What are your best HABITS for losing weight?

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    logging is number one for me.

Shopping to ensure I have enough protein.

Planning most of the day in advance and ensuring enough protein in the first few meals that I don't have to eat 500g of meat for dinner.

Still being flexible enough that I can sub out things that I had planned to eat if need be and not stressing about it.

Realising that muscles don't fall off overnight if you miss your macros by a bit :tongue:

Regular strength training.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    jordistsm wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Going food shopping more often. So you don't end up Saturday night with a choice between beef noodles or takeaway pizza or Chinese.

So you have something nice and healthier to eat and not leave it up to your hunger or boredom to decide on what to eat.

Prelogging a day or two in advance works together with this.

Yes. This. Making sure I've always got a crisper full of fresh vegies, and a fully stock freezer and pantry. Much faster to cook something up than have to go out somewhere for drive through.

I used to go shopping like once a week, stock up. Now I aim for Sunday and Wednesday. That way if I do run out of something like milk it's only like 1 day till I get more etc.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I pack my gym bag the night before and weigh all of my food out for the day as I'm eating breakfast. I also stopped carrying around change so I can't use the vending machine at work even if I want to!

Basically if I have my gym bag with me I have no excuses and I'll just go to the gym. It helps that I bought new gym clothing because I feel a bit more confident about being there as well.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Logging food and using a food scale - keeps me aware of whats going in my body.
  • littlehappystitches
    littlehappystitches Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Logging food and using a food scale - keeps me aware of whats going in my body.
    this
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Lots of good tips here already. To add:

a) Work on healthy boundaries. Neither saying no or yes to everything works. Long term fat loss and staying in maintenance is not a black/white relationship. Substituting works as a strategy too.

b) For sanity: Don't get too obsessed over details. Have some mental flexibility. Forgive mistakes. Learn lesson. Move on.

c) Exercise. Accept your noobness. We're all noobs at something. It's not enjoyable. The body needs more or less ca 3 trials to transport a movement to muscle memory. When the body remembers what to do, it feels effortless. Until then, suck it up.

d) Stay curious. If stalled or adapted to current level, up your game by trying something new. It doesn't have to be big. Try a new flavor or new exercise, try on hilarious clothes just to have a laugh.

TL;DR Forgive mistakes. Learn lesson. Move on.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This
    quote="JakeNJ95;19673450"]Every time I get hungry I have a glass of water to make sure that I am not thirsty. Your brain likes to play games with you and make you think your hungry when you are thirsty and you keep eating when in reality you are thirsty not hungry. This has helped me a lot.[/quote]

• lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Taking my younger brother out for walks and bike rides - helps me AND him!
    Using skim milk instead of whole saved quite a lot of adding up calories!
    Finding sports that I ENJOY such as skateboarding, badminton, netball and biking rather than forcing myself to go to the gym or run! :)
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    *Weighing food
    *Planning meals in advance

:)
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Lifting. Logging. And not letting setbacks sideline me.
  • AndreaEIE
    AndreaEIE Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Logging EVERYTHING, even down to the condiments, even if it puts me over my calories for the day.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    10k steps a day. Cooking my own food from scratch. Not snacking at work.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Eat 5×a day. Preplan prepack if I have to be away from home. If I have to eat out eat a half portion or healthiest least calorie thing. Exercise first thing in morning and daily walks. Learning about calories and the best way to utilize for maximum satiety. Keep promises like I will work out for 5 min minimum today. Challenge myself with something new as ofyen as possible like miles, running, a goal like 50 mike walk to work and train toward.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    knitapeace wrote: »
    It's now a total habit for me to pre-log for the next day at night. This has helped not only with weight loss, but also with getting prepped and out the door in the morning, saving money on groceries, and not needing to "run out for lunch" at work. I get a bit angry if I can't pre-log the night before now!

This is me. Prelogging the night before (except dinner, never know what Chef Husband will be cooking up for dinner) has prompted me also to set up the coffeemaker, lay out my exercise and work clothes, and pack my daughter's lunch ahead of time. My mornings start way earlier now that I have the habit of waking early for exercise, but they go more smoothly due to diligent planning.

So my 2 best new habits are prelogging and exercise.

And this girl works hard and diligently! She is so motivational! :blush:
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Logging, cooking own food and not eating after a certain time at night. Those three things have made such a difference for me!
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes to logging and weighing! Plus I put my groceries in the trunk not the back seat so I can't mindlessly munch on the way home!
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Just rediscovered this thread! Thanks for the tips - any more good habits out there that you want to share? This is priceless!
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    1. Drink water.
    2. Train consistently.
    3. Sleep.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Planning and pre logging. Scaling food. Placing
    utensils on my plate to savor the texture and flavor between bites. Drinking more water. Staying close or near my calorie requirements.
    Exercise, mountain hiking. Just moving more.

Learning what foods fuel my body. (energy)
    Taking each day one at a time.
    Being accountable for myself.

Keeping a positive attitude.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Motivation is always what keeps you going, but habits help! These are my five big ones that I developed and work for me:

Weighing, then exercising first thing in the morning
    Not eating at night
    Drinking about 15oz water before I hit the hay
    Eating healthy foods
    Getting enough sleep

I realize that those things aren't necessary, but the question wasn't, "What is necessary?" - it was, "What do you do?"