really depressed

Options
I have lost over 150 in weight I went from 298-132, but I decided 135-140 was healthy for me as I am 5'8 1/2 and I feel comfortable at that weight.

Over Easter I hit 138, which is normal for me but after three days of easter dinners and family gathering I stepped on the scale to see 147 POUNDS.....HOLY CRAP.

I mean I ate bad but nothing extreme, I didn't gorge on food and I certainly didn't over do it. If anything I had been coaching myself all along to cut back, don't eat this or that and I THOUGHT I was doing well. I also didn't just sit around the house, on friday I went to the gym and ran for 11 miles and Saturday I ran another 11 miles so I was very active, and yesterday I ran 7.5.

So when I woke up and weighed 147, I thought ok drink water, I even took a diuretic as I do tend to retain a bit, but still nothing. Today I drank more water, peed a ton and ate very low carb (15g) and still nothing. I have exercise and been active all week and all I want to do is crawl into a ball and give up. I feel fat and groose and I have a wedding to attend on Friday where I'm sure there will be tons of bad foods. How do I get rid of this now? Should I water fast? just not eat? uuuugh

HOW THE HELL DID I GAIN SO MUCH?

(Also, I don't use my MFP diary any more as I use my fitbit, so my journal has nothing in it)

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Calm down, there is no way you ate 31,500 calories over maintenance (9 x3500) since Easter. I gain scale weight after holidays and it is normally gone by the end of the week. High sodium and if you did slack on muscle workouts then just worked your muscles hard this week, they will retain water. Also hormones, just do what has always worked for maintenance, there is nothing to repair.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    From Sunday to Monday morning, my scale went up 2.5 pounds. I went 925 calories over on Easter. This morning I was only up 0.5 pounds. Relax. Most of it is water retention. Please don't fast. Just go back to what was working before. CICO. Maybe drink more fluids for a few days.
  • MuayThaiMaMa1
    MuayThaiMaMa1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Maybe avoid carbs for the time being. Carbs usually stick to me. Try eating only fresh fruits & veggies and lean meats (not processed foods). Then slowly get back to your old "good" eating habits. Keep running, the cardio should help. Do you tend to gain water weight before your period? Could that be part of it?
  • jmasci20
    jmasci20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good advice, I feel calmer just reading it!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Wow. You have lost over 100lbs and you have not experienced this before? Come on, you know that people bloat after big meals and that weight fluctuates.

Why would you give up because you are 7lbs over your maintenance? Most of which is probably going to come off soon anyway. Weak.
  • jess031988
    jess031988 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    _KitKat_ wrote: »
    Calm down, there is no way you ate 31,500 calories over maintenance (9 x3500) since Easter. I gain scale weight after holidays and it is normally gone by the end of the week. High sodium and if you did slack on muscle workouts then just worked your muscles hard this week, they will retain water. Also hormones, just do what has always worked for maintenance, there is nothing to repair.

I actually just started running outdoors and my quads/ Everything are killing me I thought they looked swollen or that I pulled something since I usually use the treadmill but I guess I have started working some areas harder.
  • jess031988
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Wow. You have lost over 100lbs and you have not experienced this before? Come on, you know that people bloat after big meals and that weight fluctuates.

Why would you give up because you are 7lbs over your maintenance? Most of which is probably going to come off soon anyway. Weak.

The most I retain is maybe 5 pounds, and that's eating like garbage all day. I just keep thinking in my head you were 132 and now your 147 that's 15 pounds, when in reality it's 7 but my mind is playing games.

I guess you're right I'm having a weak moment...
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't freak out, you probably have two things going on. Did you already check your calender to see where your at? Because for me it's normal to gain 2-5 for period and 2-5 when I eat any kind of special meal even in moderation. If you were unlucky enough to hit both at the same time, that would explain it.
  • cjames010
    cjames010 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would drink a lot of water, and not do any new or strenuous workouts this week.

In my personal experience, my weight seems to drop off when I'm sedentary(no exercise) and stay under my calorie goal. ymmv

If I exercise and eat back my exercise calories I have a +/-3pound range. If I add stuff like pizza or high sodium foods to that I can gain overnight. It's not real gains though, but it'll show up on the scale.
  • RodgerOttawa
    Options
    Always remember that scales LIE!

It's just water, it will come off quickly. Btw Congrats on the loosing the weight, and on picking a healthy weight to maintain at.
  • sup3rb3ast
    sup3rb3ast Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Probably too much info, but I usually gain around 5 lbs when it's my time of the month, and the weight disappears in a week or so. Unless the weight gain is still there after a few days to a week, I wouldn't worry if I was you. B)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Try to get back into your normal routine - and give it a week.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What you have accomplished took a lot of grit/determination, and you seem to have a really nice attitude. Keep doing what you're doing. If you've upped exercise intensity, allow time for the associated water retention/release. Examine other habits to see if any need tightening. You have this.

ETA: 30 mi in 3 days is a lot, esp if on terrain. How does it compare to what you were doing on the treadmill?
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    First, I am sorry you are upset. It is so frustrating to see that scale increase when we've tried so hard! Don't beat yourself up for Easter indulgences; tell yourself you are going to get back on track starting tomorrow. You have to eat! If you do not eat your metabolism will slow down and you will not lose anything. Eat clean: fresh fruits, leafy greens, lean meats, beans, etc. No processed food, soda, cookies, candies, etc. Don't deprive yourself, but get your sweets via fruit or other naturals means if you crave it. Be proud of yourself for what you've accomplished so far, you have made a great lifestyle change!
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You did really well, and you can do so again. There are so many factors that can influence the scale, esp stress from being around family, holidays themselves, etc. It probably isn't representative of anything major on your part. Just breathe and get back on the horse you fell off of. You know how to do this. Prove it to yourself.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Also, not to be gross, but have you gone to the bathroom lately? What about your period? I know I can easily pack on 5-6lbs if I am about to start a new cycle.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Wait until next week. When I go on a cruise I come back with 7 pounds of "scale weight", its mostly bloat, after 2 weeks of regular eating and exercise everything is back to normal. The worst thing you can do is stress and do something extreme.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    yeah, I think calm down. I understand the fear of gaining weight but turn that fear from a weakness into a strength by facing it! You are strong, you KNOW how to manage your weight. There's no more on or off the wagon, there's only being a grown up adult with the power and knowledge to manage your weight in a healthy way, which includes social events and holidays with food, just fit it in and keep going :)
  • jess031988
    Options
    I cut my carbs and drank aloooot of water and hit 138 today....Pheeew
    Next time I'll know better