Going Organic: Results

Options

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any noticeable health benefits that they can speak of related to switching to eating all organic foods or foods that are GMO free. Please share.

I will not debate GMO vs. Non-GMOs or Organic vs. Non-Organic with anyone. Everyone has their opinion there are not enough studies to support either side. All I'm asking is whether anyone has experienced a noticeable change from switching.

It looks like so far all of the people who have responded about how they felt said they noticed NO difference with the organic foods except for one person who said the organic meat seemed easier to digest....just to recap for you.

I work part time in a grocery store and I find some people's grocery bills to be astounding when they shop only in the organic food section...especially when there doesn't seem to be compelling evidence to do so.

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I experienced no health benefits. I don't think any of it tasted any better, either, and if people think so I'm inclined to think that's probably psychological. I switched back because I realised I was being dumb and that organic is not sustainable. GMO is the best weapon we have against world hunger, so I never actually avoided them in the first place, I just happened to pick foods without.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    19 years, billions of animals, no evidence that GMO has any adverse effect:

Numerous experimental studies have consistently revealed that the performance and health of GE-fed animals are comparable with those fed isogenic non-GE crop lines. United States animal agriculture produces over 9 billion food-producing animals annually, and more than 95% of these animals consume feed containing GE ingredients. Data on livestock productivity and health were collated from publicly available sources from 1983, before the introduction of GE crops in 1996, and subsequently through 2011, a period with high levels of predominately GE animal feed. These field data sets, representing over 100 billion animals following the introduction of GE crops, did not reveal unfavorable or perturbed trends in livestock health and productivity. No study has revealed any differences in the nutritional profile of animal products derived from GE-fed animals

https://dl.sciencesocieties.org/publications/jas/articles/92/10/4255

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/19-years-of-feeding-animals-gmo-shows-no-harm/

• sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have subscribed to a local CSA for over a decade. I purchase a weekly box of seasonal organic fruits and vegetables. I can't say scientifically whether I am healthier because the produce is organic or not. I enjoy supporting a local farm. I am much more aware of what is in season. I end up learning how to use and appreciating vegetables that I might not have otherwise tried. I am pleased to support their farming methods. I am at a healthy weight as is my family and we are rarely sick but I cannot scientifically attribute that to any one particular aspect of our lifestyle or genetics. Is it more expensive? Probably. Is it worth it to me? Yes, for the reasons I describe above I feel I get a good value for my investment and I am happy about it.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    The only reason I would be against GMOs is for patent troll reasons. Otherwise, I don't really see the big deal. We have been genetically engineering our food for as long as we have been raising it, just over much longer spans of time.

As for organic, I don't go out of my way to buy it. Sometimes Costco has no other option, like right now for tzatziki, so then it ends up in my cart, but the fact that it is organic had nothing to do with me buying it. I just like tzatziki, am too lazy to make it myself, and organic was the only option.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My daughter swears the bananas taste better.

I don't go out of my way to buy organic, and I am pro-GMO. Green revolution and all that.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My daughter swears the bananas taste better.

I don't go out of my way to buy organic, and I am pro-GMO. Green revolution and all that.

Exactly. GMOs have saved so many lives. I find the insistence on demonizing them really infuriating.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    My family has recently started buying more foods organic and non-gmo, although we did still use to buy some. I can't say I've noticed any difference yet though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My experience is that apples taste way better when organic, but that's the extent of it... so I make a point to buy those organic, even if my wallet hates it.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    The only reason I would be against GMOs is for patent troll reasons. Otherwise, I don't really see the big deal. We have been genetically engineering our food for as long as we have been raising it, just over much longer spans of time.

Bingo. The issue is so much more patent rules as opposed to GMO not being safe, because it is.
  • TheConsumerQueen
    Options
    So I started back on My Fitness pal today and I found this thread. We have started incorporating more Organic and Non-GMO foods into our diet. At first it was a slow process because my family was like eww organic but I started sneaking it in and then telling them AFTER they ate it. Worked like a charm. While we aren't totally organic we make a great effort in incorporating as much as we can. Now that there area TON of organic coupons out there it has made eating more organic so much easier!!!!!

I am also starting an all organic garden this year! Good luck on anyone trying this route. It's pretty awesome!
  • 08robyngreen
    08robyngreen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have subscribed to a local CSA for over a decade. I purchase a weekly box of seasonal organic fruits and vegetables. I can't say scientifically whether I am healthier because the produce is organic or not. I enjoy supporting a local farm. I am much more aware of what is in season. I end up learning how to use and appreciating vegetables that I might not have otherwise tried. I am pleased to support their farming methods. I am at a healthy weight as is my family and we are rarely sick but I cannot scientifically attribute that to any one particular aspect of our lifestyle or genetics. Is it more expensive? Probably. Is it worth it to me? Yes, for the reasons I describe above I feel I get a good value for my investment and I am happy about it.

Thank you, this is the type of answer I was hoping to hear. I just wanted to get peoples opinions on why they chose organic or why they ultimately switch back to non-organic.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Thank you, this is the type of answer I was hoping to hear. I just wanted to get peoples opinions on why they chose organic or why they ultimately switch back to non-organic.

no...
    Has your family made the switch to eat only Organic (Non-GMO) foods. What have the results been like? Any noticeable changes from switching your diet?

you wanted peoples anecdotal evidence on their changes after going organic.
  • mmonaghan99
    mmonaghan99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I personally think organic/free-range meat tastes better, but that is about the only food item for which I find a noticeable difference.

If you are concerned with the environmental impact, I would suggest buying local if you have that option. Local produce, meat, and dairy is yummy, and it is often fresher because it doesn't have to travel as far. I live near a lot of farms, and I hear from them that many of them use organic farming techniques, but can't afford the massive cost to get USDA certified organic. Large industrial organic farms often have lower standards than the small farms who can't afford to pay for the certified organic label. Plus, you are putting money back into the local economy, and going to the farmer's market is fun!

Ultimately though, an organic walnut has the same calories and macros that a conventional walnut has. I am by no means knocking organic, I'm a fan myself, but I think that in terms of weight loss, it won't make a difference. Going local when possible is my personal soapbox, but you have to do what's right for you!
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

I think that organic produce tastes better and often is better quality. However, I would imagine that expensive GMO produce might taste better too. We try to buy local produce regardless of whether or not it is organic for some of the same reasons as PP. Local honey has helped with our allergies, but not the food.
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any noticeable health benefits that they can speak of related to switching to eating all organic foods or foods that are GMO free. Please share.

I will not debate GMO vs. Non-GMOs or Organic vs. Non-Organic with anyone. Everyone has their opinion there are not enough studies to support either side. All I'm asking is whether anyone has experienced a noticeable change from switching.

Nope. No health benefit. I bought organic foods for a year and noticed to no change compared to now.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I began incorporating organic, free-range, and non-GMO foods into my diet in the past year and half. I don't exclusively eat these foods, but I especially try eat organic for those fruits and veggies that are the "Dirty Dozen." I also try to buy only wild caught fish of varieties that are low in mercury and meat that is organic/free range. I do so because of concerns of the potential and known negative health effects of consuming pesticides, antibiotics, hormones, etc. Cost is clearly an issue, so I use such strategies as buying larger quantities of sale items, buying fresh produce in season and freezing it myself, and making more of my own foods from scratch such as bread and pasta sauce. I have also significantly decreased my consumption of meat. It's impossible for me to discern whether the health benefits or differences in how I feel are attributable to these changes. Do I feel better because I'm eating significantly more organic, free-range, and non-GMO foods or because my overall dietary and lifestyle changes have lead to the loss of a significant amount of weight? There are too many confounding variables. I'm sure that my weight loss is directly attributable to many health benefits I'm experiencing in the short-term, however, I believe that staying away from foods with significant levels of pesticides, antibiotics, etc. will be beneficial in the longer term.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Yes, I buy organic and non GMO when I can. It's a personal conviction.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes, I do. I mostly do it for my kids -- my parents did it for me (before it was trendy) so I figured I'd do the same for them.

No, I don't notice a difference, except the strawberries spoil faster.
    The only difference I've noticed in veggies is in the taste of those that are home grown vs. buying them from the grocery store. But organic vs. conventional, no difference in taste to me.

I don't buy everything organic. I'm not one of those people that have a strong stance for or against it. But I am grateful that I have a choice.

• stmariepearl
    stmariepearl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I personally try to eat as much organic as I can afford or get from local "beyond organic" farms that have just not been able to afford the organic certification but they are just as good if not holding themselves to a higher standard. I don't think one should do this and expect any major results physically, although longterm you would reduce your exposure to toxins so I would hope there would be a positive change in your health. For me this is more of a sustainability/protect the environment/help local farmers issue.

It's also an ethical issue for me, not a nutritional one. The extra cost is often there but it's worth it to me. Home grown in the garden or on the patio solves that when the season is right :)