this diet is expencive

Options
2»

Replies

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you just need to learn a bit more of the basics about food, nutrition and cooking? I don't know what to suggest, other than using a couple of good-quality, sound cook books and web site (skinny-taste is good) but other people here might. Eating well is a life change. A few tips:

Use the "half of your plate" rule, which states that your meals plates should be half-filled with good veggies (salad, coloured veggies) and the other half should be the meat plus traditional starch (potatoes, rice, bread). Remember that plain frozen vegetables are very nutritious and affordable.

I am a big believer in planning. I often prep supper before heading to the office or make a stew/chilli on the weekend.

A few of our family favorites:
    - Baked salmon: farmed salmon is perfectly healthy and I get it at Costco (freezes well). Marinate portions of salmon with half each of soya sauce (low sodium) and maple syrup then bake. We love roasted broccoli or cauliflower (watch for sales for the fresh ones) with this, and it can baked at the same time as the fish, so easy!
    - Cod or other firm white fish: bake in a single layer topped with sliced cherry tomatoes, garlic or leek and capers (and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper).
    - Crock pots are great: toss in a bunch of sliced mushrooms and garlic, sprinkle with poultry seasoning, lay over chicken pieces and add liquids (I usually use chicken broth mixed with a bit of flour to thicken the sauce plus a good splash of white wine and orange juice). As soon as you get home, add in a whole pile of frozen veggies (precook them in the microwave if you are in an extra hurry). You can play with the spices (tarragon is a fresh change that we love) and the veg used.
  • ashleybarnette1986
    ashleybarnette1986 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    another down fall i have noticed with the frozen dinners is my 3yr old has started thinking we all get a diff meal at dinner and will not eat what i cook
  • Bugdude54
    Bugdude54 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Buy real food and make the meal. The frozen meals are too pricey per plate. No reason you cant feed a family of 4 chicken breast, mixed veggies and maybe some brown rice or beans for around $3-4 per person. That's like a $12 dinner.
  • Whitty1982
    Whitty1982 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Check out emeals.com
    You can choose which meal plan you like. They build your meals based on your goals and tastes - include recipes, and even make a grocery list out for you. - 14 day free trial

They will build the meal plan based on local food sales in your area when possible

youtu.be/fV8GYPxuRhk

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    another down fall i have noticed with the frozen dinners is my 3yr old has started thinking we all get a diff meal at dinner and will not eat what i cook
    Yes Cooking the same meal for everyone is best. Eating Well and Cooking Light websites have some great recipes and meal plans. You can easily do one family friendly meal and just be sure to portion yours out carefully.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Allrecipes.com has a recipe for everything, including crockpot ideas and healthy eating. It is a lot cheaper to make your own meals, portion and freeze them. Use lean meats or proteins and lots of Non-starchy vegetables to make them low calorie. It is time to experiment. And I love to cook pinto beans. Cheapest meal ever!
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Another thing to know is that you can import recipes on here to calculate calories. Just keep track of how many portions the recipe made for you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned the half plate idea. I agree with this. Since everyone eats different amounts in your family, use different sized plates. Nine inch for you, twelve inch for 3,000 calorie a day fiancee, and six inch for toddler. Eat the same things. When your plate is done, you are done. Log it all here so you get an idea what the calories are in different foods.

For lunch, you can do your own prepackaging and weighing using ziplocs.

I think you will find success by learning what appropriate portioning is. You can portion yourself without paying an arm and a leg for it.
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    Options

jgnatca wrote: »
    Someone mentioned the half plate idea. I agree with this. Since everyone eats different amounts in your family, use different sized plates. Nine inch for you, twelve inch for 3,000 calorie a day fiancee, and six inch for toddler. Eat the same things. When your plate is done, you are done.

This is great advice.