A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Pork is good as long as you trim the fat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Leaving aside religious reasons not to eat pork, if you eat meat it's tasty and nutritious. Bacon is amazing, and pork tenderloin is delicious when properly cooked (so there's still a little pink in it—get it over 137°F to kill any parasites, but don't dry it out). Rub it with spices and olive oil before roasting it, and get an instant-read thermometer so you don't overdo it.

Like most animal protein it's best consumed in moderation. But what isn't?

And in general, there are no foods that are "good" or "bad" in isolation. It all depends on the overall composition of your diet. A little pork now and then is fine, but if most of your calories come from animal protein, then adding pork isn't necessarily a good thing. Similarly, I love a good cheese, but I try to ensure that fatty dairy products aren't a major part of my diet.

Yes, yes, yes, to all this!

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Pork is great. I dig on swine. I also love crackling or scratchings as we call them in the UK.
  • slideaway1
    Options
    Throw some apple sauce on their too. Or BBQ sauce on pulled pork sandwiches.
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm bacon
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I think pork is gross but if it's something you enjoy and your religion doesn't forbid it, eat it.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    The pig is a magical animal. So many delicious things (bacon) come from the pig.

Ribs, bacon, shoulder (smoked and pulled or made into sausage), bacon, belly, bacon, bacon, pork chops, tenderloin, ham... and bacon

If health is a concern, pork chops, tenderloins and ham are some of the lowest-fat* animal proteins you can find. It is flavorful and versatile. Lots of great things you can do. Bacon

*By low-fat I am only implying it is lower in calories than other choices, not that fat is bad

Did I mention bacon?
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    eating any animal is just weird.
  • glevinso
    Options
    yogicarl wrote: »
    eating any animal is just weird.

Animals are amazing and delicious and this thread is clearly not for you
  • slideaway1
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    The pig is a magical animal. So many delicious things (bacon) come from the pig.

Ribs, bacon, shoulder (smoked and pulled or made into sausage), bacon, belly, bacon, bacon, pork chops, tenderloin, ham... and bacon

If health is a concern, pork chops, tenderloins and ham are some of the lowest-fat* animal proteins you can find. It is flavorful and versatile. Lots of great things you can do. Bacon

*By low-fat I am only implying it is lower in calories than other choices, not that fat is bad

Did I mention bacon?

I completely agree and eat all of those things. However, bacon and ham are probably considered processed foods. I tried to avoid Deli ham etc and bacon a few times a week is fine. I'm not scaremongering as I love all kinds of pork and regulary eat bacon, however I've read a few medical reports where doctors have said that processed and cured meats are seriously damaging our health (carcinogenic and heart problems). I'll take my chances though (within moderation).

• glevinso
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »

Did I mention bacon?

I completely agree and eat all of those things. However, bacon and ham are probably considered processed foods. I tried to avoid Deli ham etc and bacon a few times a week is fine. I'm not scaremongering as I love all kinds of pork and regulary eat bacon, however I've read a few medical reports where doctors have said that processed and cured meats are seriously damaging our health (carcinogenic and heart problems). I'll take my chances though (within moderation).

Too many confounding variables to pinpoint processed meats as the cause of heart problems. However if you want to avoid nitrated meats there are uncured versions of these things. I buy an uncured, hickory smoked bacon, so no worries about nitrates there. There are ways to make ham without the nitrate cure as well, but those are a little more rare. Regardless, as you say in moderation there is unlikely to be any long term health effect.
  • slideaway1
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »

Did I mention bacon?

Too many confounding variables to pinpoint processed meats as the cause of heart problems. However if you want to avoid nitrated meats there are uncured versions of these things. I buy an uncured, hickory smoked bacon, so no worries about nitrates there. There are ways to make ham without the nitrate cure as well, but those are a little more rare. Regardless, as you say in moderation there is unlikely to be any long term health effect.

Thanks mate. I'll look in to some of those alternatives. Some people in the UK eat bacon sandwiches every morning for breakfast and I'm not sure that it's a great idea (although tastes and smells great). I've been eating a bit of Turkey bacon on the George Forman grill recently which is probably just as risky, but the macros are a little better on it for my needs.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Another pork lover here. I am trying to lower sodium so I generally stay away from ham and bacon as regular foods but I do use boneless center cut chops and pork loins and roasts regularly.

One of my favorite recipes:

Slow Cooker Pork Loin

1/4 c., Lite Soy Sauce
    1 Tablespoon Dry Mustard Powder
    1/4 c., Maple Syrup
    2.00 tablespoon, Oil - Olive
    1 white onion, chopped
    3.00 cloves Garlic, minced
    2.00 Tsp, Ginger Paste
    1 and 1/2 lb. Fresh Pork Tenderloin, cut into bite sized pieces, or left whole ans shredded after cooking
    1 c. instant brown rice, dry
    water as needed, up to 1 cup

Put the pork in the bottom of a slow cooker and pour the onion and garlic over. Mix the remaining ingredients except the rice and water and pour over top. Cook on low 6-8 hours until the pork is done and can be shredded if cooked whole. 30-60 minutes before serving, check liquid level. Add dry rice and enough water to bring liquid level to about 1-1/2 cup. Stir. Put cover on and cook until rice is tender.

• glevinso
    Options
    For what its worth, check out the list of ingredients on "real" bacon and turkey bacon. If you have decent "real" bacon you will see only two, sometimes three ingredients. Pork, salt, sugar and sometimes nitrates for the cure.

The ingredient list for "turkey bacon" is a mile long
  • KeepTheFaith9
    KeepTheFaith9 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love to pig out on pork :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm restarting my lose weight goal, and have had many questions pop up in my miND, but the one that really pops right now is Is Pork Good Or Bad Meat? I have very little red meats in my diet, mostly seafood and chicken,

i like pork, so for me, its good!
  • glevinso
    Options
    I had two bacon, egg, and cheese toasted sandwiches with miracle whip last night. It was glorious. Only the cool people love bacon.

You had me until the miracle whip part. *gag*
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Pork is good if you've no dietary restriction for spiritual/religious/ethical reasons. Other than those valid reasons (which of course, would make pork bad), pork is as good as any other meat--it comes in lean cuts, fatty cuts, and various cured versions (bacon, sausage, etc.)--the same can be said for chicken, beef, lamb, etc.