Summer of Change: Student Edition (New Group)

Options
So, I've been scanning the groups on MFP and I haven't found any that really fit me. So I thought of an idea to create a group geared towards college students.
We are all home for summer (or almost home) and we need a little motivation to keep us in shape this summer before going back to school.
I figure each week we could have a new thread/topic dealing with our struggles, accomplishments, and questions for each other.
I could also message everyone a challenge each week. Each week it might be different.. Motivational, fitness, eating etc.
It will end August 31st.
What does everyone think? I'm up for suggestions, this is my first time doing a group on here.
The challenges will start Wednesday if there's enough people.

Introduce yourself!

Name:
Why you want to join this group?:
Goals for summer:
SW:
CW:
GW (for August 30th):
Any suggestions/comments:

Replies

• Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea!
    My name is Bridget Gibson,
    22 years old, English Major/Poli Sci minor.
    This seems like a fun group....
    My goal for this summer is to drop 20 pounds, tone up, and be a healthier version of me!

SW: 184
    CW: 179
    GW: 155.
  • kayladiane5
    kayladiane5 Posts: 94
    Options
    Name: Kayla
    Major/minor: Political Science/International studies with a Law and possible Spanish minor (going to be a sopomore)
    Why you want to join this group?: Well I started it :)
    Goals for summer: Get in shape again, lose some weight!
    SW: 222
    CW: 220
    GW (for August 30th): 200 by September 1st.
  • AwkwardPumpkin
    AwkwardPumpkin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love this!
    Name: Trish
    Major/minor: Object Design (Fine Arts)
    Why you want to join this group?: Need some motivation/support
    Goals for summer: To get fit and get active, change my lifestyle
    SW: 260
    CW: 249.6
    GW (for August 30th): 190
    This is such a great idea.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Name: Jennifer
    Major/minor: Business major, marketing
    Why you want to join this group?: It'd be nice to have friends who're in the same boat!
    Goals for summer: vacationing with my best friend, looking hot in a bikini, having a great summer!
    SW: 170
    CW: 154
    GW (for August 30th): 140

:bigsmile:
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    I love this!

Name: Jolteon. Just go with it, lol. Jolt is fine.
    Age: 18 in two weeks. Probably the youngest here, eep! But I'll be a sophomore next year.
    Major/minor: Business Management major. Undecided minor, maybe Italian Studies with a focus in language.
    Why you want to join this group?: I'm going to be a new transfer student at my school next year, so I want to look fabulous and have the confidence to spend all the time I want at the gym and rec center :)
    Goals for summer: Train for next year's NYC bike marathon by making biking my regular cardio activity. Have noticeable abs when I flex (pleasepleaseplease.) Tone up in general :)

SW: 120.5. I'd lost down to ~113 over the fall, but I let the holidays and a winter intercession in Rome get the better of me.
    CW: 118.5 ish? Haven't weighed myself in a while, but if anything it's more.
    GW (for August 30th): Around 113. Anywhere between 110-115 with a bit of muscle is fine by me.

Any suggestions/comments: When do we weigh in?
  • newkay
    newkay Posts: 20
    Options
    Name: k
    Major/minor: communication / business management
    Why you want to join this group?: because... im getting lazy
    Goals for summer: 15lbs
    SW:170 (160 in january)
    CW:143
    GW (for August 30th):128
    Any suggestions/comments: if anyone has some good recipes they want to post randomly.. i LOVE healthy recipes..
  • Abaestuo
    Abaestuo Posts: 4
    Options
    This is such an awesome idea! Motivation is key. [:

Name: Elisha
    Major/minor: Design/International Relations (Double Major)
    Why you want to join this group?: To keep myself motivated while helping others!
    Goals for summer: Get Back in Triathlon shape. (Basically to tone up, gain muscle, lose fat, and increase endurance)
    SW:143
    CW: 141
    GW (for August 30th): 130
    Any suggestions/comments: We should all add each other and figure out a way to post weekly checkins and workouts! :D
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    Name: Abby
    Major/minor: Music and Anthropology double major, also Pre-med
    Why you want to join this group?: This sounds cool! You never usually get in contact with tons of people your own age... :)
    Goals for summer: Continue eating well, in moderation; limit grains and dairy and sugary stuff in general; lose the weight I gained back
    SW: 163
    CW: 155
    GW (for August 30th): 140
    Any suggestions/comments: This is the most legit group idea EVER. Also, my current television crushes are Jesse Spencer, aka "Chase" from House, and both Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles from Supernatural.
  • kirstinalexis
    Options
    This will be my first group on here!

Name: Kirstin
    Major/minor: Microbiology (major), Performance Percussion (minor)
    Why you want to join this group?: Sometimes it can be hard to stay motivated when all your friends are eating out and eating junk, or not working out. In short, I need people to hold me accountable :]
    Goals for summer: Tone up and lose weight!
    SW: 152
    CW: 145
    GW (for August 30th): 130 (1 lb/week)
  • sweetage123
    sweetage123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE IT :D
    Name: Brianna
    Major: Chemistry/ Pre-Pharmacy
    Why I want to join this group: I appreciate talking and sharing ideas with other people in the same situation, and we all know its definitely easier to find time for ourselves in the summer than during the busy school year!
    SW: 165
    CW: 156
    GW: 140-145ish

Hmm, maybe we could have weekly weigh-ins, see who is making the best progress. A lot of groups make those nifty little progress tables if anyone knows how to do that. Maybe weekly challenges? Who knows!
  • AllyV0621
    AllyV0621 Posts: 81
    Options
    Name: Ally
    Major: Psych, but ultimate goal is nursing. Long story.
    Why do you want to join this group?: Looks like a great way to swap encouragement with people who have similar goals, and be challenged in a way that fits me.
    Goals for the summer: Wear my bikini confidently and buy a great-fitting pair of size FIVE pants
    SW: 140-143 ish (didn't have a scale at that point)
    CW: 131
    GW: 120

Anyone else taking summer classes? I'm trying to graduate a semester early, and I'm going to attempt to balance summer sessions, work, and gym time.
  • lizzy_09
    lizzy_09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Name: Lizzy
    Major/minor: Business, Accounting
    Why you want to join this group?: Motivation!
    Goals for summer: Lose wieght of course. cut down on sugars and sodium!
    SW: 271
    CW: 245
    GW (for August 30th): 200!
  • sweetage123
    sweetage123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    PS- I tried to go down and add people from the group, but apparently you can only send 5 friend requests every 10 minutes.... so if anyone would like to add me feel free :)
  • AllyV0621
    AllyV0621 Posts: 81
    Options
    PS- I tried to go down and add people from the group, but apparently you can only send 5 friend requests every 10 minutes.... so if anyone would like to add me feel free :)

i discovered that to lol
  • daynel23
    daynel23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Name: Daynel Laureano
    Major/minor: Political Science:
    Why you want to join this group?: I need positive people who have a common goal:to lose weight; become healthier; and feel better about themselves
    Goals for summer: Going to Puerto Rico On JUly 1 and i havent seen my family in four years so i want to be 20 pounds lighter
    SW: 190
    CW: 190
    GW (for August 30th): 150
    Any suggestions/comment: WE can do this. Commitment; determination; focus will get us to our goals?
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Oh, and there's a super hot Aussie coming to play basketball for our University, and I'd like to be a little more confident and have the nerve to talk to him.. :)
  • lizzy_09
    lizzy_09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hey~~ so glad for a group! In consideration that I just start using this instead of a classy pen and paper..feel free to add me!! lolz Lizzy!
  • neuroticlin89
    neuroticlin89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i lovee the idea of this.

Name: Farzana
    Major/minor: Psychology
    Why you want to join this group?: We all share something in common that is most likely going to affect our goals, which is the fact that we're all college students and we share a common age range. It'll be easier to relate to each other and a great place for motivation!

Goals for summer:
    SW: 135
    CW: 125
    GW (for August 30th): 110

We should definitely share tips, meal plans and workout routines that we've found to be the most effective.
  • kayladiane5
    kayladiane5 Posts: 94
    Options
    I noticed a lot of you are asking about weigh-ins. I'm going to create an excel chart with all of the group members names once everyone commits. (Thank god I took a Microsoft office class)
    Since challenges start Wednesday maybe we could say that weigh ins must be completed by Tuesday night? This means if you weigh in on Monday.. you could submit it to me and I will update it.
    I will use your starting weight that you gave to me on here.
    Sound good?
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    Sounds groovy! :)