how do people get motivated

Options
I am so not motivated and am forcing myself through the motions and frankly I hate this. In my mind I have to do it because I am bad and it is a punishment, and I can not enjoy the good things.

Replies

• theonlysheesha
    theonlysheesha Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think why I want to lose weight, and honestly it make me feel better when I do get out an excise, nothing crazy for me just walking. But I don't want to get so big I cant walk and I am heading down that path if I don't do something about it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's not about motivation, it's about discipline.
  • JoanFitnessWarrior
    JoanFitnessWarrior Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You deserve to be the best you that you can be, well done for persevering- you did not throw in the towel, pretty soon people are going to start to see the change in you, this will spur you on, been there. Still get fed up with it, but the general feeling of well being is so worth it! Sounds like you have great willpower and this will bring you through, we can do this. Best of luck to you :)
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out...I didn't take it too seriously even though I made some gains but there was a period of time I didn't work out at all (I just did push ups and sit ups). However...because I was overweight for my age and height....I had gallbladder surgery, which was successful. Over time...after watching alot of YT videos like the Hodgetwins and looking up articles online...I decided I wanted to make lifestyle choices and do everything in my power to be the best person I can be physically. I've lost a total of 18 lbs. from 212 lbs? So it's really about discipline in keeping a work out regime of strength training, cardio and eating right (no need to go on extreme diets...it's just the matter of being on a calorie deficit to lose fat or a surplus to gain muscle).
  • juliev1121
    juliev1121 Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Change how our mind speaks to you. Lots of strategies if you google. When you mind says no I dont want to because... say to yourself on repeat "I want to because". Smile as you do it. Calm your mind, a small meditation, breathe deep think of your goals, inject belief in yourself, and then open your eyes refreshed. Also, surround yourself with what you want to become. Follow fitness/healthy eating instagram accounts for example. Finally, make a plan in advance and stick to it. Make it reasonable and attainable (do not push extreme dieting or workouts, do it steady and healthy) then stick to it no matter what, do not talk yourself out of it. Its your commitment. If you said Im eating these things today and going to the gym to do these exercises at this time. Do it. No excuses. You walk to the kitchen to get a treat, stop there its not in the plan. Get firm - its not just about this - being that way is what makes a person successful in all facets of life so see it as bettering yourself in all ways.
    The fact is, a healthy life is a gift. As you make eating healthy and exercise part of you, your body craves it. I had a big plan to go out for bday pizza, and I did, and you know what? It sucked and I felt gross after and I have no desire to do it again. Get positive about making yourself a better version of you!! Every time you feel its a punishment, explain to yourself why its a gift and feel truly grateful.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Sorchya wrote: »
    I am so not motivated and am forcing myself through the motions and frankly I hate this. In my mind I have to do it because I am bad and it is a punishment, and I can not enjoy the good things.

This sounds messed up imo and is unlikely to lead you to consistent success.
    Forcing yourself to do something you dont want to is unlikely to be sustainable.
    You say you hate it.
    You say you have been bad , much like you would say to a child. You are 56 for goodness sake.
    You view it as a punishment.
    You say you are not allowed to enjoy good things.

Without wanting to sound mean, nut honestly is that the way to approach things. Big deal you have to lose some weight like the majority of people using this site, learn how the successful ones do it. It wont be with the above attitude.
    Motivation = A reason or reasons for acting or behaving in a particular way:

So think about what might motivate you, what do you wnat to achieve and why? What are your reasons for wnating to lose weight, what are he advantages? make a list of them. How importnat are they to you? Are they importnat enough to encourage you to make some changes, such as altering your eating habits and eating obly what your body needs? Will you be willing to do a little exercise each day, just by walking for 15-30 mins as a start?

You will have to weigh things up and decide if losing the weight offers enough reasons and advantages for you to commit and do what is needed or do you want things to carry on the way they are? Thats a choice you have to make.
    Its either important enough to make change or it is not.

For me it was importnat enough.
  • Rockytop_relic
    Rockytop_relic Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Seeing my dad suffer with poor quality of life caused by diabetes from a long time of poor choices is pretty motivating. Not to mention the dialysis he does 5 days a week.
  • AlineJames
    AlineJames Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to switch it up! Find something you enjoy! Idk if it is your exercise or your diet that is giving you trouble, but try something new.

Tell people about your plan so that they can hold you accountable.

Learn more about health and fitness - subscribe to a magazine or follow some trainers through social media for daily inspiration.
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately what works for one may not work for another. For me:
    - I don't want to be embarrassed to go to the water park in the summer
    - I don't want to be embarrassed to take my clothes off when "getting into bed"
    - I don't want my daughter to be ashamed of me when I'm around her friends. I want her friends to see me and be in awe while asking "Is that YOUR dad?"
    - I don't want to die as a result of poor health the way others in my family have
    - I'm tired of being the guy that talks the talk, but always finds an excuse to not walk the walk
    - Diet and exercise have become my foundations. No matter what else happens beyond my control, I can control my eating and my training. Nothing can take those things away from me

"You can motivate by fear, and you can motivate by reward. But both those methods are only temporary. The only lasting thing is self motivation."

~Homer Rice~
  • rcaissie2012
    rcaissie2012 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to point out that you have to change your mind set more then you need motivation. To say that you are bad and this is punishment is so wrong! You need to do some soul searching and make the decision of if you want to lose weight and why or you love yourself the way you are. Once you make that decision it will totally change. Good luck!
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It's all in the mindset. If you're telling yourself the effort you're going to is punishment then you're just going to see it as a negative thing and give up. You need to look at the big picture. I don't deny myself foods I love. I moderate them. And I make compromises. If I know one day I'm going to be bad, if I'm going to eat out then I make sure that that day or the next day I go for a long walk and run. You have to make allowances and you have to give yourself permission to indulge sometimes, but then you make adjustments to accommodate that indulgence. It can be hard to keep a healthy balance but when you start to see results that will be all the motivation you will need.
  • happy_heart_jen
    happy_heart_jen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had to pay myself in the beginning for each workout I did and it worked!
    But I do agree with some of the posters above that its a mindset. Have you ever see someone or depression? What you describe sounds like a larger issue and if not addressed will not lead to success for you. That in turn leads to a vicious cycle of always failing and being "bad". Sometimes you cant do it alone. You are worth happiness and joy!!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    What motivates me? I want to feel good and look good more than I want the alternative. A lot of it has to do with attitude. I really don't see it as difficult, complicated or a punishment. The concepts are straightforward. If I do certain behaviors, I get certain results. You don't need to be extreme, just make small, healthy changes more and more over time until they become habit. If you don't rush it, it will happen. Good luck!
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    what motivates me? I have lost more this time than I have on many many diets in the past. I tell myself everyday I can do this. I am going to get to my goal. Do I have hard days? yes. I come here and read posts from others who have persevered and succeeded and had hard days too.
    I have a long way to go to get to my final goal so I break it up into smaller pieces. lose 5 lbs or break through another zero or get to 10 % lost.

Good luck to you. YOU CAN DO THIS :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    Your mindset first has to be changed about how you feel about you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Ok, honestly, the thing that motivated me was a whole bunch of life changes happening at the same time (including a breakup). I don't know if I'd have done it otherwise.

Why are you bothering, though? Did you get bad news from a doc, something like that?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Motivation does not work, I think. Make a commitment to change your life. <3
  • omelet2000
    omelet2000 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Switch it around - what is the real punishment? Eating and living healthy and being good to yourself and your body, or slowly poisoning and killing yourself with sugar and fat and apathy?
  • Sorchya
    Sorchya Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It looks like a lot of different answers and different viewpoints for me to think about. I do have very strong programming to overcome, was raised with a lot of abuse and I find myself saying those things back to myself now. And someone nailed one thing also that it is so much easier to take care of others than to take care of myself. I was looking for what works for others who have been down that road. Thanks for sharing! And I felt it to be important to be honest with my post, not sugar coat things. I was thinking there might be others who had started from a similar point.
  • Ticklemynose
    Ticklemynose Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It looks like a lot of different answers and different viewpoints for me to think about. I do have very strong programming to overcome, was raised with a lot of abuse and I find myself saying those things back to myself now. And someone nailed one thing also that it is so much easier to take care of others than to take care of myself. I was looking for what works for others who have been down that road. Thanks for sharing! And I felt it to be important to be honest with my post, not sugar coat things. I was thinking there might be others who had started from a similar point.

Hey, I appreciate your honesty. Honesty is the first step to change. I tried therapy to change my mindset about things in general and it worked really well. I too went through abuse and it left deep emotional scars that would haunt me if I let it go on. I know what you mean when you say it is easier to take care of others. I, too thought like that. But then I would be MORE able to take care of others if I take better care of myself. =) Good luck! If you need an accountability mate, let's motivate each other!