feet falling asleep

help?

My feet fall asleep while running, around mile 2 or 3 they will fall sleep and stay asleep unless I stop, they will eventually stop after running on them like that for about 2 miles but it's making me nuts....it doesn't happen every run, but it's enough to make me miserable. It seems to happen when my calves get tight? And sometimes if I run on my toes it will make them stop, but not always.

I used to think it was my shoes, and went and got fitted at a running store, even mentioned it to the lady and still not much improvement...my laces aren't tight, I feel decent other than this....

advice?

Replies

• WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    This happens to me too sometimes. I'm not sure what causes it. My laces are also not the problem, as I purposefully tie them less tight to prevent it from happening.

Would be interested to see if anyone else has some insight on this.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    at least we aren't alone? do your calves get really tight and it happens?

Sometimes I don't have any issues, maybe it's how we are landing?
  • Bridge_912
    Bridge_912 Posts: 8 Member
    this happened to me today, too! it went kind of numb and I had to stop 3 times. I was only 15 min into it/
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    It used to happen to me and the problem was pressure on the top of my foot from my shoes. The running store swore by the shoes, but they cut off circulation anyway.

Another thought (about the calf cramps) is maybe protein is too low (since you are vegan, there's a chance) or your electrolytes are out of balance. You might also find that strengthening your anterior tibialis helps.
  • veganbettie
    i for sure probably don't get enough protein.

I kind of thought it could be diet, haven't been paying enough attention to that lately.

I really like my shoes...I hope it's not my shoes. I've read that some people size up in shoes and that seems to solve the problem, but i can't imagine going any bigger or having a better fit....so weird.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Do you do any foam rolling of your calves and hamstrings? If one of those areas is tight it could be compressing a nerve and causing the issue as well.

I also know a friend with ankle mobility issues that cause swelling around the nerves and makes her feet numb. She does ankle mobility work and foam rolling.
  • veganbettie
    no, but i do have issues with sciatica pain if my hamstrings are tight, maybe i should invest in a roller...that was my next idea.

smart stuff, thank you!