Does it REALLY matter?

Options
I usually workout inthe evening before dinner but have considered changing my routine to going to the gym before work in the early morning. Just curious though of what your opinion is...Do you think there is any added benefit to working out the morning instead of the evening?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference.

Me? I can't get my tail out of bed early enough to get to the gym, then home & showered before work.

I say go for it and see how you feel :)

~Lyssa
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nope. I work out early some days, later others, depending on my work/school/the gym's schedule.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits in my schedule, I don't care what time it is! I can exercise at 6am, 4pm, or 11pm and it doesn't really make much of a difference. Though if I exercise right before making dinner I can eat more and not worry about going over my limit.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I always try to workout in the morning as no matter how much I try and tell myself, I never seem to make it in the evenings
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I tried to work out very early in the morning for a couple of weeks. It just didn't work for me. I wasn't awake enough to get the most out of my workout. now I work out after dinner and it has made a huge difference. I guess it just depends on the time of day you are more focused and motivated.
  • jssprague
    jssprague Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It would get your workout out of the way for one thing... And it will definitely give you more energy for the rest of the day.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have to work out before I'm awake enough to talk myself out of it. ;) I also find it helps me deal with the day's rocky points if I've already let off some steam.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I usually workout inthe evening before dinner but have considered changing my routine to going to the gym before work in the early morning. Just curious though of what your opinion is...Do you think there is any added benefit to working out the morning instead of the evening?
    Probably once you get into a pattern it doesn't matter so much. I prefer very early morning 4AM. And I add to that exercise effort as much as I can throughout the day. I like this pattern.

• SonofNorthernDarkness
    Options
    not really, just personal preference.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I think its just what works for you. I work out in the morning but it takes me a couple of minutes more to warm up. For me this is the only real difference :-)
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    Yup as the other dudes say...just personal preference...personally I like working out in the afternoon-evening
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    just sleep issues. if you're cutting out on sleep to work out, that's no good. sleep = recovery, is v important for all health concerns. if working out at night is keeping you up, also no good.

also if you're sloppy in the morning bc your body's not really warmed up and your mind isn't fully with it, that might make injury more likely (i think i saw a study to that effect)

ideal time imo is mid-afternoon (head is in the right place, have enough energy, warmed up, fed), but who can do that
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I work out mid-afternoon after all the worker bees go back to their offices. The gym is too crowded early in the morning and in the evenings.

It seems to me that just getting it done, whenever, is the important part.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Some people say a fasted workout is better, and that usually happens in the morning. Even if I workout in the morning (my morning is 6am) I'm going to eat SOMETHING, or I'll pass out. I love doing spin class in the morning, so I can't just do that on an empty stomach.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Workout whenever you'll do it. For me, that's first thing in the morning. I have mad skills at talking myself out of doing anything once I get home for the day.
  • newatthis2015
    newatthis2015 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'd say work out whenever you are going to work out. Try to find a time that makes you want to work out.
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Just depends on preference tbh. I used to be an afternoon/evening person but I hate late workouts now as much as I used to hate morning ones.

The thing that changed it for me was having b'fast + coffee beforehand. I was finally fully awake and fuelled for a workout rather than distracted/tired from a day's work. (I'm up an hour earlier eating and catching up on emails/house errands/planning my day etc.. workout, shower, have a second b'fast and I'm at work by 9am with the whole day to do as I please.) I tried midday workouts too but mornings work best for me as they force me to be sensible the night before - less wine/netflix marathons and more early nights.

Anyway, I think you just have to pick a time that works and stick to it. Your body will get used to it.

• DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    No. Just whatever works best for you. My energy peaks in the mid-afternoon.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm an early riser so I take advantage of that.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    personal preference.