Hula hoop to lose weight?

Options
Hi does anyone use a hula hoop to exercise? I seen something online that using a hula hoop everyday is fantastic to lose inches just wondering does anyone use it to exercise

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    This is an activity that may provide some cardiovascular health benefits (limited) and some core endurance (even more limited). Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. You can't hula hoop away overeating.

What are your health and fitness goals?

• summers09jo
    summers09jo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply . I need to lose 56lbs for my goal, I've lost 11lbs so far. Trying to introduce a a new exercise and heard the hula hoop was fab, I've been using a cross trainer and Walking so far with doing ab crunches, I'm sticking to the 1200 cals set for me on the Mfp :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Just keep eating at a deficit, and then pick exercises you enjoy and that apply to your other fitness goals (cardiovascular, endurance, strength, balance, mobility, agility, speed, etc.).

• summers09jo
    summers09jo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help and advise :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I tried that - the burn is almost nil. The cross-trainer & walking are better. What about a fitnessblender workout?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's good for working your core. Not that good for burning calories, though.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    When looking at ANY exercise ask yourself: would I be able to do this consistently (fun, makes you feel good, gives you a goals..etc)? If the answer is yes, then yes it will help your fitness goals and to some extent your weight loss goals (by augmenting the calories you are eating).
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people are diminishing it as cardio. It's essentially walking in place. Anyone who hasn't hula hooped before with an adult size and weight hula hoop shouldn't really comment. I'm always sweating after half an hour of hooping while I watch tv. Of course doing it for a small amount of time a day without any other form of exercise and without reducing your calorie intake...you're not going to lose weight.

And incidentally I think 1200 calories is too low for almost anyone so I would consider burning more calories so you can eat at least 1400-1500 as it's hard to get all the nutrients your body needs otherwise.

Also like the previous poster said- if you find it fun and can do it consistently it's great! Moving your body is always a good thing!
  • betht458
    betht458 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love hula hooping!! Look up hula hoop tricks on YouTube. There are tons that will challenge you so you can get more of a burn. I'd definitely add it to all of your other exercise! It's low impact and really fun! However just standing there twirling your hoop isn't going to do much. Learn all of the cool tricks! I have a weighted hoop and trying (and sometimes perfecting) the moves can work up quite a sweat. I'm not sure how much it weighs, a friend made it for me. It's great exercise if you're trying a bunch of different moves and tricks, but even then and like I said, stick with your other exercises as well.

Have fun!
  • yogabritt89
    yogabritt89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hula hooping burns 200-400 calories an hour and is sooo fun I don't even consider it a workout!!! I can hoop hardcore to a 7 minute song and barely be able to breathe! Look up some hoop dancers on YouTube!

Also I like to waist hoop while doing squats, calf raises, dumbells. If you practice moving it up ad down your body you'll get amazing core strength. Playing with a hoop with your arms will give you guns too. Do it!!!