Military Diet

Options
HAs anyone done the Military Diet and if so do you recommend it.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Loved it. Something like 3000 cals per day and as much phys as I could manage...

If you can deal with the DIs shouting at you, getting up stupidly early and marching up and down the parade square then I'd thoroughly recommend it...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I like the eat less, move more diet personally.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about the "three day" one, it is just three days of very low calories and not a lot of nutrients. Why not just calculate your TDEE and eat at a modest deficit from that?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    No....just no.

Its a VLCD that sounds just miserable. Any weight you lose in the 3 or 4 days that you do it, you will most likely gain back when you start eating normal again.

Enter your stats in MFP, set it to one pound a week and go with that.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Another Military Diet post???
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Loved it. Something like 3000 cals per day and as much phys as I could manage...

If you can deal with the DIs shouting at you, getting up stupidly early and marching up and down the parade square then I'd thoroughly recommend it...

^^Thank you! I cannot stand that this plan is called the "military diet". Where the heck did that come from?!

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I just saw this on FB and no!!

OP: I did the old fashion way, ate at a reasonable deficit and exercise = weight loss. ;)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the military diet so all I could think of was the very large amount of food my son ate during basic training. I couldn't figure out why someone would be doing that here. LOL.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I read most of the posts about this "diet" on MFP before I decided to try it. Yes, I did go on it and lost weight. And I thought it might be something I'd try again, but after finding that eating a different way was what worked the best for me, I would say this is NOT a good diet. Here was my experience: I was hungry for 3 days because the daily caloric intake was less than 1000 cal. a day. And all I could think about was food. And if you work a desk job as I do, it's worse.
  • daisyisfab
    daisyisfab Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I read most of the posts about this "diet" on MFP before I decided to try it. Yes, I did go on it and lost weight. And I thought it might be something I'd try again, but after finding that eating a different way was what worked the best for me, I would say this is NOT a good diet. Here was my experience: I was hungry for 3 days because the daily caloric intake was less than 1000 cal. a day. And all I could think about was food. And if you work a desk job as I do, it's worse.

Thank you for your response. This was the kind of info I was looking for.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why is this the hot thing this week? Where did you come across it? I'm so curious.

And it seems to be super low cal and boring (although also short term) and based on the false premise that eating stuff like bread and saltines and ice cream burn extra calories which is pleasantly against the grain but not actually true.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I heard about that diet. It was created by a guy who was in the military once so he is an expert. Can't believe I spent all that time eating at the chow hall :wink:
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    I heard about that diet. It was created by a guy who was in the military once so he is an expert. Can't believe I spent all that time eating at the chow hall :wink:

Damn, I ate at the chow hall too much too! :smiley:
  • sarahmict
    sarahmict Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well, I've done it before several years ago, and I am currently on my day 3 doing it again now. I have lost 7 lbs already this round. Is it the best way to lose weight? Probably not, but I'm that person who has to see instant results to continue dieting. Probably just like a lot of people if I took a wild guess! The following 4 days, you still have to watch what you eat and keep your calories around 1500/day to continue keeping it off and lose more. I will continue the 3on/4off cycle for 3 or 4 weeks...by then you should have gotten your body away from wanting to over eat a bunch of crap! Again, I like this diet, has worked well for me in the past and seems to be working well for me again. The name? We all understand this isn't how the military eats people! We didn't name it, we are just using the information :) Good luck with your weight loss DaisyIsFab!!
  • JACKIEGG
    JACKIEGG Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :) I'm on Round 1 Day 1
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Belle8312 wrote: »
    Curt911 wrote: »

Damn, I ate at the chow hall too much too! :smiley:

I really miss two of the DFACs we had. One in Maryland the other at NTC in Cali.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    cud8lat70web.gif

Just eat regular foods you like, at a caloric deficit.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    yay another military diet thread! i've had friends do it and they lost then gained it back. thats why people have to redo this diet every 2 months or so. its not sustainable. ill say what i say to everyone who posts this... do it if u can't fit into a dress or skirt for a wedding and need to drop 5lb. but expect to gain it back the next couple weeks.