PSA for Women: Weight loss can make your boobs BIGGER.

notfromarizona
notfromarizona Posts: 53 Member
edited April 2015 in Success Stories
I'm 19 years old and 5'8 and I just wanted to say that when I started losing weight (220lbs) I wore a bra size of roughly 38C mayyybe 40B.
After losing 40 lbs I wear a 34DD and they sit up higher on my chest than they used to.

For a moment my boobs shrank to nearly non existent levels around a 38B, but once my ribcage started catching up miracles occurred. This makes me happy because for a while I thought I was going to be flat forever.

So if any of you are feeling down about losing where you don't want to lose, there's hope the rest of your body will even out!

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Isn't sometimes kind of along the lines of they are the same size but the when the band size shrinks to compensate for the weight loss the cup size has to increase to offer the same amount of support? That's what it was in my case at least. I went from a 38B to a 32C but they stayed around the same size. I need to find that article my friend sent me haha. It explained it so much better than I can.

Either way- Congrats on the weight loss!! :)
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Well lucky you then!
    I was a 38D and lost 75lbs, now today I don't need even need to wear a bra!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    It's just about appearance compared to your body. I can wear a 32B, 34A, or 30C. They are all about the same cup size.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    They didn't actually get bigger right? Volume wise I believe a 34DD is equal to 38C. However, I agree they do appear bigger. I also went from a 36C to a 34D/DD, same size/volume but they look much more dramatic because of the fat loss from my ribcage.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    It's just about appearance compared to your body. I can wear a 32B, 34A, or 30C. They are all about the same cup size.

This, and coincidentally same here. I don’t see how they’d get actually bigger: maybe appear bigger relatively speaking, or the cup size changed because the band is a different size.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

This, but you are also 19. My bust grew till I was 22.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    edited April 2015
    38C, 40B, and 34DD are all the same cup size. Cup size is relative to band size. You're breasts didn't actually get any bigger, they just didn't get any smaller while the rest of you did. They seem bigger because the rest of you is smaller. Congrats on the weight loss!

ETA:
    Not sure what you're using to measure but most women are wearing a larger band size then they should meaning they should be in a larger letter cup.

In case anyone cares, to get your band size, measure under your breasts. Whatever that number is, that is your band size (round down if you get an odd number). I know it seems small but that is what you should be wearing. Then bend at the waist and measure around the fullest part of your breasts, don't pull the tape tight. Subtract your band number from that number and that is your cup size (1in=A, 2in=B, 3in=C...).

If you're like me and just can't be comfortable in the band size you should be, adjust your cup size accordingly. Example: if you should be in a 32C but want a 34 band size you would need to adjust your cup size down to a B. If you should be in a 32C but want a 30 band, you would adjust cup size up to D.

Again, not sure if anyone gives a d**m but I thought I would share if anyone is.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    38C, 40B, and 34DD are all the same cup size. Cup size is relative to band size. You're breasts didn't actually get any bigger, they just didn't get any smaller while the rest of you did. They seem bigger because the rest of you is smaller. Congrats on the weight loss!

Right. This is what I was trying to say but I did not do it well.
    Anyway, that is pretty awesome OP.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited April 2015
    I'm 37 so definitely well out breast growth age. I went from a 40B to a 36D over the past year. I got fitted both times since I had babies and major ups and downs in my weight. Whatever is happening, I've never worn a D and I'm loving it.
  • notfromarizona
    notfromarizona Posts: 53 Member
    Ugh haha sorry I phrased wrong I suppose. I know they didn't get bigger like the fat migrated to them or anything. I mean they look a ton bigger and where I used to buy button up shirts and have no problem, now I have to size up. This is all I meant, but thanks to those who've congratulated me!
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Cup size is actually connected to your proportions. Its one reason why your size can change depending on how or where you lose weight. If the difference between your ribcage and your bust is 1 inch then you are an A cup, 2 inches is a B cup, 3 inches is a C cup, etc. Everyone gains and loses fat differently. Some people don't see as much change in the chest/bust area. I went down several band sizes but kept my proportion so my cup size did not change.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    They didn't actually get bigger right? Volume wise I believe a 34DD is equal to 38C. However, I agree they do appear bigger. I also went from a 36C to a 34D/DD, same size/volume but they look much more dramatic because of the fat loss from my ribcage.

Yep, they're considered sister sizes. In fact, many women find that they can go up in cup size and down in band size by simply getting a proper fitting bra. Years ago, without losing or gaining a pound, I found that I really wasn't a 38C but a 34DD.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Your band size got smaller
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Ugh haha sorry I phrased wrong I suppose. I know they didn't get bigger like the fat migrated to them or anything. I mean they look a ton bigger and where I used to buy button up shirts and have no problem, now I have to size up. This is all I meant, but thanks to those who've congratulated me!

I find the more weight I lose the bigger they look compared to my waist size! A lot of people I hear complain they will lose in size but youre right that isnt the case lol
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    I'm 19 years old and 5'8 and I just wanted to say that when I started losing weight (220lbs) I wore a bra size of roughly 38C mayyybe 40B.
    After losing 40 lbs I wear a 34DD and they sit up higher on my chest than they used to.

For a moment my boobs shrank to nearly non existent levels around a 38B, but once my ribcage started catching up miracles occurred. This makes me happy because for a while I thought I was going to be flat forever.

So if any of you are feeling down about losing where you don't want to lose, there's hope the rest of your body will even out!

I'm at a 40G. This had better not happen to me
    *glares at boobs*
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Well, I have lost 15 lbs (goal is to lose 25), and my boobs are like two sad poached eggs swishing around my hollow bra cups. Attaching my bra to the last hooks, too. I am happy to be thinner and more muscular, though.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Too many women are unsupported wearing bras that do not fit them e.g. 34 or 36 Bs when they should be in a 32 C, citing "sister sizing" - but they're not the same. When buying a bra the band should sit tightly against your skin only just without digging in and should do up on the loosest setting. The wiring/cup should sit flush to your ribcage/underboob, including your sternum. This is because they stretch with age. So even if that 34 B fits you on the day you buy it within 3 months it will likely not be holding you properly any more...
  • Esabettie
    Esabettie Posts: 11 Member
    spzjlb wrote: »
    Well, I have lost 15 lbs (goal is to lose 25), and my boobs are like two sad poached eggs swishing around my hollow bra cups. Attaching my bra to the last hooks, too. I am happy to be thinner and more muscular, though.
    Im with you there! Without a bra... Forget it, but I am 38.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    I dropped from 38DD to 34F/32G depending on brand. I wish I could share it with you all who lost it!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    I found with strength training, the appearance of my bust changed. My bust is higher and my waist looks smaller (I lost an inch in waist and hips). I have to wear a medium shirt to get it to button partly because I have more muscles in my chest and back. Unfortunately, my booty has gotten flatter, though (this makes my husband sad!).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!