Looking for the best HR monitor/wrist band...fitbit or wait for the apple watch?

Options
I have saved up some money and want to invest in a good HR monitor/activity tracker that syncs with my phone and mfp. I have read mixed reviews on the accuracy of the Fitbit Charge HR, especially when doing high intensity work outs, or in cold weather (I live in Canada - we still have 2 feet of snow right now and more coming!). My husband thinks I should wait and get the Apple Watch since it has that fitness app and HR monitor, but I'm scared to jump into something without knowing the reviews. Plus the Fitbit is much cheaper. But the apple watch does a lot more.... What has your experience been with the FitBit Charge HR? Or is there a better product out there?

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Ultimately any HRM watch is limited-especially if it's only the watch and doesn't use a heart rate band. (From everything I've read, the bands are just more accurate). But HRM is most effective in monitoring continuing cardio activity, not HIIT, not strength training, and all numbers are an estimate.
    I can tell you my experiences-I have used a Fitbit activity tracker since they first came out-starting with the first model, then an Ultra, and then a Zip. They were fine for tracking my steps and I found myself motivated to get my numbers over 10,000 every day. I would sync them with MFP.
    I also used a Polar FT4 HRM for a few years and that was fine-again keeping in mind it was an estimate of my heart rate. I had to adjust the heart rate zones because my heart rate just seems to be higher. I could see a 170 on the watch but my perceived rate of exersion was much less.
    Now I have a Garmin Forerunner 15. It's a activity tracker, heart rate monitor, and GPS running watch. I love it. I wore it at the same time as my Zip and the step counts were in the same ballpark. I bought mine with a chest strap for the HRM. I feel that the Garmin is more accurate at estimating calories burned, etc because when I set up my account, it asked me for things like my VO2 max, resting and max heart rate, in addition to height, weight, age, gender. My polar only asked for height/weight/gender.

Really it comes down to what your goals are, and how much you spend will determine the limitations of the technology.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I use a polar HR7 Bluetooth chest strap that links to my iPhone and find it very good. It links to all of my apps ( strava, map my run/ ride, polar beat)
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I tried the Charge HR and it is very cool and seems like it would work for most average people, but for me I still had to go to my trusty Zephyr Bluetooth HRM with Digifit if I wanted an accurate heart rate above 120. I personally think that Optical just isn't there for the wrist area.
    The Scosch Rythm+ has good reviews but it only lasts 8 hours and can be sketchy for when you move your muscles in that area, like weights or cross training.

I have been looking at the Garmin Vivoactive for the interface and the battery life, it has yet to be fully baked but I will still try it. I have tried all the smartwatches and they all need to be charged every night along with my phone, along with my tablet, along with my... Ugh. The apple watch last about 18 hours from what I read, so it is like the others out there, and will be limited to try and be everything to everyone like all the others.

If you are looking for fitness as the primary goal, then you want a real fitness tracker, I love the fitbit interface, but I still had to charge the Charge HR every three days.

I want a long lasting battery, one that will last a week so I can charge it on my day off, like my Zephyr BT HRM. After much debate, I found that using my BMR with TDEE was the best method for me, with a HR montior and Digifit. Steps really don't matter to me because I will do what I can regardless of what a tracker tells me to do. They do overestimate the calories for most people, and really is just a motivational tool. For $250-300, if I can't motivate myself for that kind of money, then I really deserve to be the fat guy on the couch.

It is my opinion that these things will get better soon, but the current batch of smartwatch/HRM/Music/Calendar/tracking/Facebook/Youtube watches just aren't there yet. They look cool, but they need lots of love and attention that I am not willing to give them.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the apple watch (pre-order starts this weekend).

I also looked at the Charge (about $300), and with the apple watch starting at $350, it seems like a no-brainer.

The watch comes with a lot more features, and you know that there will be an explosion of new fitness apps which will depend on the new watch......
  • annaskiski
    Options
    I meant the Surge, I guess the Charge is the lower cost one.. Both look like they have come down in price since I looked before Christmas.

I'm guessing once the apple watch comes out, they will drop even more, so you may get a deal....
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI, here is a review from a very detailed perspective of DC Rainmaker of the Vivoactive:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/04/garmin-vivoactive-in-depth-review.html
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I would wait for the apple watch this Friday to pre-order,

What I am using now is a fitbit one to track daily activity and a garmin 610 to track runs. I don't think there is any better solution to tracking aerobic exercise calories than a newer garmin simply because they use an entirely different way of analyzing exercise heart rate that takes into account your changing fitness levels and even your degree of recovery from the last exercise session.
  • spngnetwork
    spngnetwork Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of good things about Fitbit products. I wanted to get one myself, but my wrists are too bit according the printable fitting chart. I'm going to have to earn this one :)
  • Milliepet
    Milliepet Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input, I've been thinking about buying an HR all-in-one tracker. Currently have the FitBit Flex which is OK but I would like to track my HR also. My problem is that I'm also registered with Weigh & Win and they only recognize FitBit at this time. Guess I need to keep on being patient & looking :wink:
  • annaskiski
    Options
    The apple watch has a heart rate monitor, and I can't imagine any site that will not support an apple product.....
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    As other commenters have noted, the current state of wrist-based HRMs is that they're pretty good at all-day HR monitoring, but tend not to do as well tracking HR during vigorous activity. This is likely going to be just as true of the Apple watch as it is for the current generation of Fitbit devices. If you really want accurate HR monitoring during serious exercise, your best bet is going to be a chest strap HRM. This may not be true in a year or two, but certainly seems to be now.

As has also been noted above, do keep in mind that increased accuracy for HR tracking doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get precise calorie burn measurements. Every manufacturer uses their own algorithm to derive estimates of calories burned based on HR, with the limitations mentioned about those estimates being best for cardio activities as opposed to strength stuff.

Finally, an unsolicited opinion on the Apple watch. I'm also intrigued by it, but decided to make the move on the new Garmin Fenix 3 - which I am seriously digging. Keep in mind that the first iPhone was pretty janky. The first iPad was also pretty janky. Almost without exception, the first generation of any cutting-edge Apple product has been more about establishing what the product will eventually become, as opposed to being ready to go right away. I'm more than happy to let other people find the bugs for the good people at Cupertino to address. You'll need to decide if you really want to be one of those early-adopter bug-finders. ($.02 from the cheap seats.)
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say wrist-based HRMs are bad good at all-day monitoring and bad for vigorous activity HR tracking. I find this actually depends on the watch.

From what I’ve read, especially on dcrainmaker (awesome reviews btw), there is a divide in the market: the Fitbit Charge HR is good at continuous HR monitoring and crappy at exercise HR monitoring, whereas the Mio Fuse is great at exercise HR monitoring, maybe even the best out of the wrist-based HRMs (it was spot on compared to a band in his runs), but it doesn’t continuously track HR.

I personally tried the Mio Fuse and loved it, but I also want continuous HR monitoring so I ended up taking it back. The Apple watch appeals to me as well because it seems to do both, but I’m not sure how accurate its HR optical reading tech will be. I also don’t like that you can’t try it on in stores. On the other hand, it looks to be very versatile, so even if its fitness HR functions falls short, it can at least count steps and all that. Though my iPhone already does that…

For the record @tri_bob I still have the first iPad, many years later, and it works a charm. I almost wish it broke so I’d have an excuse to upgrade it!

Anyway, it’s a tough one. I’d love to hear what you decide to do, and how it worked out for you :smile: .
  • LeslieSchoenle87
    LeslieSchoenle87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4. Basic watch with a linked chest strap. I have found it to be VERY accurate. Water resistant up to a certain depth as well which was very important for me. It's about $60 on amazon and again it's the basic so no GPS, or any special apps linked to it.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    An original iPad still doing its thing? Good on ya, Emilia777. As ever, YMMV, etc. Also, I'd completely forgotten about the Mio Fuse. This whole segment is moving very fast, and I'm really hoping that by the time I'm ready to replace the Fenix 3 that at least one device will exist with these attributes:
    • Activity monitoring (step tracking)
    • Continuous HR tracking (without chest strap)
    • Accurate HR tracking during vigorous exercise
    • Multi-sport capability with GPS
    • Automatic sleep tracking
    • Not hideous or huge (I like the look of the Fenix 3, but I look like a kid who stole his dad's watch.)
    While I'm at it, I guess I should also ask for a pony.
  • tekley81
    tekley81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit and I was allergic to it. They sent me a refund and I used it to buy a Garmin vivofit with the HRM strap. I absolutely love it! I've had it almost a year now and I love the versatility of the bands and that it is waterproof is a definite bonus
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    tri_bob wrote: »
    An original iPad still doing its thing? Good on ya, Emilia777. As ever, YMMV, etc. Also, I'd completely forgotten about the Mio Fuse. This whole segment is moving very fast, and I'm really hoping that by the time I'm ready to replace the Fenix 3 that at least one device will exist with these attributes:
    • Activity monitoring (step tracking)
    • Continuous HR tracking (without chest strap)
    • Accurate HR tracking during vigorous exercise
    • Multi-sport capability with GPS
    • Automatic sleep tracking
    • Not hideous or huge (I like the look of the Fenix 3, but I look like a kid who stole his dad's watch.)
    While I'm at it, I guess I should also ask for a pony.

@tri_bob , you’re definitely right that the second version of a new gadget will usually be better-rounded.

Also, I have the exact same wish list as you. Nothing out there does everything I want in a device, and I’ve no overwhelming desire to spend upwards of $800 for TWO things that complement one another. Here’s to hoping, right? :smile:
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I also have a first generation Ipad and it works fine. Lol. But as far as the trackers go I have the Polar Loop which I've never been 100 percent happy with. I'm not concernd with my steps per day or my sleep patterns so the Loop with the chest strap is really pointless to me. I thought I was upgrading and I should have just stayed with what I had. I've been wearing my old Polar HRM for the last month and I like it better because as another poster mentioned beyond being a tracker the Loop paired with the HRM just doesn't offer me the feedback I get with my stand alone HRM worn just for exercising. I've been considering the Garmin Vivofit and DC Rainmaker offers good reviews so I am going to check that out. Costco also has a couple varieties of the Fitbit and the Garmin. If I had purchased my Loop there I would take it back at this point.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Watch 2.0 will be the one to get. This first one will be good, etc, but Apple has always been a 2.0 kind of company.
  • malsipos
    malsipos Posts: 9
    Options
    Love my fitbit charge HR. It's pretty cool and accurate.for the cost. Don't know.much about the apple watch.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR and will agree with some of the previous posts that wrist-based HRMs are not as accurate as chest. Even when not doing exercise and hit the button to see my hear rate it is wrong, sometimes off by over 20 bpm. Ive notice that if i wait about 30 + seconds it then starts to figure it out and starts giving me an accurate HR. It should be immediately not after waiting a period of time for it to figure it out and adjust. Same issue when doing cardio. I have a feeling the Apple watch will have the same issue until new/different HRMing technology will come out.