Looking for Vegetarians/Vegans...

Options

Replies

• ssernst
    ssernst Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for almost 2 years. I do believe a vegan diet is healther, it is my next goal.

Best of luck on your journey, and feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. Any of you veggies, I can use all of the support!! :)
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and a cook. I cook vegan at home but can't seem to ditch the dairy when I'm out of the house. I try to avoid eggs as much as possible since chickens, the way factory farms produce and care for, are disgusting. I've really struggled with the transition to veganism. Vegetarianism was way easy once I figured out that my common migraines and random nausea spells completely went away when the meat was gone.
  • Luna_Kali
    Luna_Kali Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi,
    When I was 15 I decided to become a vegetarian for ethical reasons. I have to tell it wasn't easy but most of all because of the fact that there where almost no choices in my hometown (in Portugal). I didn't have a store where to buy simple stuff like tofu and forget about restaurants (had to stick with scramble eggs).
    For me easing into it didn't work, what I did was eat all the meat I wanted for 3 months, in which I thought about the slaughter of animals all meals long and it worked. Since I became a vegetarian I never ate meat or even considered it, even when it was very difficult to find what to eat. Only when I relocated to the capital of my country I found out that there were stores only with this kind of food. I seemed a child in a toy store!
    I would love to go vegan and really feel that it is the right thing to do but I have a meat eater as a partner and it's harder to give up eggs and milk. I almost don't eat cheese, only organic milk, and free range eggs.
    I love to cook, and I'm crazy about mushrooms, so if you (or anyone) wants we can share recipes.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    A great, healthy food blog to follow is ohsheglows.com
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan (well, trying to be). I've only been vegan for about two months, but so far it's been great. For a while I wasn't getting enough protein, so I was starving all the time, but I've fixed that so it's all good. I went from meat-eater straight to vegan, btw. And I would also suggest vegweb.com I get almost all of my recipes from there. They're great! Feel free to ad me! :happy:
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Vegan for about 6 yrs now. Feel free to add me.
  • Winged_Victory
    Options
    I've been eating vegan for about a month and a half now. I love it. I wasn't a vegetarian beforehand, but I also just didn't eat much meat.

The only thing I found difficult was giving up dairy. I've also faced challenges when eating out and there have been a couple slip ups (e.g. cheese coming already grated on top of some pasta... just didn't think about that!)

Overall, it has been successful though. I have been amazed at how much more energy I have now than I had before. It's really been life altering. I actually have the energy to get out there and do some exercise.

I have a long way to go with weight loss, but I already am feeling healthier.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm ovo-vegetarian. I eat eggs and some dairy. I've considered going vegan, but haven't made the transition just yet. currently focusing on eating 'clean" Going vegetarian wasn't difficult for me. A few things I recommend for anyone going vegetarian or vegan is to purchase a crock pot, even a cheap one that you can get from Walmart for $10. It's helpful in cooking beans and rice. Also if you can swing it a small food processor. I got one for under $100 and make my own veggie burgers. If you decide to use TVP or texturized vegetable protein it easier to mix in a food processor than by hand.

Oh a few blogs I follow:

Chef Marcus Samuelsson
    http://marcussamuelsson.com/

Bankrupt Vegan
    http://bankruptvegan.blogspot.com/

and this one I just found yesterday
    http://thedirtyvegan.blogspot.com/

Anyway, Those are my tips. Feel free to add me.
  • caitiecait
    caitiecait Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 15 years (I'm 23) and like other people have said being vegetarian first would be the easiest. Being vegan is incredibly difficult, and to be done well it's best to research quite a bit first.
  • kbell109
    kbell109 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey! I'm new to this site and also vegan! Thought I'd say hi and anyone is welcome to add me! Would love to chat with new people (vegan or otherwise).

I went vegan the second I finished reading Skinny ***** three years ago! I experimented with vegetarianism in high school, mostly cause I didn't like the taste of meat and didn't want to have to eat it at family diners. However, I usually went back to eating chicken. After reading Skinny ***** I moved on to Fast Food Revolution and I knew I'd made the right decision. Now one of my favourite things to do is reading books on the food industry and by vegan authors (recently finished the Crazy Sexy Diet and it's probably my fave!), as well as watching documentaries. I am just disgusted by all of it!

Since being vegan I have no regrets! I love my life! It's made me a different, much more positive and lively person! At first it was hard and I was surviving on french fries, but there are SOOO many resources out there with amazing recipes and nutrition advice! I love trying new foods in vegan restaurants and trying to recreate them at home!

I don't know any other vegans personally - two of my cousins are vegetarian though. It would be great to get to know some others to swap recipes and ideas :) Especially anyone that's into juicing because I'm about to buy my first juicer :)
  • redman_vf
    redman_vf Posts: 1
    Options
    Being vegan for 6 years now my best advice to anyone wanting to adopt that lifestyle is...

DON'T TAKE ADVICE FROM VEGETARIANS!

Honestly, why are people who are not vegan recommending "a slow transition"? I understand the pride you may feel in being vegetarian, but it really gives you no insight into being vegan.

So to the aspiring vegan, if it is only about diet, well...then it's not vegan. If you want to call it a vegan diet, that's kinda lame and misses the point. That would be what we used to call vegetarian before eggs and cheese started getting coopted by vegetarians. So then it became strict vegetarian. But if it is ethical as well and yiu are more dietary focused do the research and take time to read some of Dr. Neal Barnard's books. There is ample evidence that a vegan diet is far better for you (and other animals as well). Far more death goes into milk and egg production than most non-vegans want to admit, but the facts won't hide or be twisted if you look for yourself. Also check out "The China Study".

If you are heading this way for purely ethical reasons with your diet being a another logical extension of that such as what you wear, carbon footprint, etc., then try "Becoming Vegan" or "The Vegan Sourcebook".

I definitely recommend vegweb.com as a place for recipe ideas as well as Post Punk Kitchen. You can also make friends. The 14 year vegan I love and live with met each other on a vegan forum about 5 years ago.

I have traveled to both coasts after becoming vegan simply forth purpose of meeting other vegans. I learned that simply being vegan does not make me like you, but I can sure appreciate your ethical consistency over a vegetarian who says they are doing it "for the animals". And for all the vegetarians who want to slam me for that last statement, I was vegetarian before I became vegan. I wish someone would have slapped me down from my little hypocritical cloud. When you truly want to make it about ethics, vegan is the only choice. This attitude will get one accused of being "elitist" as quick as anything but for me it's nothing I pat myself on the back for. To over celebrate being vegan would quite literally be the equivalent of thanking myself every day for not killing anyone, it's just common sense now.

So go vegan and don't be a whiny one. Don't take advice from one who isn't vegan or who "tried that once". Follow what you feel about your impact on other animal's lives and whether or not killing them is necessary or relevant to you. Don't hide behind food addictions, believe me you will beat yourself up for that later.

I actually care about all animals, including vegetarians. ;-)
  • fatskintslug
    fatskintslug Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been a veggie for 17 years now and would never go back :) feel free to add me x
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    There is ample evidence that a vegan diet is far better for you (and other animals as well).

That's only if you're doing it right, though. If, for example, you give up meat and dairy and don't supplement your vitamin B-12, which is ONLY found in animal products, it'll could you, but not before seriously messing you up. There's also ample evidence that the spectrum of partial vegetarian diets (ovo-lacto, pescetarian, etc.) are just as healthy as vegetarian/vegan diets that don't contain non-red-meat animal products.

Basically, if you want to become vegan, research, research, research. I agree that, if you're really serious about it, it's more a lifestyle than a diet, but start with the diet and work your way up from there. Know which vitamins and minerals you'll need to supplement (because you will need to), which plants have abundant sources of stuff like iron and protein (there's a reason Popeye ate spinach), which processed foods contain hidden animal products (hint: Peeps are off the menu), etc., etc., etc. I recommend doing that before you jump into it completely, because, if you're lacking in some vitamin and you start feeling crappy because of that, you're going to be reluctant to continue.
  • emseedubya
    emseedubya Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian by definition, but do keep more than 99% of my diet vegan. It's a lifestyle I'm moving towards just like you. Being vegetarian is painless for me. It's so easy it's laughable. But, because I live in a very rural part of Australia without a lot of dairy alternatives, letting go of dairy completely has been the hardest part for me. Read: I am a cheese addict. No matter how I plan to start the week, I haven't gone more than 14 days without cheese yet! I know there are cheese alternatives out there, I just can't get them where I live and they won't ship them to me because they can't refrigerate them. Boo! Nutritional yeast has been a lifesaver! Can't wait to read the other posts in this thread and hear what others are saying. I'm plussize2dreamsize on youtube and I vlog more about why I became vegan there. :)
  • Winged_Victory
    Options
    Any suggestions for a good brand of nutritional yeast?

I have some I got from the bulk bin in the store, but I feel pretty "meh" about its flavor.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for 20 years, since I was 13. I cook all my own food, the easiest thing is stop thinking in terms of western meat and veg meals and embrace other country's food. There is almost no limit to vegetarian Indian food, for instance. Most Hindus are vegetarian or vegan. Most Middle Eastern food is also veggie, and Sicilian too. There are lots of non-meat sushi recipes. You will need to be a bit more inventive, but you won't run out of recipes if you look around. I suggest the Moosewood cookery book, as well as the Demuth's ones - The Green World and Green Seasons. Also check out the demuth's site www.vegetariancookeryschool.co.uk for recpies.

Another essential one is the Cranks bible.
  • emseedubya
    Options
    I have to order mine in from online so I just buy whatever's cheapest and they all taste about the same to me. I never eat it by itself, I add blend it with tofu, almond milk, and almond meal to make a cheesy sort of sauce and put it on pasta and vegetables. It reminds me most of Parmesan. I made this recipe up the other day trying to replicate the cajun alfredo sauce from Chilis and, even though I haven't had that sauce in years, it does its memory justice!

Ingredients

1.5 cups almond milk
    1 cup silken tofu -- drained
    2 T dairy-free spread (I used olive oil spread)
    1/4 cup cajun seasoning
    1 T water
    2 T minced garlic
    1 8oz jar of smoked red peppers -- drained, rinsed in hot water to remove excess oil and drained again on paper towels
    1/2 cup of nutritional yeast flakes -- ground to a powder. use more if you like a more cheesy flavor.
    1 T cornflour
    1/4 cup hot water

Directions

1. Combine tofu, dairy-free spread, almond milk and cajun seasoning in a food processor or blender until smooth.
    2. Dice the red peppers (you may be able to buy pre-diced ones, I just can't get them here!) and then saute with the garlic in a large saute pan for 2-3 minutes. If you're not worried about added fat, you can saute in oil instead of water.
    3. Pour blended tofu mixture into saute pan with the garlic and peppers. Add nutritional yeast and turn to low heat to thicken. The longer you leave it, the thicker it will become, it's really up to your personal taste.
    4. Finally, mix the cornflour in the water. Remove sauce from heat and add the cornflour mix. Blend well and stand to thicken for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, pour over your favorite pasta or rice and you're done!
  • emseedubya
    Options
    I agree 100%. I think that meat and dairy subsitutes are awesome while making the transition, but it's so much easier to just whip up a nice curry! I'm lucky that I became vegan in Australia where the Thai and Indian cultural influences are about as strong as the Mexican influence was in the food I grew up with in Texas. Even though I loved it from the beginning, I think Indian and Thai might be acquired tastes because my family back in the states can't stand it!
  • BlissfulYoga
    BlissfulYoga Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for a good brand of nutritional yeast?

I have some I got from the bulk bin in the store, but I feel pretty "meh" about its flavor.

I used Red Star, Frontier Co-op, or Whole Foods Co-Op (which might be from the same co-op = not completely sure)
  • lovemyhellokitty
    lovemyhellokitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump