Yes Lord! Words shouldn't mean that much to me...but they do!

Options
NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
Yesterday, I saw someone I hadn't seen in sometime (on my afternoon walk) and they told me I look like I'm losing weight (I'm NOT). That was pretty encouraging, especially because I fought the desire to say something negative about myself (like I'm not losing weight, I'm bigger than I ever have been or something like that). But I'm posting today, because of what someone (a stranger) said to me today. I was with my teen daughter, and this lady asked me if she was my daughter. I joked with her and said "no, actually she's my mom and I'm her daughter"...she looked puzzled and said "wow, she looks mature, but no more than 16 years old. I told her I was joking and she said, she was thinking that couldn't be, because I look like I'm 35 years old. Now, I can't tell you how much that means to me, because I'm in my mid-50's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All this to day, this stranger telling me I look like I'm 35 years old has put a SPARK in me. I'm going to begin to work-out harder and eat better, starting as soon as I get done posting this. I know words (especially from strangers) should move me one way or another, but this lady telling me I look 35 is thrilling to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have any other "words" (especially encouraging words) someone has spoken to/about you that sparked a "it's time to get fit and fine FOR REAL" ? Pls. share!

Replies

• htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Whatever motivates you to start! Some of my motivation was my daughter telling me I never stick to anything.
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!

My son came home from college last week and said "mom, you have to stop this new fit/healthy thing" I said "why, you miss the junk food when you come home" He said "no, someone thought you were my sister!"

I loved it- keeps me on track!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Bj0223 wrote: »
    That's awesome!!

My son came home from college last week and said "mom, you have to stop this new fit/healthy thing" I said "why, you miss the junk food when you come home" He said "no, someone thought you were my sister!"

I loved it- keeps me on track!

{{{{{ Fabulous post, I <3 it!!!!! }}}}}}}} Thank you so much for your encouraging and super motivating post!

• wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Win. =D

OP: Grats! I personally don't think it matters what gets you going, as long as you get going, and keep getting back onto the wagon. I like it when people notice that I've lost some weight. Usually it's people that I haven't seen in a while. Most of my close friends don't say anything, but my family does. :)

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    htg20 wrote: »
    Whatever motivates you to start! Some of my motivation was my daughter telling me I never stick to anything.

Yep, I totally understand that (what your daughter said) being motivating too--bigtime! Thanks for posting.

• Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    wow!!! lucky you!! so happy for you!! :) unfortunately for me my reason to get serious about my health is all the negative words that come my way. I am 27 but get called middle aged lol and strangers are brutally frank about my body. It makes me feel worthless so I am gonna change that :)
  • IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I saw someone from high school that I had not seen in probably five years. He did not recognize me and thought my husband had remarried. It was hilarious and uplifting. It came at the perfect time because I was losing steam and starting to fall off track.

I love the NSVs way more than the scale victories.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I saw someone from high school that I had not seen in probably five years. He did not recognize me and thought my husband had remarried. It was hilarious and uplifting. It came at the perfect time because I was losing steam and starting to fall off track.

I love the NSVs way more than the scale victories.

YES!!!!!! That's a fabulous NSV report and I totally agree, so uplifting and funny too. Thought about the comment to me about being 35, and took my tail out in the rain walking this morning--thought about if I get these excess 50lbs off, maybe I'd look like I was 18 or 20 years old again, well....okay, maybe 25 years old :o:*B)o:)

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    That's great. When it gets tough, remember this feeling, look back at this post. It's motivating.
  • 0505jen
    0505jen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Stay with it, my daughter says I look younger than I did in a picture from 12 years ago!
  • Smiley_Emi123
    Smiley_Emi123 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I said hi to an older neighbour a couple weeks ago ,while on a walk with my daughter and he was a bit strange, saw him again last weekend but this time I was on the Portch he apologized for not recognizing me said last time he really saw me was right after I had my son (10 months ago during summer). Probably because I've lost half of me!! Lol!
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If you look through before and after pics of success stories, so many of the members look younger! Most seem to take better care personal sppearance and have happier smiles!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    wow!!! lucky you!! so happy for you!! :) unfortunately for me my reason to get serious about my health is all the negative words that come my way. I am 27 but get called middle aged lol and strangers are brutally frank about my body. It makes me feel worthless so I am gonna change that :)

{{{{ <3 Hugs <3 }}}} Girl, that sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me nursery rhyme I I learned years ago, well...not sure how true it is, or may be I haven't arrived at that "cool" place of not caring what people say about me. Old as I am, words can still affect me somewhat. but ya know...thinking this over, I speak enough negative stuff to myself (self-talk) than anybody ever can or has :# . People have said negative or nasty things to me about my weight before, but for some reason...it didn't PUSH me like this positive word did--it's like it's more REAL and doable to me now. It's like her telling me that gave me another "vision" of myself (cause I can really see myself looking 35 or even younger, if I consistently do what it takes to get these 50lbs off (and keep them off).

P.S. I think you look totally GORGEOUS--just fyi

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My 20 year old son said one day, "It's like you're a hardbody now."

An elderly lady I was taking care of in the ER was surprised when she asked me if I had kids and told her, "Yes." When I said that she sounded surprised, she replied, "You don't look old enough to have kids." I giggled and said, "Yes, they are almost 21 and almost 24." Being 5'1" and so much smaller probably helps to make me appear young.

My co-workers are constantly calling me "skinny," which I don't think I am close to skinny, and they are incredulous when they ask me how much more I want to lose and I say "about 10 pounds."
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Win. =D

OP: Grats! I personally don't think it matters what gets you going, as long as you get going, and keep getting back onto the wagon. I like it when people notice that I've lost some weight. Usually it's people that I haven't seen in a while. Most of my close friends don't say anything, but my family does. :)

Ya know, it was so pleasant for the lady I hadn't seen in sometime to tell me I'm looking like I've lost some weight...but that saying I look 20 something years younger B) than I am, I'm telling ya, that's YET in my heart and mind and is STILL keeping me pushing myself. I love that so much--it's got me going bigtime.

• alina9944
    alina9944 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When people ask if I have kids...two days ago same question was asked I replyed yep, two boys 20 and 17, and I got that look 'No Way!!!'
  • alina9944
    alina9944 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh, another one...my oldest 20y/o asked me to delete one of the pic of us on FB because "everyone thinks you're my girlfriend" lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Hmm...Someone told me I looked like I weighed 125 when I was still almost 140. I was like, erm-no. But it made me feel good, and it kept me going :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    That's great. When it gets tough, remember this feeling, look back at this post. It's motivating.

I really am...this afternoon, I really wanted to stop, but needed about 400 or so more steps to get my 10,000 steps in for the day (in addtion to other stuff). Ugh--I thought about looking & feeling younger (35 B) ) and healthier...So, I made myself walk around the block an extra time and by the time I got home, I made over 10,500 steps. So thinking about this post was a motivator for me today for sure!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!