Recommendation for protein powder/ drink for smoothies

Options
azkunk
azkunk Posts: 956 Member
I am looking for recommendations for protein powder or drink that I can use for my breakfast smoothie. I really do not want to taste it if that's not asking too much. Today I tried using a strawberry Slimfast as my base. I added a half banana and a handful of blueberries to make it better but it was like drinking a vitamin :s

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks :)

Replies

• donniekay
    donniekay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have never found a protein powder that I liked so I now use fat free Greek yogurt with some almond milk, a banana, 2 T. ground chia seeds and 2 T. of the powdered peanut butter. I especially like the one with cocoa added. It tastes like a chocolate malt.
  • jessicarheapires
    Options
    I like using a vanilla base because it goes with everything! My favorite brand is gold standard. Highly suggest! Mixes well, tastes good, high amount of protein without a huge load of calories and carbs.
  • azkunk
    Options
    donniekay wrote: »
    I have never found a protein powder that I liked so I now use fat free Greek yogurt with some almond milk, a banana, 2 T. ground chia seeds and 2 T. of the powdered peanut butter. I especially like the one with cocoa added. It tastes like a chocolate malt.

That's what I usually do but I would like to get more protein. I ever add egg whites.

• azkunk
    Options
    I like using a vanilla base because it goes with everything! My favorite brand is gold standard. Highly suggest! Mixes well, tastes good, high amount of protein without a huge load of calories and carbs.

Thanks, Jessica. I will look into that one.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I use eggs :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use the following recipe for my smoothie in the morning

180grams of mix tropical frozen fruit, 50 grams of weider vanilla, 1 cup of almond milk, 1 cup of diet pom/cran juice.

I get about 43grams of protein and 360 calories for it. Keeps me from being hungry until about 11am (I drink it about 8am) and by that time a small greek yogurt does the trick.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you dont like protein powder, then add one or two of these.

total-0.jpg

They are 100 calories and 18 g protein. Add two and you have 200 cals for 36g protein. Pretty much EXACTLY if not better than most protein powders.

Make sure your fruit like banana is sliced and frozen before adding. this is what makes it creamy.

I like to do 1 contained fage, half a frozen banana, a tablespoon of pb2, and a tablespoon of chocolate syrup.

It ends up being: 227 calories and 22g protein. If you want more protein, add another container of fage and it's 327 calories and 40g protein!

If you like protein, i like optimum nutrition and dymatize.
  • gailhughbart
    gailhughbart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a protein drink that I've used in the past, it's Unjury, you have to order it on line but I really like the taste and it is one that Baratric docs suggest!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    EAS Lean 15 whey protein powder is the one I like. The others all seem to taste nasty to me. :X
  • brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use the 1st Phorm Strawberry Milkshake protein. 2 scoops protein, 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk, and 1 cup of frozen strawberries is 388 calories, 25 carbs, 11 fat, 50 protein, 10 sugar and 5 fiber.
    And it tastes like an actual strawberry shake, win!
  • azkunk
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have done the Fage with almond milk but it just too heavy/ creamy for me. I was hoping to try something different. I appreciate the suggestions for the powders and I will be researching reviews for them online. Thanks for the suggestions :)
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    How about egg whites, milk, greek yogurt, whipped topping, ice and your favorite fruit? This is high in protein and no artificial flavor taste you get from protein powders...
  • azkunk
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    How about egg whites, milk, greek yogurt, whipped topping, ice and your favorite fruit? This is high in protein and no artificial flavor taste you get from protein powders...

Probably cheaper too. Maybe, I just need to experiment with my recipe.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie most days for lunch. My diary is public, if you want to take a look. The one I make is super delicious and filling!
  • Katus130
    Katus130 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Most mornings I have a scoop of Amazing Meal ( made by Amazing Grass) blended with almond milk, ice, and a scoop of pb2. I sometimes add a cup of Greek yoghurt if I am really hungry but I never have a big appetite first thing in the morning.
  • azkunk
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie most days for lunch. My diary is public, if you want to take a look. The one I make is super delicious and filling!

Looks good. Thanks for sharing :)
  • azkunk
    Options
    Katus130 wrote: »
    Most mornings I have a scoop of Amazing Meal ( made by Amazing Grass) blended with almond milk, ice, and a scoop of pb2. I sometimes add a cup of Greek yoghurt if I am really hungry but I never have a big appetite first thing in the morning.

I checked the website. It doesn't seem to be high in protein but could be a good addition if I go back to making my own with greek yogurt.

• Ashleydionna
    Options
    I usually add unsweetened almond milk, kale, and fruit to my protein shakes.
  • dhvozza
    dhvozza Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The Trutein brand is very yummy. I love the banana cream flavor with unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
  • azkunk
    Options
    Thanks, Ashley and dhvozza