• MNgal43
    MNgal43 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks much :-)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    MNgal43 wrote: »
    I am not sure the more I think about it. I think if I join some groups here and stay within my calorie range and exercise and eat healthy I can do this! I love Leslie Sansone and jogging for exercise.

I was just going to suggest that. Join a group or two and that helps a lot :)
  • bobbiedr
    bobbiedr Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of WW since July 2014. I have lost about 15lbs since then. It should have been more, but I didn't follow the plan as well as I should have. If I kept on plan, then I would have lost a lot more. I joined it with my brother's fiancé so that we could lose weight for the wedding. We were doing the meetings. She started doing low carb on January, but still attended the meetings with me. As of last week, she officially cancelled it, while I swity to just doing online only. At first, the meetings were great, but after a while they just started to get repetitive, and I feel like I got all I could out of them. The group was great, though, and I liked our leader. I'm going to stick with WW at least until after the wedding, in May. I've done really good on it, and I've lost around 7lbs in the last 3 weeks. I like WW because you get "weekly" points, so if you go over your daily points, then you have weekly points to "splurge" with. What I don like about it is that my HRM doesn't do much in terms of calculating my activity points, but I just learned that Fitbit will sync with the app, and I've been thinking about getting one.

I've been a member, off and on, of MFP for years. I love that you can have "friends" on here to help with accountability, that there's a great community, and that it's free. After the wedding, I'm going to decide if I want to stick with WW or quit that and go back to MFP. I'm leaning more towards MFP, but we'll see.

Anyways, the point is I've done both, and like both. I enjoyed the people in my meetings. It's all up to what works for you.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    The thing maybe you are thinking about weight watchers for is definitely something you can NOT get at MFP. That is stepping on a scale, face to face with someone and having them track your weight. If this is something you need to help you stay motivated...go for it. Weight watchers clearly is a solid weight loss organization and works well for tons of people!

I was thinking of doing WW in January but then MFP all clicked for me and I've been on a roll. Only you can decide what is best for you!
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    MNgal43 wrote: »
    Hi Tekkiechikk .- exactly. I was thinking that too. I just don't know. I don't want to count points but I thought for the meetings and live support and recognition? But then I am not really doing there program so I don't know if I should. Ugh

Even if you aren't following their plan it would be interesting to see if counting calories would get you the same results as the "points" system. I say go for at least a couple months just to do that experiment, lol. I have two friends going to WW meetings and I am thinking of joining them just for that purpose, and also the face to face social aspect.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My mom did a program through the local hospital that was essentially WW. Same type of counting and meetings, but it was a lot cheaper. She said it was helpful in finding ways to adjust her eating, but wasn't needing it for support. If you don't have a circle of friends able to help, it might be helpful.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I love Weight Watchers and I actually find it easier to lose weight on WW then on MFP. Unfortunately, I can no longer afford WW so I'll stick to this since it's free.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am a Lifetime member of WW so I get eTools free every month. I've gone back and forth for years between calorie counting and point tracking. I'm curently just using eTools point system for tracking. I've managed to maintain successfully for the past 3 years doing it this way. The only time I have had to pay to weigh in is when I missed a month. As of today I am 15 pounds below my WW goal weight so I think counting calories or doing the WW point system both work fine as long as you stick to it.