Losing motivation

Options
I have been way over my calories for the past four days. The holiday weekend killed my self-control, I haven't worked out in about three weeks and I feel flabbier than ever. I am having such a hard time sticking with anything even though I know I need to get healthier and I badly want to lose 50 lbs. I feel so defeated this week... :(

Replies

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Try baby steps. Make one small positive goal. Log your food. Make a small effort at some exercise. Keep taking baby steps until you get back on track. Also check the posts on the Motivation category.
  • galaxie_gurl
    galaxie_gurl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where your coming from!! It is hard when you feel like your sliding downhill to get back on track but the best way to do it is to just forgive yourself and plan to start fresh! Just remind yourself that you CAN do it! A weekend of not great eating and 3 weeks of no exercise sucks BUT in the grand scheme of things it's nothing :) You could totally lose that 50lbs if you set your mind to it! If you are looking for some extra motivation I would love to help!! I am in my own weight loss journey and love to help others!! Feel free to add me as a friend and we can talk more :)
  • LucyOver
    LucyOver Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Motivation is fleeting. It's habits that get you through. Start creating good habits they will stick. Why have you not exercised? If it's because you don't like it find something yo do like. I log and weigh my food because it's now an ingrained habit. It's also valuable to look at the big picture. one day, one family celebration or one weekend does not undo all your work, Good luck
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I agree. Take small steps. Like pick one thing to do today that no matter what, you do it. It will make you feel like you have control over something. Many of us struggle daily. Some days it is just hard. You can do it focus on one thing today, one thing tomorrow, keep going!
  • LucyOver
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you!! Logging on mfp has become a habit and somewhat fun, but last night when I completed my entry for the day I could've cried. I knew what I had to do and slacked off! I'll get there though!
    My small goal for this week is to get back to working out the next 3 days! I think I can!
    Thank you!
  • R_Queenie
    R_Queenie Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    LucyOver---would love to send you an invite to our Challenge group that focuses on staying in your daily calorie range!!! I am also in a 3 things group where you choose 3 SMALL things to improve for the month---each of these help you to focus on small / do-able changes every day! (goals range from flossing, to drinking water, to be nice to myself, to No F'Bombs!)

Will happily send invites to anyone interested! They are both great groups - just send me a message! Best wishes!
  • Cking1162
    Cking1162 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    start with today and forget about yesterday.
    establish habits....like going to the gym on the weekdays...
    one day at a time.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Every day is a fresh start on your future. Don't beat yourself over past failures.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    R_Queenie wrote: »

Will happily send invites to anyone interested! They are both great groups - just send me a message! Best wishes!

I would love to. :)
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where your coming from!! It is hard when you feel like your sliding downhill to get back on track but the best way to do it is to just forgive yourself and plan to start fresh! Just remind yourself that you CAN do it! A weekend of not great eating and 3 weeks of no exercise sucks BUT in the grand scheme of things it's nothing :) You could totally lose that 50lbs if you set your mind to it! If you are looking for some extra motivation I would love to help!! I am in my own weight loss journey and love to help others!! Feel free to add me as a friend and we can talk more :)

Totally agree. I have just returned from a two months diet break after losing 10 kg. (22 pounds). I think it is so much easier after a wee break. :)
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Have cheat meals or snacks rather than cheat days and spend at least a couple of days eating at maintenance rather than loss and it'll help you stick to it I find x
  • Tabbitha1968
    Tabbitha1968 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Each day is new with no mistakes, act like yesterday never happened, you can't go back so just move on. when I began I realized that motivation doesn't really have much to do with your success. Action does. Making the choice to eat well and exercise even when you don't want to, makes you successful, not motivation. If you wait to feel motivated nothing will ever happen.
  • shannonmaines
    shannonmaines Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It is hard when you lose motivation, but as others here have posted, start with small goals to get yourself back on track. I know personally that once I get in a funk, I need to start fresh and get myself back in the groove. I find that once I start making it a habit again, it is much easier to stick to. You can do it!
  • LucyOver
    Options
    I really appreciate all the supportive advice! Thank you all!