish, eating pretty much the same foods as before but less of them. And I took up running about 19 pounds ago.

Changes i have made:

-Weighing everything and filling the plate with veggies and lean protein while cutting down on breads and pastas. I still have them, but the days of eating two sandwiches a day are gone.
    -No regular "cheat" days or meals--I eat to maintenance or don't track on special occasions and I work treats into my calories to stay sane.
    -More daily activity. I write down my steps and aim to have 20k most days. I started stepping up the activity after realizing that pretty much everyone who has kept their weight off built more movement into their day.
    -Overcount food calories and undercount exercise calories (and I eat back most of those exercise calories, too)

But there's a lot of trial and error involved with figuring out this lifestyle (or maybe I'm just easily bored). YMMV.

I should also mention that I do 16:8 to control hunger
  • Spyer116
    Options
    Oh, forgot about just general tips/tricks haha.
    Don't be too strict. Set yourself some daily calorie goals with mfp. And try track your food.
    You can still eat chocolate, or some other sweets and junk food most days too, just account for their calories, and try stay within your daily calorie limit. That way, your dieting wont seem so strict or horrible, if you're still allowing yourself those yummy treats :)
    Always overestimate all your portion sizes/calories when inputting them in. And always round upwards, rather than down. That helps make sure, that with any inaccuracies, you're at least eating less than what you're counting. The latter, being eating more than your daily limit, which would then slow down or stop the weight loss :open_mouth:

High protein meals are good, as protein makes you feel full for longer

If you have access to a gym, try go and do some strength/resistance workouts and training. You definitely wont get muscly or anything. But if you give your muscles a proper working out - you'll burn similar amount of calories to a similar amount of time of doing cardio such as walking/jogging/etc. But your body would burn hundreds of calories more in the coming 1-2+ days, just repairing/rebuilding your muscles.

And supplement wise just if you're really looking for extra stuff - there's no miracle or amazing ones that'll work wonders. But Green Tea Extract + caffeine are great at increasing metabolism/heart-rate a little bit and appetite reduction. (Have to cycle it on and off. as your body gains a tolerance pretty quick. One week doing it, one week break. Repeat)
  • Spyer116
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm 5'4" and it too me 10 months to lose 30 pounds...

WEll I was pretty overweight / had a high bf%, so that'd be part of it I guess - easier to lose fat when you're overweight, then when you're already lean. Started at 182 pounds. now down to just under 152. Goal is currently 140, and see where I am there, before deciding my next goal.
    It was pretty crazy though, i'd be going to the gym 8-10 times / week. Doing strength training 3 of those times. And burning 600-800 cals each day on cardio machines. And walking 20-30+ miles / week outside the gym. All while cutting calories too
  • CHARLYAM
    Options
    i am about 5'5 ish... lost 30 at one time, gained some back now trying to lose about 7-10

That's awesome! Here to support and motivate you in your journey :)
  • CHARLYAM
    Options
    Spyer116 wrote: »

Breaded chicken
    Chicken Parmesan

Wow! What a great achievement! Congrats :) awesome thanks for the meal ideas! I am also a huge fan of chicken! Lol did you put the chicken in containers or ziplock bags? And did it taste weird being stored in them as I've heard from others that it didn't taste good and tasted like plastic... cheers :)
  • CHARLYAM
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    I am 5'5" and have lost over 135lbs. Losing weight takes a lot of patience and perseverance, but you can do it!

WOOOOW!!! Congrats on your weight loss achievement! :) What motivated you in keeping to your weight loss goal and how often would you work out during the week? Cheers :)
  • CHARLYAM
    Options

Changes i have made:

Awesome weight loss achievement! :) Thanks for the tips and advice will definitely work in those things that apply to me and slowly but surely work it off by the end of the year :)
  • CHARLYAM
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »
    I'm 5'5" and lost about 60 (still struggling with the last 10 though). My best advice - be patient and consistent. Gradually make changes that you know you can stick with. Try new foods and learn to incorporate flavors that you like into healthy recipes. Learn about portion sizes and weigh your food - log everything. Find an exercise/activity that you enjoy and that you will stick with.
    Remember, patience and consistency. There will be bumps in the road and you will have bad days. Don't let it derail you.

Thanks so much for your honesty! Also congrats on your weight loss achievement! :) will definitely take on your advice and experiences.. Two questions was there ever a day where you skipped logging your food? And did you notice a difference in weighing food compared to not doing it? Thanks again :)