Breastfeeding Sample Day 1,900-2,100 cals

Options
I just started MFP today and am breastfeeding exclusively so targeting 1,900 cals (including the 500 burned from nursing) and in some days will have a few hundred more from exercising. I am focused on eating whole, unprocessed food and limiting grains to two whole grain servings a day.

Anyone out there in a similar boat that's willing to share their diary or what a sample day might look like? I have no clue what to eat to get past 1,600 cals and still be healthy/balanced. Way too much fat today. Thank you!!

Replies

• BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am not currently, nor have I ever, been breastfeeding. However, one suggestion I would make is to try and include nutrient dense foods that give you a lot of bang for your buck! That way you don't have to eat as much to still reach your calorie and macro goals! For example, all natural peanut butter is a great option to get in plenty of protein and healthy fats. And, since it has anywhere from 190-230 calories per serving depending on the brand you purchase, you wont have to eat a ton if you struggle with getting full too fast!

I would also suggest looking for a group for breastfeeding mama's on Facebook. My sister is breastfeeding right now and I know joining a group of fellow breastfeeding moms on Facebook has helped her out a lot as far as getting tips and tricks and advice. Some of those ladies might have suggestions for you! They even have groups for fit breastfeeding moms like you who have health goals in mind! You could also try googling sample meal plans at your calorie goal and then just using those and making adaptations or substitutions for foods you do not like. Good luck! :)
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group on here? They have lots of people eating 1800+ calories with open diaries you could peek at.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    SallyHeim wrote: »
    Way too much fat today.

I wouldn't worry about going over your fat or protein goals, especially while breastfeeding. When I was exclusively breastfeeding, I really loaded up on nuts/nut butters, avocado, wild salmon, and other so-called healthy fats at my lactation nurse's suggestion.

• kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Some women lose weight while breastfeeding...other won't lose any weight at all. I breastfed both my babies and didn't lose a single pound despite limiting my calories and exercising. If you are trying to lose weight while nursing be very careful...a lot of women notice a drop in milk supply when they work out or eat too few calories. Try to add more healthy fats such as olive oil, nuts, avocados, flaxseed, dairy and fatty fish (salmon, tuna, herring etc.) I had a hard time remembering to eat regular meals so I would have a small snack and a glass of water each time I nursed. Good luck!
  • haibu
    haibu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Seconding the healthy fats thing. Peanut butter, salmon, spoonful of fish oil, handful of nuts, eggs...

Also, water, water, water! It takes a lot of water to make milk, so stay hydrated. I found this to be the biggest challenge while nursing.

There's ~20-22calories in an ounce of breastmilk, so if you're exclusively pumping, it's easy to figure out how much extra you need, but if you're not, it gets harder. So, keep an eye on your supply and diet because your calorie needs might go up during a growth spurt.

One other thing, I noticed I lost weight quickly while nursing, but for both my babies, my body seemed to just stubbornly hold on to ten pounds of, I don't know - water, stores, actual milk? - until I stopped nursing completely. When I finally stopped nursing, with both kids, there was a sudden drop...and not just in my breasts, hah. I'm not saying this because I'm advocating ceasing nursing, I'm just saying it's a possible explanation if you find your body hanging on to a bit of extra weight at the end.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Some women lose weight while breastfeeding...other won't lose any weight at all. I breastfed both my babies and didn't lose a single pound despite limiting my calories and exercising. If you are trying to lose weight while nursing be very careful...a lot of women notice a drop in milk supply when they work out or eat too few calories. Try to add more healthy fats such as olive oil, nuts, avocados, flaxseed, dairy and fatty fish (salmon, tuna, herring etc.) I had a hard time remembering to eat regular meals so I would have a small snack and a glass of water each time I nursed. Good luck!

I agree. I was limiting my calories and losing about a pound per week. I was struggling to pump enough milk for my baby. Then I strayed from calorie counting for a few days and ate more. I noticed my milk supply increase. So now I have reassessed my calorie goals and have increased my intake. I will worry about losing the extra weight after my baby is done breastfeeding.

I don't stick to a diet of whole, unprocessed foods (which seems to have a different meaning for everyone). As a result, I have no problem getting enough calories. Food is good. I am enjoying having such a high calorie goal.