My bmi is HOW high?!

robingoblin
robingoblin Posts: 46 Member
edited April 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hi all! Hope you're doing well.

I finally got a new scale that wasn't broken and didn't generously round down.

A BMI of 30?! What?? I can't be obese. I shop at normal stores. I don't eat desserts. I exercise a decent amount. How is this possible?

I have this bizarre problem that I keep forgetting I'm overweight until I see a terrible, unflattering picture of myself. I've been trying really hard to change my habits recently (not eating carbs, working out more, walking many miles a day, etc) but I clearly need to work even harder. If anything, the scale moved UP! (Okay, I have these lovely leg muscles now, so I'm not too mad... but then why are these pants fitting miserably?!)

I was somewhat happy with my wedding weight 6 months ago (and that took a lot of work with only a little to show for it) but after a few weeks of partying during the honeymoon, I'm back to square 1. Square -1, even. Harsh.

To add to that, my family has been through a lot of tragic loss recently. Darn terrible genetics (and perhaps bad habits.)

I really need to get healthy. But I'm not so absolutely overweight that the fat melts off once I stop getting chips and chocolate. I'm not eating chips and chocolate! The whole thing is just hard.

I'd love some more friends that are in this awkward zone --
"Wait, how do I weigh this much?"
"That's a picture of ME?! No, I don't believe you"

Where the extra fat just kind of snuck up on you.

Replies

• BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    That happened to me - I ended up with a BMI of 30 and was shocked that I was obese (I was on the edge, but the wrong side of the edge lol). I was in denial, but I also hated photos and thought they were just all terrible angles. I also hated the way my pants felt.

I just decided that I needed to make a change, take charge of my health, but not to let small things ruin progress. You can do it!

I'm also really sorry to hear about your family, it is always really tough to go through those things and work on your own health.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    I'm sorry to hear about your family..Today is Day One Now is the time to begin your journey!!
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    I have struggled with my weight for years and it always easier to put it on then to take it off. I have a lot to lose but am taking it one day at a time. Just trying to make a few smarter choices here and there.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    My BMI was 38 when I started. It was a real wake up call. Down to 26, still working hard. You can do it!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    After my first son was born, the first time I saw an approximation of my BMI was on a wii fit. It was around 44. The really sad part was watching my mii get fat. However, it was an eye opener. I'm right under 25 now (I think it was 24.7 based on yesterdays weight).
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    I look at pics of myself when my BMI was about 45 and honestly, I can't remember it being as bad as it was. My denial was in overdrive or something, because I looked absolutely horrible and can't believe I once let myself get like that.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    It does creep up on you. I have big clothes and loose pants and I ignored it until I couldn't zip a pair of pants I wore a year ago. Good luck! Just a few pounds and that BMI will drop.
  • robingoblin
    Thanks for the support everyone! This is why I love MFP!!
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Remember peeps, BMI does not take into count muscle... body builders have very high BMI's , somtimes into the 40's, into the obese category and they are hardly obese. Try the MMI (muscle mass index) you may come out better than you think
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 222 Member
    It's sure a kick in the pants + a dose of reality. But sometimes we need that! :) I know I did.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    OMG...that is so funny that you posted that! I've lost 20 lbs since Jan and have recently been getting a lot of compliments on how I look. So for a reality check yesterday I looked up my BMI and I am STILL Obese. sigh....10 more pounds until overweight (who thought that would be something to strive for?).

Like you, I wear regular sizes, smaller than the average female, can see muscle tone, etc...so it was a good reality check for me! I know there are a lot of variables the chart doesn't take into account...and I could let it go if it was just overweight. It was good motivation to keep at it!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Oh, and I definitely think the same as you....mirrors seem to lie to me. Pictures are much more honest! I'll look in a mirror and think "I look good, maybe even thin". Then you see a photo...yikes!
  • robingoblin
    suruda wrote: »
    Oh, and I definitely think the same as you....mirrors seem to lie to me. Pictures are much more honest! I'll look in a mirror and think "I look good, maybe even thin". Then you see a photo...yikes!
    Seriously!! Why must cameras be so cruel? Especially if I was sitting down in the picture... Ugh! Maybe that's why I was still in denial... Those mirrors were not telling the whole truth!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I feel ya. I got on MFP because I hit BMI 30. Now I'm rocking a BMI of 20.4 for the first time in my life.

Be careful of the genetics trap. I know you mentioned personal choice too, but MFP has taught me that it's like, 99.9% choice, .1% genetics. I grew up with morbidly obese parents (or whatever they call it.. type 2 obesity). All of my aunts and uncles were obese and had type 2 diabetes, heart conditions, high blood pressure, the works. Yet here I am thin. You're in full control of your weight.

Oh and I was never binging on chocolate and chips to get to my obese weight. I'm a vegetarian and I don't have big sweet tooth. I was just eating too much.
  • jotrier
    jotrier Posts: 7
    I've heard so many quotes, "you can't out exercise bad eating habits". Yet there are so many who eat whatever they want and can drop it. I'm starting to think more is mental. positive thoughts, no more neg thoughts.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    cj94404 wrote: »
    It does creep up on you. I have big clothes and loose pants and I ignored it until I couldn't zip a pair of pants I wore a year ago. Good luck! Just a few pounds and that BMI will drop.

When I started on MFP I was wearing 2 pairs of sweatpants...blue/black...Now I can fit into a couple of pairs of khakis, still have a ways to go!!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited April 2015
    jotrier wrote: »
    I've heard so many quotes, "you can't out exercise bad eating habits". Yet there are so many who eat whatever they want and can drop it. I'm starting to think more is mental. positive thoughts, no more neg thoughts.

Well, I can eat whatever I want. Whether or not I can eat as much as I want of it depends on how many calories I have for the day and how I want to spend them.

I used to project my eating habits onto others. I would see a skinny person eating a Big Mac meal at McDonald's and just assume they ate something similar to what I did for breakfast and then went home and ate a big dinner and dessert like I did. Truth is, they most likely didn't. And even if they did, unless they had a job hauling bricks all day, they probably did not eat like that every single day like I did. Watching Supersize vs. Superskinny really helped me understand that skinny people are NOT eating the same volumes of food I was over time, even though they may still just live on candy bars and soda and fries.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Watching Supersize vs. Superskinny really helped me understand that skinny people are NOT eating the same volumes of food I was over time, even though they may still just live on candy bars and soda and fries.

Is that film on Netflix?

I try really hard not to notice what/how much others are eating. It feels intrusive. I hate comments about my food too. My work lunchroom is uncomfortable for me. I try to pretend they don't see but there is often a comment. Gah. I eat in my car a lot.

• robingoblin
    Aw man, sorry your coworkers are making you ashamed of how you eat. That's just awful.

It's so terrible when people comment on what I eat just because I'm a little overweight. During the holidays this weekend, I started going for a dessert my aunt makes every year (it's the holiday! Can't I get a free pass?) and a relative said "maybe you shouldn't eat that." UGH! 1) I'm an independent adult. 2) I saw you go for THREE and this is my first one. 3) Wow, rude.

I just watched an episode of that on Youtube. Thanks for the suggestion! Now I'm trying to think of incredibly skinny people looking aghast at what I eat. (Or, rather, how much.) Good to put things in perspective. I've been trying to eat tiny portions recently, and while I still feel a bit hungry, it's good to not think of food in such an unhealthy way.