20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
I’ve been running for 15 years or so now. I never have been nor never will be fast, but I’ve learned to love running and what it can do for my body. Along the way, I’ve learnt a lot of stuff about running, much from bitter experience. I thought I’d share some thoughts in the hope it might helps some beginners here.

Please note, I am NOT a qualified trainer nor do I have any medical qualifications, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt, and don’t hesitate to see a doctor or physio if you have any niggling aches and pains.

1. When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!
2. It gets easier. You’ll be amazed at the progress you make after the first week or two and soon won’t believe where you came from!
3. Walk/run is the way ahead. Programmes like C25K will build up your running time until you can run for half an hour. It doesn’t need to stop there! A famous running coach Jeff Galloway recommends walk/runs for all longer distances. Friends have achieved much faster marathon times taking walk breaks every five minutes than slowly plodding the whole way.
4. Get great running shoes as soon as you can. You’ll be amazed how light and bouncy they feel! Get fitted in a proper running shop to buy your first pair. If you love that model, but your next pairs online. Last season’s models can be half the price and sometimes only the colour varies.
5. Get a great sports bra as soon as you can. I love Shock Absorber high impact bras. Boys, if you have moobs, close-fitting clothes and a plaster over your nipples will stop you looking like you’ve been shot twice in the chest with jogger’s nipple!
6. Socks make a difference. Think your shoes are rubbing? It might be that you need wicking, seamless socks.
7. Wear fitted, breathable clothing, not baggy cotton. Even if you’re overweight, you’ll look slimmer in Lycra and it won’t hold sweat. Plus chafing is NOT a good look!
8. You will get aches and pains – most aren’t worrying. The most common are pains along the front of the shins (shin splints) and aching knees. Rest, ice, take ibuprofen and start again easily when you’re ready. MOST of the time the pains are due to doing something your body isn’t used to. Avoid making exaggerated heel landings to avoid the worst of beginner’s shin splints.
9. It’s much safer than you think. A lot of women suddenly feel like they’ll be targeted if out running. If you stick to the same streets and same time of day you feel safe walking down, you’ll be fine. But DO tell someone where you’re going and how long you’ll be, and take a phone if you’re out for a long one.
10. Beware the “toxic 10 minutes”. When you build up to running over 10 minutes at a time, that first 10 minutes will feel like living hell. It gets better! Your body moves on to a different energy release process after this time and you will get second wind soon after, I promise!
11. You can compete with world-class athletes. Many mass-participation events from charity 5ks through marathons and triathlons you can find yourself next to world champions and celebrities. What a boost!
12. If you’re a gym bunny start out on the treadmill, but get outside as soon and as often as you can. Your iPod can only distract you so much. Get outside to see and feel the seasons change and nature in its glory. Changing terrain will challenge your body in new ways.
13. High-tech is great… It’s amazing seeing your progress through your heart-rate monitor, GPS, phone apps like CardioTrainer that track your distance and calories etc. while distracting yourself with boosting tunes on your MP3 player.
14. Low-tech is great… Once in a while ditch EVERYTHING – even your watch – and just run. It feels great!
15. Carry water if you’re going out for more than 40 minutes or if it’s very hot. There are some great ring-shaped hand-held bottles and water belts you can carry all your other accoutrements in too.
16. Don’t drink back your calories. You do not need sports drinks, gels, protein shakes or recovery drinks if you’re out for an hour or less.
17. You can race. As soon as you can get out there for half an hour, enter a beginner-friendly 5K. It’s amazing motivation.
18. You won’t be last. There might be 200 or 40,000 people in your race, what are the chances of you being the slowest? Even if you are, so what? It’s the only other “place” after first, second and third! You got round which is more than 99% of the population did that morning!
19. Learn to run alone and with buddies. Friends can push you to go that bit faster and further. On the other hand they might hold you back if your goals are different. Mix and match.
20. Don’t neglect other exercises. Cross training will keep you toned and injury free. Do upper-body and core exercises to balance yourself out. Do squats, lunges and balancing exercises to prevent lower-body injuries.

My final bit of advice is YOU ARE A RUNNER the minute you set foot outdoors and go faster than a walk. Forget all the stuff about jogging, or how fast you have to be, just do it. Have fun out there!

Berry x

Replies

• craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Great advice!! Thanks for posting this. I just began the C25K.
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • hartsmart
    hartsmart Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    thank you for this!! i'll be starting the c25k program tomorrow...i'm terrified but excited!! these tips are great!!
  • littlemisskitty24
    Options
    thank you for this. What wonderful sound advice and on that note, I'm off for a run.
  • foxy29
    foxy29 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for posting that. I signed up for my first 5k run a couple of weeks ago and its getting closer and closer and reading your post has made me feel more confident that I can do it and wont make an *kitten* of my self!
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love this post :heart: , I am going to print it for my hubby who has just started C25K.

I intend to run when I get to onederland ( I don't think my knees will take it at the moment.:happy:
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Great list :)

I wish I'd read that before I did c25k
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Great advice.... I think number 9 can be dodgy though. I'd say run at different times and in a different pattern aka different way round each time you run. if you're worried about being targeted you do not want someone to "know" your route and the exact time you'll be there on the right day. It will make it easy for someone to follow or target you. Always wear only one headphone, you need to use your senses to know if someone is around you. Also a running buddy is a safe option!!
    x
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Some ace advice there, I thought I was the only one who just could not run! But you made me feel better now. Thanks you xxx
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    This is great! I started but then upset an old knee injury so I'm talking a break :sad: Can't wait to get back to it!
  • ddixonuk
    ddixonuk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Off out for my first run tonight on the path to a half marathon in September, quite concerned at how im going to get on. The 10 minute thing is so true though!!!
  • fivefunones
    fivefunones Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing....well written and well said! :) I started running 3 years ago at 47 and ran my first 1/2 marathon 3 months later using the Jeff Galloway method. If i can do it....anyone can! " Just Do It"
  • MoniDoug73
    MoniDoug73 Posts: 16
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading your post! I will take this to heart because I know there is a runner in me!

MoniDoug73
  • fivefunones
    fivefunones Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good luck...one run at a time:smile:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! Feel free to add me as a friend for some mutual support :flowerforyou:
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Bravo! Bravo! Thank you so much for this post! I am on W2 of Cto5K. It's like you read my mind and took my personal questions. Every item listed has been in my thoughts and I question my ability to continue daily. This post has given me a second wind, literally. Thanks from my heart, I mean that! :-)
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I loved that...thanks!

Sue (c25k, w4d1 complete today!)
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I've walked two half marathons, but I never thought I was a runner and didn't try. This year I've decided to change that. After a false start in January and some mental setbacks, I am back to making an effort using the C25k program.

Thanks so much for writing this post, it was very encouraging, especially the bit about the 10 minute mark and the encouragement to consider myself a runner, even if I'm not ready to run a 5k yet.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just did day 1 of the C25K last night. I want to do it again tonight! But I am not. I will do another exercise so I don't over do it. I think I may print your post for reference!