For people who have overcome an ED...

Options
I have been healthy for 8 months now, in the gym lifting weights, doing cardio, and my weight is fine (125lbs at 5'3). I have built big muscles and am strong but can't help but notice some surface fat on my abdomen. I'm not sure why it's there, as prior to my ED I carried more fat on my legs... But now, I have leaner legs but a bit of pudge on my abdomen. My abs are somewhat visible, but there is significantly more fat. My diet is completely clean, no artificial sugar or empty calories. Is this something that will work its way out? I eat roughly 2,000 calories a day with about 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat.

Replies

• hypatiaswan
    hypatiaswan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing. In fact, aim to ADD more work with the weights, And more muscle. Add in high intensity interval sprints twice weekly such as tabata etc. also you don't know that you have increased fat around your abs. The women who actually USE their abs in a functional way (as opposed to doing crunches and other so called ab workouts) don't usually have the 6 pack abs. Look at some elite athletes. Their abs are rather thick and muscular without the 6 pack because they use these muscles functionally to lift, carry, torque, push, pull, hinge, lunge, squat, throw, jump and explode. . My sport emphasizes the obliques as well, so I don't have the cute hourglass shape either. But I am very lean as determined by displacement methods. Don't get hung up on beach bod. Aim to get stronger, not thinner or lighter. The beach bod comes with the territory. And have fun being a BEAST!
  • crjmg
    crjmg Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing. In fact, aim to ADD more work with the weights, And more muscle. Add in high intensity interval sprints twice weekly such as tabata etc. also you don't know that you have increased fat around your abs. The women who actually USE their abs in a functional way (as opposed to doing crunches and other so called ab workouts) don't usually have the 6 pack abs. Look at some elite athletes. Their abs are rather thick and muscular without the 6 pack because they use these muscles functionally to lift, carry, torque, push, pull, hinge, lunge, squat, throw, jump and explode. . My sport emphasizes the obliques as well, so I don't have the cute hourglass shape either. But I am very lean as determined by displacement methods. Don't get hung up on beach bod. Aim to get stronger, not thinner or lighter. The beach bod comes with the territory. And have fun being a BEAST!

Aww thanks so much for that support. You are right, I have realized that abdominals do vary in their appearance. I do HIIT but mostly on the stair master on level 18 and it makes me sweat pretty hard. I hope to do sprints again outside on the track this summer.