New picky eater in need of tips for lunches to bring to work

Options
Titles says it all. I am pretty picky and i find that making lunches to bring to work is the hardest thing because I never know what to make with a short amount of time to make it.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Well, you know what you like.

So how about you make what you like, and bring it to work?

I'm not sure if it's any harder than that.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I pack a lunch every day for work. Some of my staples are: a can of baked beans with a cut-up hot dog; a sandwich with chips and fruit; a salad in a jar with a small dinner roll on the side; soup and an English muffin with peanut butter; a bowl of cereal with muscle milk and fruit; a Lean Cuisine and a banana; 2 oz. spaghetti noodles with sauce and some veggies tossed in (mushrooms, onions, black olives). I also pack a lot of leftovers from family dinners I make throughout the week.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    So am I going to make a bunch of suggestions and you'll have a reason for each one why you don't like it? I suggest you pre-pack the night before to give you time to plan out your lunch properly. I very often have leftovers from the night before.

My latest trick is to pack out my lunch kit tightly like a bento box with tid-bits of all kinds each in their own silicone cupcake liner.
    http://www.couponcloset.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Screen-shot-2013-07-22-at-10.24.57-AM-300x242.png

Today I have a chicken and corn stew, frittata, mac and cheese dressed with tomatoes, (leftovers) , cottage cheese, hummus, and strawberries. I have a slice of rye bread to sop up the stew.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes. mason jar soups or mason jar salads are good too.
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I tend to have salads with a dressing, smoothies, juices, make my own soup, yoghurt and fruit and take them to work. I`m also Gluten free so lunches are difficult for me but I cope and making your own stuff you can change it up regularly
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I usually just pack up left overs from the previous night's dinner to take with me to work. Most of the recipes I have serve 4, and I'm only cooking for my husband and myself. If I'm making a simple dinner, I'll often purposefully make at least an extra portion so I can have lunch the next day. It's pretty easy to cook a bit more rice or an extra chicken breast.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's exactly what I do--I make extras at dinner and bring it to work. Since it's something I'd eat for dinner, that means I like it. (I'm not picky, though.)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    When I pack my dh's lunches he usually has dinner leftovers or a sandwich. He dislikes pasta and carrots so I don't pack those things. I put in things like an orange, granola bar, yogurt, cheese, or trail mix in addition to the main thing. I pack his lunch the night before or in the morning. It takes less than 10 minutes.
    Today he has a ham and cheese sandwich, leftover sweet potato casserole and an orange.

Pretty hard to make lunch suggestions if you don't say what you like or do not like.
    Pack the night before. Put a weeks worth of lunches together on the weekend.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I agree with packing the night before so you have time to think of what you'd like to have the next day. I always cook extra and have leftovers so it's a no-brainer.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    most days my lunch is the night before's leftovers. after we finish eating dinner i pack my lunch for the next day then i don't have to worry about it the next morning. :) you don't mention anything you like so it's difficult to say what you should pack for lunch.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Tip #1 : Don't be so picky - eat ALL the things.
  • plutonianfrog
    Options
    I like soups but that's only good if you have access to a nuker with small lines.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with being picky, just eat what you like.