Does it REALLY matter?

Options
2»

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    The only benefit I see from working out first thing in the morning is that I actually do it. After work I found excuse after excuse to not work out.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Some people say a fasted workout is better, and that usually happens in the morning. Even if I workout in the morning (my morning is 6am) I'm going to eat SOMETHING, or I'll pass out. I love doing spin class in the morning, so I can't just do that on an empty stomach.

Those tiny little things may or may not help people who are very lean get even leaner (although the science is divided). For the general population dietary adherence is the most important thing and the second most important thing is fitting a workout in whenever works best for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Only benefit I know of it possible higher testosterone during the afternoon (it declines as the day wear on). But that's in males. Not sure of how it affects a female.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Only thing that matters for me is that I now have short hair that doesn't weather sleeping well. So I work out with bed head to consolidate my day's showers down to ONE...

(Today I was terrible and slept in, so I've had two showers... wasteful.)
  • StephanieKTerranova
    StephanieKTerranova Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of personal preference. I found for myself that I work out better in the morning with no food in my stomach. I tend to have more energy in the morning and and get through my weight training better. But honestly do whatever works for YOU. :)
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I find that I actually am stronger in the morning so I can lift a lot more and push through more intense workouts... that still isn't enough motivation for me to do it regularly though ;)
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I always try to workout in the morning as no matter how much I try and tell myself, I never seem to make it in the evenings

exactly this
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you can stick with.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Nope. Personal preference. I work out when my energy level is the highest. Sometimes thats at 7:00 pm. Sometimes it's at 8:00 am. And sometimes when I'm pulling 24 hour days… it's right smack in the middle!
  • jmagdalena707
    jmagdalena707 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I workout when our work/family schedule dictates there is time.

That said, I try to go in the morning whenever I can because willpower tends to favor the morning.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter as long as you workout.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I usually workout inthe evening before dinner but have considered changing my routine to going to the gym before work in the early morning. Just curious though of what your opinion is...Do you think there is any added benefit to working out the morning instead of the evening?

The only real benefit for me is time management. In the evening I have other things to do, by working out in the morning the rest of my day is "free"
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Might sound odd, but if it is cardio I'm happy to do it in the morning but if its strength training I'll wait until later. I don't think I have enough concentration in the mornings and I feel like my muscles haven't 'woken up' yet. :smiley: I think it all depends on how you feel.

Edit - spelling mistakes
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i prefer morning workouts, but because of many other factors, i often have evening workouts.

personally, i like morning workouts because even if you have a craptastic day, you've already worked out.

some people like evening workouts because it helps them unwind after a long day.

whatever you enjoy.
  • mollyyy125
    mollyyy125 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've personally gone through phases where i've prefered to do my workouts at every time of day possible. I've worked out in the morning, at lunch, after work, late in the evening... you name it. I agree with everyone here who has said it's a personal preference. I just can't get my life together early enough to workout in the morning anymore, but I did love that when I WAS doing that, I never had to worry about anything popping up in the middle of the day that was going to get in the way of my workout. When I plan to workout at lunch, meetings might come up or run late and get in the way, or my department might decide to go out for a team lunch. When I plan to workout afterwork, a networking event might come up that I want to go to. Basically I liked knowing that no mater what the day throws at me, my workout is covered.
  • Jessikin13
    Jessikin13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'd rather work out in the afternoon but because of my work schedule I have to do it in the morning. It took me about a month to get used to it and I feel more motivated to eat better through the day if I've gotten in a good work out in the morning. And I feel a little less inclined to eat terrible and undo what I've done. But it's personal preference
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    mollyyy125 wrote: »
    I've personally gone through phases where i've prefered to do my workouts at every time of day possible.

true. this winter i didn't have motivation to workout before 6am.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Some people say a fasted workout is better, and that usually happens in the morning. Even if I workout in the morning (my morning is 6am) I'm going to eat SOMETHING, or I'll pass out. I love doing spin class in the morning, so I can't just do that on an empty stomach.

I think that's personal preference as well. If you need to have a little something before working out, then have a little something.