pork - is it good or bad?

Options
I'm restarting my lose weight goal, and have had many questions pop up in my miND, but the one that really pops right now is Is Pork Good Or Bad Meat? I have very little red meats in my diet, mostly seafood and chicken,

Replies

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It's gooooooooooooooood; just had some for dinner. We have to keep an eye on the fat and calories, of course.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Do not understand question....Good? Yes, good.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The only bad meat is meat that was left out in the sun......
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Good? It's delicious!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Pork is great.... Especially bacon... On pork... I do not watch fat or calories.
  • fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    good cheaper than chicken usually, cheaper than beef too usually... calories to protien ratio is pretty good too.. fats good for ya.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I think it's delish
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yeah I like the calorie count on pork quite a bit.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin is very low in fat and quite tasty. Oh, and let us not forget bacon...
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    MMM I love a good pork chop for dinner. I bake mine with seasoned bread crumbs, some parmesan cheese and a bunch of spices. Delicious!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Pork good.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Good or bad for what?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Leaving aside religious reasons not to eat pork, if you eat meat it's tasty and nutritious. Bacon is amazing, and pork tenderloin is delicious when properly cooked (so there's still a little pink in it—get it over 137°F to kill any parasites, but don't dry it out). Rub it with spices and olive oil before roasting it, and get an instant-read thermometer so you don't overdo it.

Like most animal protein it's best consumed in moderation. But what isn't?

And in general, there are no foods that are "good" or "bad" in isolation. It all depends on the overall composition of your diet. A little pork now and then is fine, but if most of your calories come from animal protein, then adding pork isn't necessarily a good thing. Similarly, I love a good cheese, but I try to ensure that fatty dairy products aren't a major part of my diet.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Disappointed to hear recently that pork has more antibiotics than chicken but I still say very, very good. Of course loins & chops are OK but I favor shoulder or butt. Had to give up country ham over salt and blood pressure; major loss! Hocks are great especially if you can get the meaty ones that are higher on the leg. Neck bones make a great stock and smoked neck bones are better with greens than hocks. I've only used chitlins (chitterlings?) for sausage casings but some people swear by them. Pig feet (trotters), the kind in the meat case, not the pickled bottled kind, are great for soups, stews and stocks. Almost no fat; practically pure collagen. By the way you don't see the foot in the finished dish, you just taste the broth. Speaking of which, I can't understand why pork broth is not more appreciated by the public. There mustn't be a market for it because you never see it canned like the chicken, beef or vegetable broth. If you're gonna cook a pot of beans, greens or pea soup, pork broth is what you want to start with. Haven't even mentioned bacon, bellies, jowls or tails.
  • arditarose
    Options
    ^^this guy knows his pork
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    It's awesome.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Pork is delicious, versatile, and many cuts are lean. Get some pork on your fork!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Old hobo for the win !

I'd like to try some bbq snoot.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm pork :)