Creatine, is it bad if used for too prolonged of a period

Options
Anyone know of any studies pertaining to long term use of creatine? I know the body naturally produces about a gram of creatine daily. I wonder if long term supplementing would cause this to stop or otherwise damage the body?

The reason I wonder, is b/c I have joint pain when I lift in one of my elbows.

However, when I'm using creatine, I have nearly zero pain in the joint.

I can't find any definitive research on this. I'm tempted to use creatine permeanently.

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    from what I have read there have been no adverse effects of prolonged use of creatine so long as it is used per the label, I have used it on and off once for a one year period with no side effects that I noticed. Micronized creatine being the best choice.
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If you creatiine dosage is out of this world it can damage you kidney. But if you stay within the recommended limit with proper water intake you will be fine.

Elbow problems can be hard to diagnose. Id say let it heal, take it easy for a bit or see a doctor. Joint pain is natural for lifting heavy weights. That is what deloading periods are for. Supplementing Omega-3 and fish oil can allow you to get the fatty acids your body requires and help with general joint health.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Sorry to jump in here--the joint pain you are experiencing sounds the same as what I have and from the research I've done regarding it is that it is a 'forearm splint' (similar to shin splints, as a result of overtraining) or 'tennis elbow'. I have no idea why the creatine would help it... but maybe the formula you are taking has some anti inflammatory properties, which would explain why the pain wouldn't be there. I have to take ibuprofen before I lift, because I'm in so much pain sometimes. I've had it for about 5 weeks and it is starting to subside now... anyway... sorry to hijack this thread, I just wanted to encourage you to look up some of the symptoms of pain you were experiencing before it gets worse. Here's link that describes the pain and what it is: http://bodyandhealth.canada.com/condition_info_details.asp?disease_id=318

Just disregard this if I'm talking outta my *kitten*!!!
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Creatine is a cofactor for Creatine kinase which is responsible for ATP (cellular energy) production. Hence, upping Creatine supplements increases the regeneration rate of ATP in muscles and enable you to work harder and longer.

The trade off is Creatine is broken down into creatinine. Creatinine is what is filtered by the kidney. In high levels, it is extremely hard on the kidney. Other side effects include constipation and GI inflammation.

As far as I know, there is no long term damage as long as you drink plenty of water. You need a lot of extra water to rid of excess creatinine without hurting the kidney and to prevent constipation.
  • jwalker30
    jwalker30 Posts: 282
    Options
    Now I may be completely wrong, but I think the creatine may reduce pain b/c the added water in my muscles may be acting as some sort of support/stabilization of the joint area?

Anyone know if the body would stop naturally producing creatine with long term use. I've only taken dosage as instructed on labels with previous use.
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    nope. it actually can promote more natural release of creatine in your body. Some youtube videos should help with this one.
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    No studies have shown that creatine is damaging and needs to be cycled on and off.

I still do it because I feel it loses it's effectiveness after about a month.

Creatine monohydrate shouldn't have any effect on your joints but extra water intake may.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Creatine is fine. Just be careful not to tear a muscle.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Facepalm.

It takes a month to reach saturation. This is when creating BEGINS to show an effect.

If you cycle off after a month you're literally throwing your money down the toilet.
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Facepalm.

It takes a month to reach saturation. This is when creating BEGINS to show an effect.

If you cycle off after a month you're literally throwing your money down the toilet.

Avi: None
    Username: RonSwanson66
    Reading Comprehension Skills: Mongoloid

Who said, I use creatine for a month? After my 2 week load, it takes me about a month before I stop noticing it's effects.

Saying it takes a month to reach saturation is idiotic. Not only does it work differently for everyone but you don't even know how much creatine an individual was getting from food sources.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Facepalm.

Avi: None
    Username: RonSwanson66
    Reading Comprehension Skills: Mongoloid

Who said, I use creatine for a month? After my 2 week load, it takes me about a month before I stop noticing it's effects.

Saying it takes a month to reach saturation is idiotic. Not only does it work differently for everyone but you don't even know how much creatine an individual was getting from food sources.

LOL.

Yes, you can reach saturation faster by loading. But this doesn't change the fact that you clearly have no understanding how creatine works, or you wouldn't be cycling off after a month.

Perhaps the placebro effects may wear off after that amount of time. But the real effects continue.
  • simonsaysmx
    simonsaysmx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I took sci fit Kre alkaline capsules for 2 years with a few short breaks and had great results but now.. Even three years later creatine and Kre alkaline makes me feel horrible even with proper hydration. Any ideas??
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Been on and off creatine for sports since I was 16 with no adverse effects. Much like everyone else is saying as long as you are not going overboard with like 20+ grams a day I feel like you would be fine. Keep in mind that you body produces creatine naturally particularly when eating red meats so depending on diet you may have a higher or lower tolerance but all in all it is one of the most studied and safest performance supplements out there. I myself stay in between 5-10 grams of creatine monohydrate a day for 12-15 weeks then take a break from it for 2 weeks whenever I do take it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mamitosami wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in here--the joint pain you are experiencing sounds the same as what I have and from the research I've done regarding it is that it is a 'forearm splint' (similar to shin splints, as a result of overtraining) or 'tennis elbow'. I have no idea why the creatine would help it... but maybe the formula you are taking has some anti inflammatory properties, which would explain why the pain wouldn't be there. I have to take ibuprofen before I lift, because I'm in so much pain sometimes. I've had it for about 5 weeks and it is starting to subside now... anyway... sorry to hijack this thread, I just wanted to encourage you to look up some of the symptoms of pain you were experiencing before it gets worse. Here's link that describes the pain and what it is: http://bodyandhealth.canada.com/condition_info_details.asp?disease_id=318

Just disregard this if I'm talking outta my *kitten*!!!

What you are describing sounds like a tendon issue, not a joint problem. So called "tennis elbow" is about gripping the raquet too hard. Nothing to do with the elbow per se, other than that the tendon attaches there. Rock climbers have loads of tendon issues in arms/elbows because of bearing so much weight in their hands. A NSAID would help.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    jwalker30 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any studies pertaining to long term use of creatine? I know the body naturally produces about a gram of creatine daily. I wonder if long term supplementing would cause this to stop or otherwise damage the body?

The reason I wonder, is b/c I have joint pain when I lift in one of my elbows.

However, when I'm using creatine, I have nearly zero pain in the joint.

I can't find any definitive research on this. I'm tempted to use creatine permeanently.

Do you know what is causing the pain? If it is the joint or the tendon and you have only figured out a way to mask the pain, you are going to end up disabled.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    If you creatiine dosage is out of this world it can damage you kidney. But if you stay within the recommended limit with proper water intake you will be fine.

Elbow problems can be hard to diagnose. Id say let it heal, take it easy for a bit or see a doctor. Joint pain is natural for lifting heavy weights. That is what deloading periods are for. Supplementing Omega-3 and fish oil can allow you to get the fatty acids your body requires and help with general joint health.

I've had elbow strain previously, you could wear a brace while lifting....Generally, 4-6 weeks rest cleared up the pain...
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I used creatine twenty years ago for less than six months i gained a lot of muscle and no damage was done when i came off it i did not lost my muscle mass