Confused!! Can someone explain please

Options
skinniwithin
skinniwithin Posts: 17 Member
edited April 2015 in Getting Started
Screen%20Shot%202015-04-07%20at%207.18.21%20AM_zpsh3pv8uuz.png

I lost 10 pounds. MFP asked if it could recalculate my goals, I said yes, and now I have this. I thought the minimum you HAD to eat was 1200 calories. Also I cannot figure out what is going on with exercise calories. I think I need to disconnect my Fitbit from MFP as it is too confusing. I also find that MFP is too generous with the calories expended exercising or maybe I'm just slow and weak.

Replies

• HOOVEY17
    HOOVEY17 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit too and it doesn't sync very well. I just use MFP to log food and that's it and that transfers to fitbit. I find when I log exercise it doubles it on fitbit.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Edited. Issue isn't what I thought it was now that the photo is displaying properly.
  • skinniwithin
    Options
    I fixed the photo. I haven't eaten a thing but it looks like it's SUBTRACTING my exercise calories rather than adding them.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Do you have negative adjustments enabled on your fitbit? If you don't have enough steps it will take calories away.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yah that looks like a negative adjustment...I disabled mine...stupid thing
  • skinniwithin
    Options
    HUH? What are negative adjustments on the fitbit and how do I disable them?
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Your goal is still set at 1,200 for the day according to this picture, so I'm confused as to what you are asking?
    As far as the FitBit, all I really use mine for is tracking steps, and then those calories get added into my total daily burn on MFP. I base my calorie goals as far as what to eat on what MyFitnessPal tells me, and any exercise I do that is not step-based (basically either walking or running), such as cycling or the elliptical, I enter manually but ONLY into MFP.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Your goal is still set at 1,200 for the day according to this picture, so I'm confused as to what you are asking?
    As far as the FitBit, all I really use mine for is tracking steps, and then those calories get added into my total daily burn on MFP. I base my calorie goals as far as what to eat on what MyFitnessPal tells me, and any exercise I do that is not step-based (basically either walking or running), such as cycling or the elliptical, I enter manually but ONLY into MFP.

No her goal is now 1130 which is 80 less than her original goal of 1210....
    HUH? What are negative adjustments on the fitbit and how do I disable them?

Negative adjustments are based on your movement and if you don't move enough they take calories away...I don't remember where you disable that tho sorry.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's the negative calories setting from your Fitbit. I get that every morning if I don't get moving early enough. Don't panic unless you really don't plan on moving much that day, otherwise it will catch up. By the time I get to about 2500 steps I've broken even, and anything after that adds calories.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    MFP estimates what you will burn thru daily activity (not counting exercise) based on your stats of gender, height, weight, age and your activity level. That is, whether you said you were sedentary, lightly active, etc.

Lets say MFP thinks you are going to burn 1750 calories in a day from that. You said you wanted to lose 1 pound a week, so MFP takes away 500 and tells you to eat 1250.

When you sync your activity tracker, the tracker estimates your burn based on your stats and your movement. MFP gets that information and compares it to MFP's own prediction. If your Fitbit calories are 'behind' MFP's estimation, you'll either see a 0 calorie adjustment or it will take away calories from what you should eat - depending on if you have negative calories enabled.

Do you need to worry about this? Probably not. One thing useful to know: early in the day you will almost always be 'behind' according to MFP. Its because you're sleeping for the first 4, 5, 6, etc. hours of the day. (Day starts at midnight and for most people, they're not on their feet then.) If you're like me and get most of your steps in the evening, it doesn't balance out til late in the day.