thyroid problem

Options
Anyone dealing with a thyroid problem? Any weight loss tips?

Replies

• lovematthewchristopher
    Options
    Hi Hannah , I have had a thyroid problem since i was 14. I went on medication, then at 16 , i had my thyroid removed. I have a small piece of one left, but thats it. I have been on medication since. I was always a skinny kid, but as time went on i started gaining weight. Between my thyroid, having kids, settling down, hurting my knee, and not being as active, i ended up putting on alot of weight. I was over a hundred pounds overweight, and really out of shape. The more out of shape i became, the less i did, the more i gained. I started my new lifestyle in September of 2014 and have managed to lose 51 pounds. It hasn't been easy, but i have done it. I still have a ways to go, and i am far from an expert on the subject, but i will help you in anyway that i can. Add me if you would like, and i would be happy to motivate you along your journey of weight loss.Good luck
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I take it hypothyroid?
    I recently had a great talk with my Y trainer/nutritionist as she's got hypothyroidism too, and she suggested avoiding certain vegetables known as cruciferous. Now I'd never heard of such a thing, but basically, certain raw vegetables when eaten in larger quantities have a negative effect on the thyroid's function.
    Here's a helpful article: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/think-raw-veggies-are-best-think-again/
    Good luck! :)
  • thatgumyoulike
    thatgumyoulike Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    According to the Internet people with thyroid issues shouldn't eat anything. One site says go vegan, 10 say gluten free, 8 say Paleo and 5 say all of the above.

I'm new to the diagnosis, but I'm going to take my meds and eat relatively healthy. If I notice I am having issues I can eliminate a food and see if it helps, but I'm not about to go on some extreme diet over a website my doctor disagrees with.

I'm keeping calories at 1500 and exercising 1 hour five days a week. It's working fine.
  • huntergirl864
    huntergirl864 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have at I have had thyroid cancer and had my entire thyroid removed. My weight was up before I had my thyroid removed. I think between other medications and living a sedentary lifestyle at I have gained even more weight. I know that between starting to exercise and eating healthier that I can do this.
  • hannahrosshirt
    Options
    Thank you all! I have hypothyroidism I've lost 20lbs in a month and a half but it seem I hit a wall! It's so hard feeling like crap and trying to lose weight but I'm not giving up!
  • huntergirl864
    huntergirl864 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    don't give up, I really believe that we can do anything that we put our mind to
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    20 pounds in six weeks is over 3 pounds a week, that's pretty quick. So obviously your hypothyroidism isn't stopping you from losing weight :) which means the issue is something else. For one, stalls are normal and could be anything from retaining water, solids, that time of the month. Or it could be something basic like you're eating more than you think. Are you using a food scale? How long have you been stuck?
  • emlucy2000
    emlucy2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I definitely can relate! I've had hypothyroidism for over 3 years now and have about 40 lbs to lose. I've realized that for me, it will take longer but it's not impossible. It's frustrating when I want to lose faster than I am, but that's ok :) I'm definitely starting to appreciate anything I can lose. You've been doing amazing!!
  • hannahrosshirt
    Options
    No I'm not using a food scale and it's been about 3 weeks to a month since I've lost anything but I haven't gained anything back either! I don't know what's normal and what's not. I've never tried to lose weight it's all new to me!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You need to use a food scale, it's the only way to know how many calories you're eating. And it will teach you to learn portion sizes of your favorite foods for the long run. It can be a shock to see just how small a serving of peanut butter is for the calories
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I sent you an invite to our thyroid group.
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi Hannah , I have had a thyroid problem since i was 14. I went on medication, then at 16 , i had my thyroid removed. I have a small piece of one left, but thats it. I have been on medication since. I was always a skinny kid, but as time went on i started gaining weight. Between my thyroid, having kids, settling down, hurting my knee, and not being as active, i ended up putting on alot of weight. I was over a hundred pounds overweight, and really out of shape. The more out of shape i became, the less i did, the more i gained. I started my new lifestyle in September of 2014 and have managed to lose 51 pounds. It hasn't been easy, but i have done it. I still have a ways to go, and i am far from an expert on the subject, but i will help you in anyway that i can. Add me if you would like, and i would be happy to motivate you along your journey of weight loss.Good luck

Listen to her she's been through it and continues to be and inspiration to those of us with thyroid issues.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    eat less, exercise more.
    if you want to lose weight, that advice holds whether you're hypothyroid, hyperthyroid, or euthyroid