259 Pounds Lost and I feel guilty.

Options
TannunisFred
TannunisFred Posts: 17 Member
edited March 2015 in Success Stories
Does anyone else ever feel guilty about their success? I lost another 3 pounds today for a total of 259 pounds. I'm super excited but also sad. I was chatted on facebook today by a wonderful 55 year old women who is super morbidly obese and afraid of dieing... I chatted with her, explained my circumstances, what I had done to lose my weight, I linked my blog post detailing my beginning, but it seemed she didn't want to hear what I was trying to say. There are no magic pills, you don't wake up the next day skinny. It's a long hard process, filled with pitfalls, traps, and anxiety. It's an addiction you can't give up because you have to eat. You take it one step at a day. You live for the NSV. You realize that you aren't dead yet. You realize mistakes happen, move on. You strive for perfection. And you reach out for support and help when you need it. I hope I helped her, but I don't think I did. I hope she feels better. I hope she takes that first step. But sadly, it left me feeling a bit guilty that I have managed to make that connection you need to begin the process of getting your life under control. Fingers crossed. Knock on wood. Please don't let me forget!

Replies

• ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I can understand that, but we've all been there, you've got to take the first step for yourself. Don't feel guilty, it's hard getting started, it's hard keeping it going, it's hard not giving up and when you do it's hard picking yourself back up. No one can do it for you but you, she's gotta figure that out for herself... don't feel bad, you can only lead a horse to water, you can't make him drink.

Gonna quote a wise man:
    "Just gotta keep on keepin' on!" - Joe Dirt
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You can lead a horse to water.....
    We can share ourselves and out path, but we can't make it anyone else's. It sounds like that woman has desire but perhaps isn't ready yet. Only she will know when she is.
    A very big congrats to you for your hard work on a long journey. Hold nothing against yourself, you've done great and she might too someday in her own way
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, every person must have that "Aha!" moment and make the decision for themselves. You can't make it for them. If we could, my father-in-law would probably still be here with us. He never made that decision and passed away a few months ago from complications from diabetes and several weight/health related issues. It sucks not having him around to enjoy his grand child.
    You've planted that seed for that lady, and now it's up to her to make the decision. Hopefully, something you said to her will take root and trigger her to take that step.
    Don't feel guilty. You made that decision, and you've come a long, long way. Great job!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    No as i was also that person on the other side whom did not want to listen regardless with all the inspiration and motivating i was shown. Only so much you can do but in the end its up to the individual. When i had my own mental shift to WANT to change is when i moved forward and been moving like a freight train since.

Huge congrats on your amazing success...
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    To you dude...omg.

cheering_minions.gif
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty. Feel proud of your hard won success. Everyone has to travel their own journey; you can't be responsible for them.
  • dawn007413
    dawn007413 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Where's your blog?
  • nassi1984
    nassi1984 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel guilty, you should feel proud because you're a total inspiration.. she just wasn't ready to see that yet.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dont feel guilty that you were willing to put the work in and she isnt... thats her problem, not yours!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right, dont feel guilty. I feel empathy for people who still struggle, but no, I dont ever feel guilty.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    There is a thing that people go through when they survive traumatic situations, it's called survivors guilt. They will feel guilty for not saving others, for simply making it when other people did not.

I can see how going through a massive weight loss might create similar feelings.

In the end there is nothing to feel guilty about. This woman has as much free will as you do to make that choice, and the best you can do is show her the way.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You have nothing to feel guilty about. You can only offer help, you can't makes anyone take it. As one of the above posters said, you have led by example and planted the hope, it's up to her to make it grow.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!