Cutting out Alcohol

Options
Hey Everyone,

Whiskey, Wine and Beer have been absolute essentials in my life. After some tumultuous events in my life and realizing my dependence to alcohol, I decided three weeks ago to give it up altogether. So far I've noticed clearer skin, a smaller beer gut and overall betterment! Anyone else use cutting out alcohol to reduce caloric intake? If so, please give me some of your tips. I live in NYC and drinking alcohol is such a social norm and expected trait, it's hard to make the change.

Thanks!

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Good for you for admitting you had a problem and taking steps to change your life!

My best advice is to try to find some friends who don't drink, so you have some like-minded people on Team You!
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I have not taken that step yet....I may or may not have a problem. :s Kudos to you for deciding to give it up.
  • JKimm1
    JKimm1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!
  • Someonegreat37
    Someonegreat37 Posts: 23 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Congrats! I think about doing this a lot, but like you said, it's such an ingrained part of my social life as a 20-something city dweller that I haven't been able to yet.

Keep us posted on how it's going !
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Congrats for taking that step! That's huge. Try sipping on something fun but non-alcoholic when you're out (or even at home)! A lot of it might be the social aspect and the fact that for most people that first drink marks relax mode. I cut alcohol out of my diet during the week for fitness reasons but I found that really what I wanted was something other than water! I make cranberry-lime spritzers with soda water in a wine glass and it's just as satisfying.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I did exactly the same thing. I'm on Day 46 now. Feels good. One day at a time. Don't think about tomorrow or Friday.
  • whattheJKD
    whattheJKD Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Seltzer water over ice with a wedge of lime is a good substitute, and has 0 calories. If you still want to go to bars, it looks just like a cocktail. I drink it at home too though.
    You may find yourself craving sugar because you're used to getting so much via alcohol. Enjoy a small dessert, it's still a lot less calories than a few glasses of booze.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you need to do to win!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    NYC here too. I haven't cut it out completely but I naturally just can't drink as much anymore, and chose not to.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I still drink Alcohol, but would rather use my calories on Food! ;)
    The weekend is when i tend to have a few glasses of Prosecco (sparkling wine), which is around 125 cals per glass.
    A few of my friends alternate their drinks when they go out i.e they have an alcoholic drink, then a low calorie soft drink etc.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    The alcohol free life is awesome for me and my hubby. I've seen too much pain and misery from it. We drink diet tonic and are addicted to water. The buzz I get from exercise and a long hot bath after is amazing. We don't go out much, but when we do we drink something fizzy, like the tonic water (diet). And no yuck yuck feel in the morning. I used to feel I was left out and not part of the social situation, but I can remember the night before and not sticking my foot in my mouth :wink: Not saying all who drink act silly, but I've seen many whom are happy they don't remember the nights before. But, concerned with not knowing for sure what they said, did or who they went home with. Congrats and welcome to the real world! It's all so real and marvelous (with all it's bumps and bruises!) :smiley:
    Also....
    d2rtjvkkk8p6.gif
    Again, congrats on a fresh life!!!

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I did exactly the same thing. I'm on Day 46 now. Feels good. One day at a time. Don't think about tomorrow or Friday.

One day at a time is the best advice I can offer! I'm going on week 14 of no alcohol and I don't make goals. I wake up and say I'm not going to drink today and it feels great!! I've noticed my overall appearance had approved and I feel like I have so much more energy and I'm definitely happier without it so I try to focus on how improved my life has become without it. I'm also in my twenties (almost thirties :# ) and it's hard since it really is such a social thing but I have fun and sip on water or gingerale!
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I surround myself with friends with similar interests and common goals. I use to have friends who drank regularly which made me want to drink with them. I now have friends who are more into fitness and nutrition. Their "Happy Hour" consists of talking about farm fresh eggs and hanging out with me at the gym :)
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I used to drink beer every night after work. Since cutting down I sleep better, feel better when I wake up in the morning, and it has helped me lose weight. I love the way I feel when I don't drink.
  • stphnydr89
    stphnydr89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congratulation! I myself had a problem with alcohol. It was to the point that I had to have a few glasses -ok- a bottle of wine a night. I still ate clean and worked out, but I couldn't get the results I wanted, so I decided last month to cut it out , and I feel amazing! I've lost ten pounds in one month, my skin has cleared up, I have more energy to push myself even further at the gym, my mood is better, and I'm saving a lot of money. It's insanely hard the first week, but you stop thinking about alcohol the second week. Good luck girl!
  • GA_belle
    GA_belle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a drinker and only have the occasional glass of wine. I first stopped because of a medication I was on, but even after I didn't take that medicine anymore I noticed I just had no longer had the desire to drink. No one comments anymore when everyone is drinking but me - it just becomes normal after awhile. Probably doesn't work in NYC but I always offer to be the designated driver. Everyone loves me for it. My husband goes to lots of business dinners and functions where most everyone is drinking. He limits himself to one or two and then switches to seltzer or tonic water.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    whattheJKD wrote: »
    Seltzer water over ice with a wedge of lime is a good substitute, and has 0 calories. If you still want to go to bars, it looks just like a cocktail. I drink it at home too though.
    You may find yourself craving sugar because you're used to getting so much via alcohol. Enjoy a small dessert, it's still a lot less calories than a few glasses of booze.

This, or a virgin mojito is still exceptionally delicious, if you can afford the sugar calories!