hi I'm a truck driver and I'm looking for ideas on what food to buy

Options
Hi I'm a truck driver and trying to find out what food I can buy I have a micro wave in my truck

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Buy whatever food you like to eat, that fits in your microwave!

:drinker:
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Trucks have microwaves in them?! :o Time for a career change!
  • bigtanklucas2001
    Options
    I was trying to find out what the best food to get cuz I need to lose weight
  • bigtanklucas2001
    Options
    No it's mine I have a 2500 watts inverter if u eat out all the time it's costly
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I was trying to find out what the best food to get cuz I need to lose weight

Help us out. What kind of things do you normally like to eat? If you tell us that, we can probably give you some ideas of how to eat things you enjoy in a more healthy way.
  • bigtanklucas2001
    Options
    Umm I eat about any thing that my problem
  • polly1970
    polly1970 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Have you figured out your caloric allowance for the day? Then you can start plugging the pieces of your meals in. Find out how much you can have each day and portion out your meals and snacks. A microwave in your truck will certainly help. I use my microwave all the time for those Green Giant Steamers. Tons of veggies (most with sauce!) and very low calorie impact.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Okay. I just bumped up a thread for you that had a lot of advice from other truck drivers and their families - maybe that will help?
  • bigtanklucas2001
    Options
    Yes it's 2400 and today I used 2300 each meal was around 600 to 700

• bigtanklucas2001
    Options
    Thank you it did a
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Okay. I just bumped up a thread for you that had a lot of advice from other truck drivers and their families - maybe that will help?

• bigtanklucas2001
    Options
    Little
  • time4jenn
    time4jenn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Soup- buy canned soups and then heat them up on your stop.
    Snack- popcorn
    Baked Sweet potatoes are yummy :)
    Eggs - you can add salsa for some zip
    if I think of more I will post- feel free to add me!
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Umm eggs are a good breakfast option, and you can easily mix in some veggies. Oatmeal is another one. You could "toast" bread for sandwiches using parchment paper, or toast different types of nuts, but beware as their calorie content is high so small portions are key. Veggies are also super easy in the microwave. I often use it to cook sweet potatoes, corn on the cob, etc.
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You can buy pre-cooked frozen chicken from tyson (I'm sure there are other brands too) and all you have to do is microwave it. Frozen veggies that can be steamed in the bag in your microwave, cans of black/pinto beans, nuts, bananas, oranges, apples, make oatmeal in a large portion before you leave and you can microwave it each day for breakfast/snacks, cereal/protein bars, rice cakes, cans of soup, lunch meat and bread. Do you have a mini fridge/freezer as well because not all of these ideas will work without one. Its all about counting your calories and making sure you don't exceed them. You don't necessarily need to eat any certain types of food to lose weight, but these are some ideas of foods that will help you hit your macros and won't kill you in calories. Good luck!
  • bigtanklucas2001
    Options
    Thank you
    Umm eggs are a good breakfast option, and you can easily mix in some veggies. Oatmeal is another one. You could "toast" bread for sandwiches using parchment paper, or toast different types of nuts, but beware as their calorie content is high so small portions are key. Veggies are also super easy in the microwave. I often use it to cook sweet potatoes, corn on the cob, etc.

• bigtanklucas2001
    Options
    Yes I have a Colman cooler that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug
    hncary wrote: »
    You can buy pre-cooked frozen chicken from tyson (I'm sure there are other brands too) and all you have to do is microwave it. Frozen veggies that can be steamed in the bag in your microwave, cans of black/pinto beans, nuts, bananas, oranges, apples, make oatmeal in a large portion before you leave and you can microwave it each day for breakfast/snacks, cereal/protein bars, rice cakes, cans of soup, lunch meat and bread. Do you have a mini fridge/freezer as well because not all of these ideas will work without one. Its all about counting your calories and making sure you don't exceed them. You don't necessarily need to eat any certain types of food to lose weight, but these are some ideas of foods that will help you hit your macros and won't kill you in calories. Good luck!

• 23susu23
    23susu23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There are microwave grills that work pretty well. I have one. You can actually brown meat and make grilled sandwiches in the microwave with them. I cook fish and veggies in it too. Look on Amazon or QVC. You can find some videos on You Tube or QVC.com that can give you some ideas. If you want to spend $30-40, it would expand your food options. I also like to use silicon cookers in the microwave. They are very easy to clean and work great.
  • bigtanklucas2001
    Options
    Thank you I will have to look into that
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Well since you have the cooler you could even look into meal prep on a smaller degree. Cook a bunch of chicken breast/ground turkey/hard boiled eggs at the beginning of the week and then all you have to do is warm it up. It makes it super easy and is very little work to prepare. Then you always have a good main course/protein source ready so its easier to make better decisions while on the road. Then you could do the frozen veggies in the microwave or bring some canned veggies to go with your meats and you could use them in all different ways. You could make tacos, wraps, put the meat over salads, etc. And you could meal prep a bunch of rice as well and have that with your meals too. It would take minimal work to prepare and would make it easy while you are on the road.
  • bbutler921
    bbutler921 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My dad is also a truck driver. He has a microwave, a small fridge/freezer and a George Foreman grill. He eats soups, chicken, frozen veggies, rice, etc. If you have room I would highly suggest getting a small fridge/freezer and George Foreman grill.