20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started

Options

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I began running last August and I have experienced 100% of what you said! Great post!

I will add running is very addictive! Your body feels relaxed and exhilerated and the feeling keeps you coming back for more!! It's a great mental accomplishment as well!
  • allimax2002
    allimax2002 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Loved this! I, too, started C25K last week. And I promise you I thought I was dying! Its good to hear there is hope and the encouragment of this post is priceless! :-)
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    i have tried to run in the past, even did the London City 5K race - twice! But was never any good at it, now I really WANT to run! thanks for the inspiration x :flowerforyou:
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    great advice
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Love these! Great post. :flowerforyou:
  • topshot
    topshot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    re: #8:
    don't discount something like shin splints, especially if you are overweight and you feel pain in your heel. It may be a stress fracture. If you ignore it, you will not be running - and you will be walking in pain - for a very, very long time.
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Bump for when I need it thanks!
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Fantastic words Berry!!!!! ;0) x
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    What a truly fantastic posting, ive been there, every step, instead of the race, but my turn is nearing!! Im down for the Great South Run in October. 10 miles round the streets of Portsmouth and Southsea.

I only started running a month ago, Im comfortably doing 4 - 5 miles 3 times a week at 5mph and this weekend Im going to attempt 8 miles at the same pace.

Ive got my personally fitted NIKE running shoes but im not yet ready to release my lycra clad form on the world yet, certainly not on a saturday morning, the police around portsmouth are very hot on that sort of thing!!!

Im a truck driver and have for years just parked up of an evening , rigged up the tv, put the ready meal in the microwave, scratched my back side, picked my nose, and gone to sleep!! Not now peeps, its on with the running shoes and off for a run. I love it, the feeling of accomplishement and invigoration is unbeleivable.

That, coupled with a healthy, smaller diet, means ive lost 3 stone and feel so much better, physically and mentally.

Congrats on your progress and on your excellent post
  • bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    Love your advice!!!!!!
  • Asomething
    Asomething Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    love this - thanks!!
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    great post!! :)
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Great post. 15+ years ago I ran about 3 mi. per day. Loved it. Loved it when I got to that point in the run where I felt like I could go forever. I am now in week 5 of C25K. Loving it! Hoping to do our local 5k this fall. :)
  • cheekytart
    cheekytart Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    wonderful advice. thanks!
  • jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    love it
  • RubyRed1999
    RubyRed1999 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Great post. I'm starting week 2 of couch to 5k and this list will help me through.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Excellent post. I read something similar prior to starting c25k and it helped tremendously. At this point I have one 5k under my belt and another race coming in two weeks.
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    Good advice, thanks!
  • lilmommy
    lilmommy Posts: 84
    Options
    This is awesome thanks for sharing I've been wanting to start up running again!!
  • lilmommy
    lilmommy Posts: 84
    Options
    This is awesome thanks for sharing I've been wanting to start up running again!!