April 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - well said! nobody warned my about any of these things when I first joined this challenge, and here I am now, wondering if three pairs of running shoes are really enough or if I should by another pair... ;-)

LOL The warning went unheeded. I just bought a second pair so I could alternate. Now . . . what's this three- to four-pair idea about?

For me, since I alternate pairs daily (to help their cushioning regenerate), and pairs are good for about 300-500 miles, I'll have a new one I'm barely breaking in (to make sure they don't blister me) for an upcoming race, I'll have a pair that is halfway through use that I'll use every other day, I'll have a 3rd older pair on its last legs that I'll use to alternate on so my new ones aren't getting too much mileage in on before my next big race, and finally I'll have a fully worn pair that I'll just use for daily wandering around.

If I was a bit more serious, I'd also have a pair of flats in the mix for racing shorter distances.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @SBRRepeat - Ok guess I will have to get some of that Bodyglide and try it on my toes! Love that you are now training for a 30k trail race!
    @Runningmischka - love your pictures! You look fantastic! Mischka definitely looks like she is smiling in the middle picture!
    @ShortMrsN - Nice hike up the hill with the entire extended family! I have been told that running hills is the best running/conditioning workout you can do. I have to drive to get to any hills but I wish I could do them more often.
    @rajnigandha21 - Nothing to forgive. There are many folks here running short mileage - we all do what we can and increase as we can/want.
    @Stoshew71 - Great job on your half! Love the pictures!! Did you get Jack Daniels at the end? :laugh: Good luck with the half this Sunday and whatever is scheduled after that!!
    @CodeMonkey78 - Love that you got in a run with your daughter! Those are the best!! Also love your profile picture!
    @dawnna76 - consider your butt kicked! Getting out there and running will make you feel better and not so bloated an hormonal. Just be sure to stretch (gently) those groin muscles before and after your run!
    @4leighbee - you are always awesome! Maybe just more awesome with intervals :)
    @corinne1977 - Congratulations on your 10K PR - I didn't see it before!! Awesome improvement!
    @_nikkiwolf_ - So glad spring is there for you! Hope it sticks!! We are finally getting some (cooler) spring weather too and I am loving it! Oh and shoes... got new ones last week (that is 3 active pairs now) and just saw that the new Skora's were released today and I WANT them!! Going to make myself wait until after my half at the end of the month though as motivation :)
    @RunRachelleRun - what @Ohhim said about rotating pairs! but it can be done with two and then three when you are between rotating one pair in and another pair out.
    Those new to this thread, beware it'll do things like get you off the treadmill and outside, it will get you running 5Ks/10Ks/HM and marathons. It will make you think "hhhmm I wonder what trail running is like and then you'll try it. Before you know it you'll be running 40 miles a week instead of 40 miles a month. You'll be buying new running shoes and posting pictures of them like they are your new grandchildren. You will come to realize this group is a family and when one of us is having a baby, we are all having a baby :smile: . Feel free to post pictures of where you run, the things you see and well anything else you want to post. :wink: I've met some of the best people on here.

^^^ I echo what @skippygirlsmom said! Welcome to all the new runners and welcome back returning friends!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    In for 50 miles!
    April 1st - 3.5 miles
    April 4th - 3.9 miles
    April 6th - 4.3 miles

Total: 11.7 miles

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ugh. Good days and bad.. A runs a run and I'll take it..

Anyone with lumbar back problems have input for me? I strongly suspect I have neurogenic claudication. I suppose I'll never be able to add significant miles without surgery. Kinda sucks. I'm still in denial that I have any issues. I see my doc in a week.

exercise.png
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    @dawnna76 run a little, because it may make you feel better. Then go curl up and eat chocolate because you are tapering AND you need to start carb loading, gosh dangit.

@JoRocka I was just wondering if you were in again this month or if you had had enough of this tomfoolery. Good to see ya.

I did a fun little 3.2 run on local hiking trails in the pouring rain this afternoon. Pro tip: skip the hills of you decide to run on deadlift day. Oy vey.

qi855orfp4ec.jpg

8.4/ 75-100 miles. I'll catch up, I promise!
  • ColleenWestico
    ColleenWestico Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    2 mi of intervals tonight. 4mi so far this month, on my way!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Date.......Miles......Total
    04/01.....4.07.......4.07 - +2 mile walk
    04/02.....5.20.......9.27 - + Strength Training
    04/03.....6.48.....15.75
    04/04...13.10.....28.85
    04/05.....0.00.....28.85 - Rest - 3 mile walk on the beach
    04/06.....7.20.....36.05

exercise.png

It was an absolutely beautiful mid-morning for a run! Cool and breezy with poofy clouds. I went out for my usual 5 and ended up going a bit over 7. I would have gone longer but my boss called me needing something and knew I was out for a run (oops). That was at mile 4 and I probably should have just turned around and headed home then. Oh well ;) I keep telling myself I need to stop doing this running longer than planned thing, doesn't seem to help. Is there such thing as Runners Anonymous? Hi - my name is Shana and I am addicted to running... :smiley:
  • corinne0805
    corinne0805 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Getting there... 6.5 today.

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Short run today as I'm in a taper.

4/1 - 6 miles
    4/4 - 6.1 miles
    4/6 - 2.3 miles

exercise.png

• johnsonnelly
    johnsonnelly Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    April 1 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    April 2 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    April 3rd, 4th, and 5th - Travel/Rest
    April 6 - 3.1 miles (5k)

exercise.png
  • Drag0nTears
    Drag0nTears Posts: 14 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Finally at it again. This past week hasn't been the best exercise wise, but did well with eating - even though Easter! Time to step it up and take this challenge seriously!!

exercise.png

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    April Goal 60 miles

4/1: unplanned and unwelcome rest
    4/2: planned rest
    4/3: 3.43
    4/4: 4.44 (no, I didn't plan that.....)
    4/5: work and church and company for dinner...oh my
    4/6: 4.15

Total 12.02
    (Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date)

exercise.png

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »
    For me, since I alternate pairs daily (to help their cushioning regenerate), and pairs are good for about 300-500 miles, I'll have a new one I'm barely breaking in (to make sure they don't blister me) for an upcoming race, I'll have a pair that is halfway through use that I'll use every other day, I'll have a 3rd older pair on its last legs that I'll use to alternate on so my new ones aren't getting too much mileage in on before my next big race, and finally I'll have a fully worn pair that I'll just use for daily wandering around.

If I was a bit more serious, I'd also have a pair of flats in the mix for racing shorter distances.

Wow, thanks for explaining. Great reasons to buy more shoes!
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    First 5km done - I ran, the child cycled. It was slow :o)
    April
    6th - 5km

exercise.png

• rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    ...I would have gone longer but my boss called me needing something and knew I was out for a run (oops). That was at mile 4 and I probably should have just turned around and headed home then. Oh well ;) I keep telling myself I need to stop doing this running longer than planned thing, doesn't seem to help. Is there such thing as Runners Anonymous? Hi - my name is Shana and I am addicted to running... :smiley:

I have been trying to train my work peeps and my home peeps for years: I am a better, nicer, friendlier and more productive person when I run. They all seem to get it now. If we could just switch the hours around so that 7.5 is running and 1.0 is working, all will be well. ;)
  • skinnyby31
    skinnyby31 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Myself and my dog just did a 5k trail run. We've signed up for a trail race the middle of April so I'm really looking forward to it.

exercise.png

• jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 3.44 miles
    4/3 - 5 miles
    4/4 - 5 miles
    4/6 - 4 miles

Note to self - chocolate and jelly beans do not make a good pre-run snack. That was the LONGEST and UGLIEST 4 miles ever.

exercise.png[\img]
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 3.8 miles (trail)
    4/4 - 11 miles
    4/5 - 3 miles
    4/7 - 5 miles

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    ...I would have gone longer but my boss called me needing something and knew I was out for a run (oops). That was at mile 4 and I probably should have just turned around and headed home then. Oh well ;) I keep telling myself I need to stop doing this running longer than planned thing, doesn't seem to help. Is there such thing as Runners Anonymous? Hi - my name is Shana and I am addicted to running... :smiley:

I have been trying to train my work peeps and my home peeps for years: I am a better, nicer, friendlier and more productive person when I run. They all seem to get it now. If we could just switch the hours around so that 7.5 is running and 1.0 is working, all will be well. ;)

LOL I used to work 7:30 to 4:30 with an hour lunch, now with running I work 8:30 - 4:30 with no lunch! My boss said he could tell when my runs were getting longer because I started to come in later and later. I finally said should I change my hours to 8:30, she said you do whatever you want it's all good with me. Hey work, stop interfering in my personal life.