It makes me so angry that CICO etc. isn't taught in schools

Options

Replies

• ljs385
    ljs385 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My point may have not came across, but dirtyflirty said it for me. We can teach about nutrition and exercise but if the kids are going home every night to stay inside and eat takeaways most of the time, then for most, that becomes the norm.

• noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Smallc10 wrote: »
    Yah... I feel like it's the parent's job to make sure that a child knows how to feed themselves properly. Also to me, common sense/biology/physics teaches you about how pretty much everything runs on energy, which can have the unit of calories and that you can't just make something from nothing. That might just be me though as my mom drilled it in to my head everytime she was losing weight (a healthy way) that it was to exercise so that you were burning more than you were eating. Which really is mostly right as long as you realize she was using exercise to create a calorie deficit.

Yes it is common sense and logical. But there are a hell of a lot of people out there who lack common sense. Considering we're experiencing an obesity epidemic, I reckon that there are a lot of parents out there who aren't properly informed, and so can't teach their kids properly.

Plus it's very easy to be lead astray by the myths that are constantly perpetuated all over the internet, in magazines, etc.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I have to agree with most others here. It was taught to me in both elementary and high school years. We even had a mandatory course called "Food and Nutrition" where they taught us the basics of cooking and healthy eating.

And honestly, I went to school with a lot of overweight kids and eventually ended up overweight myself. It's not for lack of knowledge, being overweight simply became the easier lifestyle to live.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    ljs385 wrote: »
    My point may have not came across, but dirtyflirty said it for me. We can teach about nutrition and exercise but if the kids are going home every night to stay inside and eat takeaways most of the time, then for most, that becomes the norm.

very well said!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    As a parent, I'd take it upon myself to educate my child about CICO rather than rely on general school to do it. Especially since most kids learn eating habits from home.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Health and nutrition is taught all through elementary school, again in biology, physical education, and home economics. The issue isn't that it's not taught, it's that it's not learned.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I will say that even though my husband attended public school in a fairly good school district, and attended both Health and Food & Nutrition classes, his grasp of nutrition and what is "healthy" was really... inadequate.

When we met, his basic understanding was Fast Food = Not Healthy. Home Cooked = Healthy.

We'd finish a dinner of ribeye, baked potatoes with cheese and bacon, buttered rolls, and a small salad (his drowning in ranch dressing) and I'd say "Oh my gosh, I can't believe I ate all that."

And he'd say "Yeah, but at least we ate really healthy stuff!"
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It is. You just weren't paying attention.

Health class.

Gym / PE

Biology

I was taught the concept at least 3 times by the end of High School.

The wrestling team got it drilled into 'em trying to make weight, right?

Pay attention next time.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I started this week with my 10 year old twins. On fruits/veggies that go in their lunches I write how many grams they weigh and how many calories each bag is. I don't want them to be obsessed with weight, but I don't want them to struggle as I did (due to lack of education...and, well, I grew up in the south with an okra, chicken, fish frying mom with a side of buttered and gravy mashed potatoes). So yeah, that happened. They are old enough to understand the concept and I intend to help them learn it. Schools touch on it, but certainly not to the extent that it should happen.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Smallc10 wrote: »
    Yah... I feel like it's the parent's job to make sure that a child knows how to feed themselves properly. Also to me, common sense/biology/physics teaches you about how pretty much everything runs on energy, which can have the unit of calories and that you can't just make something from nothing. That might just be me though as my mom drilled it in to my head everytime she was losing weight (a healthy way) that it was to exercise so that you were burning more than you were eating. Which really is mostly right as long as you realize she was using exercise to create a calorie deficit.

Yes it is common sense and logical. But there are a hell of a lot of people out there who lack common sense. Considering we're experiencing an obesity epidemic, I reckon that there are a lot of parents out there who aren't properly informed, and so can't teach their kids properly.

Plus it's very easy to be lead astray by the myths that are constantly perpetuated all over the internet, in magazines, etc.

We've already established that it's taught both in the US and UK, maybe you weren't paying attention. Maybe it should be taught more, so it can be forgotten/ignored more? Is that your point?

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Even if you teach it that's not going to stop people from wanting a quick fix. Why do the work when you can just pop a pill or drink a magic potion. Look at all the threads on here that teach CICO and people will still argue to the death about their skinny tea....

Pretty sure I had nutrition, cooking (home economics), PE, Etc - all which taught some version of being healthy
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I will say that even though my husband attended public school in a fairly good school district, and attended both Health and Food & Nutrition classes, his grasp of nutrition and what is "healthy" was really... inadequate.

When we met, his basic understanding was Fast Food = Not Healthy. Home Cooked = Healthy.

We'd finish a dinner of ribeye, baked potatoes with cheese and bacon, buttered rolls, and a small salad (his drowning in ranch dressing) and I'd say "Oh my gosh, I can't believe I ate all that."

And he'd say "Yeah, but at least we ate really healthy stuff!"

That's pretty funny. I think this is how most people still think!!
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    It is in biology

It wasn't though that's the problem.
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Maybe it depends on where you go to school, but I know we had health and nutrition classes where I grew up. Didn't stop people from getting fat, pregnant or STDs, in some cases, all 3. You can't force people to care about information, no matter how early it's delivered. I see people I remember sitting next to me in poli sci and science post incredible misinformation about politics and science on fb all the time.

I live in the UK and I was never taught properly about it. And I realise that some people don't take notice of anything they're taught, but at the same time some do, and I think everyone should be given access to that information.

Maybe it's just different where I grew up, idk.

I'm in the UK too. It is covered, briefly, in biology. Also a BASIC grasp of physics helps.

How long do you want a school day to be/tax to be increased to (or diverted from elsewhere), to cover what is common sense and should be taught, through example, by parents?

If we ever covered it in biology it must have been extremely briefly. I never learnt about the effects of over restricting, about CICO, starvation mode (largely) being a myth or that fad diets, cleanses, detoxes etc. were utter rubbish.

Considering better education on it would likely decrease the incidence of weight-related medical problems, in addition to improving a lot of people's quality of life, I think it's rather important to teach properly actually.

Plus it wouldn't require much teaching time to cover the absolute basics. It could easily be covered in a single lesson.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in first grade. She came home acouple months back and told me about a game they played in PE, it was like hot potato but with "healthy" and "unhealthy" foods. They had to keep the unhealthy stuff out of their little stash of food by passing it to other kids and keeping their healthy stuff. She told me pasta is a bad food and we shouldn't eat it.

I am of the opinion that it is the responsibilty of me and my husband to teach our kids a healthy balance when it comes to diet and exercise. My parents didn't really do that for me, and I felt the effects of that lack of knowledge. It's fine if that is taught in school, but it is my job as a parent to teach those life lessons ( along with sex ed, drugs, alcohol, etc)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I think it is taught in schools, some at least.
    This forum has plenty of good information and advice.

People just like to consume more than their bodies need, are increasingly sedentary and theres money to be made in quick fixes.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    It is in biology
    Yup. This. I have a degree in nutrition (dietetics, actually) and it's definitely taught in biology. BUT blog posts and "This ONE weird trick!" are way sexier than science.

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in first grade. She came home acouple months back and told me about a game they played in PE, it was like hot potato but with "healthy" and "unhealthy" foods. They had to keep the unhealthy stuff out of their little stash of food by passing it to other kids and keeping their healthy stuff. She told me pasta is a bad food and we shouldn't eat it.

See, this is what I vaguely remember from school also. They are trying to push the idea of the food pyramid and good food/bad food.

You can get plenty fat eating good food off the food pyramid.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    We can't even get everyone in here to believe it, I pity the kids who would try to convince their parents ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    MamaRiss wrote: »

See, this would bother me if my child came home saying we could no longer eat pasta because it was "unhealthy." It's all well and good to say that the schools should be teaching healthy eating, but I think this example also shows how many problems it can cause because of the individual opinions of who is teaching the kids.