Starting Running From Scratch

Options
Hi, MFP! I am new to this community, and really appreciate all the good info. I've read through the running pointer thread, already, too!

Here is my deal.

I have been sick on and off throughout my life. By sick, I mean sick. I am two years out of the hospital from having an Ulcerative Colitis flareup and double pulmonary emboli, simultaneously. Since then, I have allowed myself to get out of shape. I was afraid of hurting my lungs (I have never been in worse pain... ever) or dislodging a clot, even though every doctor cleared me to exercise and my clots had dissolved.

I recently spoke with my doctors and decided to get back into running. I'm cleared for it. I have been a runner since high school, but clearly, two years being out of practice has set me back -- far. And here's the other thing.

When I started running in high school, it was right after getting diagnosed with UC. I was put on Prednisone, a steroid drug, which gave me a ton of energy. So even though I didn't have the muscle or the body of a runner at the time, it gave me a huge amount of energy to get started. I built up muscle after the fact and became a pretty decent distance runner.

Well, this time I am not "starting back up" on prednisone. I am starting from scratch. And it's hard. I can't even run a mile - heck, I haven't made it to half a mile without having to walk. Does it get easier? Do you have any tips in general and on not getting discouraged because it's not as easy as it used to be? ANYTHING is helpful!

Replies

• Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I would start with the Couch 2 5K App. It's really great! and it's free. It'll help you work your way up to running with intervals. Good luck!
  • hbarnesccs
    hbarnesccs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Smallc10 wrote: »
    I would start with the Couch 2 5K App. It's really great! and it's free. It'll help you work your way up to running with intervals. Good luck!

Thank you! I was working with the Nike Beginner 5K running program, and it was just too hard. It had me "running" 1.5 miles when I couldn't even do half a mile yet. I will definitely check out the C25K app.
  • shannonmaines
    shannonmaines Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with the couch 2 5k app. I've heard great things about it and it will ease you back into running. Just take your time and don't overdo it. You'll be running long distances again in no time :smile:
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I just finished the c 2 5k program and it was really helpful. I am not a runner and have never been a runner. I can now after 8 weeks run 3 miles without stopping...ready to start training for 10k. Good luck!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yep. C25K.

I used the Zombies, Run C25K and it was very enjoyable. We're not talking mind blowing story lines. The regular Zombies, Run is much better for that. And, you're not running from any zombies in the training version, but between a little story telling and music playing, time went pretty quickly.

Also, Zombies, Run C25K starts you out slower than most C25K apps with 15 sec of running at a time. It takes the same overall time to complete the training as every other C25K app so starting slower doesn't set you back. I thought it was nice to have that easy week at the start.
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I graduated c25k and will second this as well. It is honestly a brilliant programme. If you bore easily you can also use apps or music to help you (I am a huge fan of the 'Zombies, Run!' application that was recommended by a lot of people on MFP). Then, if you wish, there is a 10k running programme afterwards.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    What do you want to get out of running. Do you want to be a casual runner or do you eventually want to race at high levels in local races? Depending on your goal the path to get there may be a little different.

Either way though C25K is a good way to get past that initial hurdle.
  • hbarnesccs
    hbarnesccs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    What do you want to get out of running. Do you want to be a casual runner or do you eventually want to race at high levels in local races? Depending on your goal the path to get there may be a little different.

For right now, I just want to build myself up to local 5ks. My dad has started running halfs
    , and eventually I would love to run one with him. Ultimately it is just a form of cardio that I love and enjoy.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    hbarnesccs wrote: »
    scottb81 wrote: »

For right now, I just want to build myself up to local 5ks. My dad has started running halfs
    , and eventually I would love to run one with him. Ultimately it is just a form of cardio that I love and enjoy.
    Then C25K followed by any of the online training programs is the way to go. :-)

If you ever get bitten by the running bug and feel the need to start winning the races you may need to step up the training.

• JeffS435
    JeffS435 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The first 6 weeks or so I was just trying to get 30 minutes in and not paying any attention to the miles. Once that got easier than I switched and started thinking about miles. If your going to focus on miles instead of a good amount of time so it is helpful with fitness then your going to get discouraged. Focus on time first and then mileage will come