Aged 50, need to lose 50 - help!!

Options
I have decided that this is it, my fat overcoat needs to come off. I was looking through some photographs this morning to send to my son (he is 21 on Thursday) and my daughter (aged 16 and a skinny minny) said "Oh wow, Mum, you used to so slim!". And I thought "Why the heck can't I be slim again???"

Just because I am middle-aged doesn't mean I have to be frumpy and fat.

Do I?:sad:

Replies

• jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    You can be 50 and fabulous. I am 51 and have lost 24kgs over the last 12 months, 18 of those since I joined this site Nov 2010. Still have 20kgs to go, but boy do I feel amazing already, and am loving my new me. Good luck and enjoy.
  • julie4760
    julie4760 Posts: 125
    Options
    I know the feeling well feel free to add me as a friend if you want it does help with motivation to have a few, love this site, some fantastic people here. Good luck to you.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I have decided that this is it, my fat overcoat needs to come off. I was looking through some photographs this morning to send to my son (he is 21 on Thursday) and my daughter (aged 16 and a skinny minny) said "Oh wow, Mum, you used to so slim!". And I thought "Why the heck can't I be slim again???"

Just because I am middle-aged doesn't mean I have to be frumpy and fat.

Do I?:sad:

What is this thing you call middle-aged? I know not of it! :laugh: I'm a couple of years behind you, and have roughly the same to lose as you, so if you want to, I'd be more than happy to be friends so we can support and motivate each other. I've also (as of a couple of weeks ago), just started running because I want to be a fit 50-year old!

So no, you absolutely DO NOT have to be frumpy and fat....in fact, I forbid it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Nodaa
    Nodaa Posts: 40
    Options
    Being healthy is not about age, for sure you want to live long life during healthy body & lifestyle.

We gonna support you in here ;)
  • Mario61
    Mario61 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm in the same place - aged 50 but need to lose 65 ! have already lost 8 in 1.5 weeks so keep at it
  • Alfie2011
    Alfie2011 Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow that is amazing! Congratulations. :smile:
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be fab at 50 too - in fact, I'm hoping to be fab at 49, so had better get on with it. Sent you a friend request
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    50 next year! Nearly at goal.....2.2 to go! Want to be there by my 49th in 3 weeks.......

You can do it - don't give up on your goals! 50 ain't old! It's the new 40!

Sue :smile: x
  • Alfie2011
    Alfie2011 Posts: 4
    Options
    Aw you're all so lovely, I'm going to like it here! I thought it would be intimidating, writing on the message board for the first time, how wrong was I? Thank you for the welcome.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! This site is the most awesomely supportive thing I've come across. Friend request on the way :smile:
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    That is my plan too! Fab at 50. Welcome :)
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Adding my welcome in.

I'm another almost 50. I've only been here just over a week but it really is a great site. Good people, good information, great advice and support.
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Another soon-to-be-fit 50 year old. That magic number will occur in September, and my plan is to be fine, fit and fabulous! I've lost 10, somehow managed to gain back 5 and have 15 to go. I'd take 20, but I'm trying not to be greedy, lol.

Welcome to the most supportive, fun and educational fitness site ever. Make friends, log in every day and work hard. You're skinny-minnie daughter will be raiding your closet before you know it!
  • tsnowridge
    tsnowridge Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have just joined the group - in fact I am on day 2 - I am in the same place you are except I am a "bit" over 50 and need to lose about 50 myself. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. My metabolism must be completely gone. However, a good friend suggested that I try this site because it helps keep up with your progress and food that you eat. I'll keep an eye on your posts and maybe we can urge each other on.
  • Misslionheart
    Options
    I'm 47 (48 in December) I too will be a fab 50. Hubby has a photo of 'Frumpy Wife' on his phone, in a few weeks that photo will be replaced with a 'One Hot Chick' pic! :love:
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    We should form a club, proving that hotness isn't the prerogative of 20-somethings! :devil:
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Jellyfishjen said it!! You CAN be 50 and FAB!! I am 52. I started running 9 years ago while battling breast cancer. I had never run a step in my life. Usually I put on a few pounds over winter, not because of over eating but inactivity. It's cold, I don't want to run outdoors, I don't want to bundle up to go to the gym. Well, this year after menopause, I can't seem to drop any weight. I am doing new things and it's slowly coming off. This site and the app on my phone have helped big time!! I am VERY mindful of what I put in my mouth and I log food as soon as I eat so that I can see how many calories I have left. I work out when I don't want to if I see I won't have a calories deficit! This site is wonderful and YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mnmamax3
    mnmamax3 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi! I know what you mean! I have two teenage daughters (and a tween). I no longer look like I did, but I know that I can do better. I think being 46 is going to be great (you being 50, no problem)! My daughter graduates next year and I am trying to get ready for pictures. I look forward to my new journey, I hope you do too!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I'll be 46 in 2 weeks. :noway: You can do it - you know how I know? Because we are all doing it! Just check out our tickers. I just started RUNNING 2 weeks ago. And... you know what... I LIKE it. Who knew?!? :tongue: Find something you like to do (that burns calories) and just have fun!
  • mummy2oscar
    mummy2oscar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome :flowerforyou:

I'm 48 in August and feel just the same as you. We will all help you at MFP

Good Luck x