Opinions wanted, please read.

Options
daniebanks
daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys,

So I recently paid for a meal/training plan to be customized and created for me, it was an 8 week program.
I received a survey to fill out about myself/body/goals as well as sending in before photos. In return I received my customized meal & training plan.

My main issue was the calories & macros. The calorie amount was 1337 with macros of 103C/50F/140P. I tried to enter it into MFP and it wouldn't work out to be an even ratio, I asked about this and the reply was "the macros you need to enter would be 40/30/46" - I was under the impression macros need to equal to a total of 100?

Conclusion - my height is 5'4, body weight 132lbs/60kg, exercising 6 days a week which consist of 4-5 days of lifting. 1337 calories seems Really low to me, infact it would be the lowest i've gone, I don't understand how this is a suitable recommended number to give someone when they will be lifting for at least an hour each morning + doing cardio 6 out of 7 days.

Can anyone shed some light or opinions on this.
Please do not comment telling me I shouldn't of paid etc etc, I read forums/articles all the time trying to educate myself. I was just interested in getting some professional advice once off but have realized it was a waste of time/money !

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    It sounds low as *kitten* to me, too.

I'm 5'2", 108, and lightly active. I maintain at 1775.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

I'm also 5'2", and should weigh 108. Can't wait until I can maintain at 1775!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My stats are the same. MFP gives me 1590 to lose .5 lbs a week. 1337 without eating exercise calories back seems low.

Also, just get your macros as close to the grams given as possible. 140 is a little high. .8 grams per pound of body fat would give you 107 grams, which could be used as your minimum.
  • daniebanks
    Options
    Well, you've asked about whether the amount you've been given is low but it's hard to say without knowing your goals. Are you trying to lose weight? At what pace?

Sorry, should of mentioned that part. I'm happy with my weight, i'm just trying to build more muscle. I can eat every 2-3 hours, my diary is open, 1337 is just really low for me and i was quite surpised to be sent that number.

• daniebanks
    Options

arditarose wrote: »
    My stats are the same. MFP gives me 1590 to lose .5 lbs a week. 1337 without eating exercise calories back seems low.

Also, just get your macros as close to the grams given as possible. 140 is a little high. .8 grams per pound of body fat would give you 107 grams, which could be used as your minimum.

Yeh it seemed very low to me too! especially considering the amount of lifting/exercise in general.

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Fair warning, I have a fast metabolism. Sadly, it's not as fast as I can operate a fork or an ice cream scoop. But, YMMV.
  • arditarose
    Options
    daniebanks wrote: »

Yeh it seemed very low to me too! especially considering the amount of lifting/exercise in general.

So what do you want to do? I mean...I know you spent money on the program, but if you're happy with your weight and you want to build muscle you should be in a surplus, or at least maintenance to try a recomp.
  • daniebanks
    Options

So what do you want to do? I mean...I know you spent money on the program, but if you're happy with your weight and you want to build muscle you should be in a surplus, or at least maintenance to try a recomp.

Yeah I won't be doing 1337, I have a pretty fast metabolism and push myself in the gym, I reckon id be grumpy and starving on 1337 . Just couldnt believe that's what they suggested !

• arditarose
    Options

Yeah I won't be doing 1337, I have a pretty fast metabolism and push myself in the gym, I reckon id be grumpy and starving on 1337 . Just couldnt believe that's what they suggested !

Yeah...so eat their food, plus more. What's the training program like? I'm surprised that if it is tailored for your needs, and wanting to build muscle, they gave you a huge deficit.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would they give you such a big deficit when you aren't even trying to lose weight? I am so confused. Was the other information that you paid for helpful - the meal plan etc?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Get your money back.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Get your money back.
    I agree. If your goal is not to lose weight 1337 is insane.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What about the percentages not adding up??
  • daniebanks
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    Why on earth would they give you such a big deficit when you aren't even trying to lose weight? I am so confused. Was the other information that you paid for helpful - the meal plan etc?

That's what I thought. Im not new to gym either, I just finished a 12 week program (kayla itsines aswell as adding in my own lifting sessions) so im aware of my energy levels depending on how much food im consuming. If you asked anyone I know they would tell you im eating all the time lol but good foods, and cheats in moderation.

The meal plan i was sent was literally for ONE day which shocked me, it was so basic, I could of written it myself in 2 seconds. The training guide was for one week. it also had ALOT of stready state cardio, which goes against everything i've seen about overdoing cardio when trying to build muslce
  • arditarose
    Options

That's the fault of the program. She would just have to give and take a few grams here or there to get them all to equal 100% in MFP.
  • daniebanks
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Get your money back.
    I agree. If your goal is not to lose weight 1337 is insane.

Yeah i agree.

This really confused me too.. 40/30/46 ? :neutral:

• arditarose
    Options

That's what I thought. Im not new to gym either, I just finished a 12 week program (kayla itsines aswell as adding in my own lifting sessions) so im aware of my energy levels depending on how much food im consuming. If you asked anyone I know they would tell you im eating all the time lol but good foods, and cheats in moderation.

The meal plan i was sent was literally for ONE day which shocked me, it was so basic, I could of written it myself in 2 seconds. The training guide was for one week. it also had ALOT of stready state cardio, which goes against everything i've seen about overdoing cardio when trying to build muslce

Hmm...was it very pricey? Maybe you should try to get your money back? Or give it to a short sedentary girl who wants to lose weight.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My opinion... you paid for a program. Do what they've said for a week. Chart your food and weigh yourself at the end of week. If you've lost weight and that's not your goal inform the program that's not your goal. Their job will be to make it work. I exercise a lot and weight train. I'm 5'4". I eat 1200 a day. I do want to lose weight. I really tighten up my diet to stay in the 1200 range this month and I've lost 9 pounds. You'll see, I bet, in a week if its too low.
  • daniebanks
    Options

Hmm...was it very pricey? Maybe you should try to get your money back? Or give it to a short sedentary girl who wants to lose weight.

wasn't overly expensive but def not worth what I paid. Lesson learnt. Oh well!
  • tiffanycherie
    tiffanycherie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are not happy with what you bought into. Can you send everything back and get a refund?