Protein powder for runners trying to tone+lean, not build muscle

Options
I've never tried protein powders or shakes but I want to start now that I'm running 4x a week. What brands do you recommend for leaning and toning, NOT building muscle.

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I've never tried protein powders or shakes but I want to start now that I'm running 4x a week. What brands do you recommend for leaning and toning, NOT building muscle.

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish. If you feel you need more protein for whatever reason then sure, use a powder. Otherwise there is no point. Just eat real food.

• glfernandes828
    glfernandes828 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

glevinso wrote: »
    I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish. If you feel you need more protein for whatever reason then sure, use a powder. Otherwise there is no point. Just eat real food.

I want to start drinking protein shakes in general, because I have a busy schedule and don't always have time to get/make food. I know nothing about protein powder so I was just wondering if there are some kinds that help build muscle versus kinds that are simply protein as meal replacers. Thank you
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    No - there is no such thing
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

I want to start drinking protein shakes in general, because I have a busy schedule and don't always have time to get/make food. I know nothing about protein powder so I was just wondering if there are some kinds that help build muscle versus kinds that are simply protein as meal replacers. Thank you

Not really. Protein from eggs, almonds, or protein shakes are all good for muscle recovery. The real benefit of using a powder is convenience. I don't know that any one specific brand is superior to another. I use this TwinLab brand. Mostly because I think it tastes pretty good mixed with just water. I put about a scoop and a half in a blender bottle the night before and after my run I have that really quick before a shower. It's sort of being lazy I guess. I think I use this more in warmer weather. Adding some ice water with the powder makes it really nice when you just got back from a run in 84 degree weather.

Don't mix this with a spoon. You'll be sorry. Use a blender bottle or a small blender like a Nutribullet.

Comes in:
    Cookies and Cream
    Vanilla Rush
    Chocolate. (I don't like this flavor)
    51Ocl6l4gjL._SX425_.jpg
  • glfernandes828
    Options
    Oh okay! @_Waffle_ thank you for the info!
  • _Waffle_
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Protip. If you put ice in a Nutribullet with this it turns out much thicker. Some PB2 occasionally thrown in (With the vanilla rush) tastes a bit gritty but mixes things up and tastes great.

Second tip. A Nutribullet makes good piña colada too. :laugh:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Where do people come up with these questions/ideas?
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I was actually buying some of this last night and the girl I was with (she's 17) remarked "I think of this as manly body building stuff. Just look at the size of the container." I explained to her that it's faster for me to make this than 4 eggs in the morning but that it doesn't build muscle any more than milk or fish. It's just a nutrition supplement or replacement.

It's a pretty normal question and often a misunderstanding. Also, there's no such thing as "women's protein" either. If you're a human, working out, and want an easy source of protein then this works great. You could say the same thing about the Cliff gels I take along on longer runs. They don't make you faster anymore than powder gives you more muscle. They're just more convenient than carrying a banana for 12 miles.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

No, this is kind of a fair question, caused largely by the bodybuilding types who talk about "bulking powder" etc...

OP, here's the deal:

Bodybuilders and people who are trying to bulk up usually go through a "bulking cycle" in which they eat a (usually large) caloric surplus.

Some protein powders are specifically aimed at people in a bulking cycle and include lots of extra calories in the form of carbohydrates to help them achieve this surplus.

Because you're not going through a bulking cycle, you'd probably be best off looking for a protein powder that does not have a lot of sugar added. A decent rule of thumb is at least 25g of protein and no more than 150 calories per serving.

FYI, one gram of protein has about 4 calories, so a powder with 25g of protein will have at least 100 calories just from the protein, and then some additional for the fillers, flavoring, sweetener, etc...
  • FrantaAthletics
    FrantaAthletics Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    leaning or bulking all comes down to your calories being in a surplus or a deficit. a protein shake wont simply make you bulky. But Optimum Nutrition makes a great whey protein powder! like the above guy said mix a scoop in a blender with some frozen fruit after a workout and you have an amazing smoothie! If you use berries it will also be low carb!
  • glfernandes828
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

No, this is kind of a fair question, caused largely by the bodybuilding types who talk about "bulking powder" etc...

OP, here's the deal:

Bodybuilders and people who are trying to bulk up usually go through a "bulking cycle" in which they eat a (usually large) caloric surplus.

Some protein powders are specifically aimed at people in a bulking cycle and include lots of extra calories in the form of carbohydrates to help them achieve this surplus.

Because you're not going through a bulking cycle, you'd probably be best off looking for a protein powder that does not have a lot of sugar added. A decent rule of thumb is at least 25g of protein and no more than 150 calories per serving.

FYI, one gram of protein has about 4 calories, so a powder with 25g of protein will have at least 100 calories just from the protein, and then some additional for the fillers, flavoring, sweetener, etc...

Most useful advice I've ever gotten. Thank you!! I will find one that works for me
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I was actually buying some of this last night and the girl I was with (she's 17) remarked "I think of this as manly body building stuff. Just look at the size of the container." I explained to her that it's faster for me to make this than 4 eggs in the morning but that it doesn't build muscle any more than milk or fish. It's just a nutrition supplement or replacement.

It's a pretty normal question and often a misunderstanding. Also, there's no such thing as "women's protein" either. If you're a human, working out, and want an easy source of protein then this works great. You could say the same thing about the Cliff gels I take along on longer runs. They don't make you faster anymore than powder gives you more muscle. They're just more convenient than carrying a banana for 12 miles.

I think an even better question is, why are you still hanging around 17 year old girls?

:huh:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Every time I see one of these big powders all I can think of is the episode of southpark where Cartmen was bulking. "BEEFCAKE!"
  • _Waffle_
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

I think an even better question is, why are you still hanging around 17 year old girls?

I pick her up after high school most days. Can't people have kids? Why can't you support my journey? :angry:

ETA: Also she makes a great gopher when I forget something 3 aisles back in the store.
  • FrantaAthletics
    FrantaAthletics Posts: 48 Member
    Options

OP, here's the deal:

Most useful advice I've ever gotten. Thank you!! I will find one that works for me

Just look at the nutrition label looking for low fat and carb!

Optimum Nutrition has roughly 1.5 grams of fat, 3 grams of carbs, and 24 grams of protein per serving. if you want something even cleaner try iso whey
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Every time I see one of these big powders all I can think of is the episode of southpark where Cartmen was bulking. "BEEFCAKE!"

ts934_00_closeup_of_south_park_eric_cartman_beefcake_weight_gain_4000_cartoon_t.jpeg

You can reach your goals. I'm living proof.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

OP, here's the deal:

BTW there are bulking powders such as Muscletech MASS-TECH with the following label

1 Serving With 16 Oz. Water
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Calories 1000
    Calories From Fat 80
    Total Fat 9g 14%*
    Saturated Fat 2g 10%*
    Trans Fat 0g †
    Monounsaturated Fat 5g †
    Cholesterol 85mg 28%
    Total Carbohydrates 168g 56%*
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%*
    Sugars 8g †
    Protein 63g 126%*
    Calcium 320mg 32%
    Iron 0.7mg 4%
    Sodium 380mg 16%
    Mass-Tech® Co-Factors
    Creatine Monohydrate 10g †
    L-Leucine (As L-Leucine, Whey Protein Concentrate And Isolate) 5g †
    L-Alanine (As L-Alanine, Whey Protein Concentrate And Isolate) 3g †
    L-Glycine (As Glycine, Whey Protein Concentrate And Isolate) 3g †
    Taurine 2g †
    Enzyme Digestion Complex
    Papain 50mg †
    Amylase 50mg †
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i have two types of protein powder in my house, both from EAS. one is vanilla and one is chocolate. the vanilla one is billed for getting "lean and toned," and the chocolate is for "building muscle."

both of these are kinda false advertising. the difference is that for two scoops, the vanilla is 100 calories and 15g of protein and 5g of fiber. the chocolate one is 150 calories, 25g of protein, and less than 1g of fiber.

so the vanilla one will get you lean in so far that it give you less calories and some decent amount of protein. but it won't get you any leaner than the chocolate one will bulk you up. both require the right kind of training, and the right kind of diet.

btw, i'm a triathlete that lifts on occasion.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

I pick her up after high school most days. Can't people have kids? Why can't you support my journey? :angry:

ETA: Also she makes a great gopher when I forget something 3 aisles back in the store.

But aren't you just 28 years old yourself???

And even if this is true, your teenager actually does what you tell them to do??? In public???

Shenanigans.

That's right, I'm calling it: Shenanigans.