Jillian Michaels 30 day shred workout

Options
I just started this so this is day 1. Im just curous to know if anyone could not do the whole level 1 and if not how long it took you to get that far. I found i had to keep taking quick little breaks and that at the most i could only do about 60 to 70%. Up intil i started this a little over a week ago i have not had much exercise in my daily life other then housework and my job. Just wondering if i should push myself harder or is it ok to take my time to get that far

Replies

• mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. You will get better and be so proud of yourself when you do! :flowerforyou:
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    I found the workout to be difficult and I would pause for a water break and then start again. I did finish the whole video but it took a little longer because of the added breaks. She doesn't leave any room for water / rest.

I would suggest doing whatever you are comfortable with. If you need a short break then take one. You do not need to complete the program in 30 days. It may take you longer if you are not comfortable with the next level. Go at your own pace and you'll accomplish great things!
  • dnpamorgan
    dnpamorgan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. I'm on level 2 and I need to take breaks also. You will start to notice that you're able to do more as time goes on.
  • harpcason
    harpcason Posts: 40
    Options
    I did it and I enjoyed it. When I first started it was difficult and I just pushed myself. I know that she says if you need to, you can stop for 5 seconds, I did 10 seconds, lol. Remember, this is more than what you were doing. :) Good luck.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I disagree with one of the posts . . . part of this jorney is "getting out of your comfort zone" . . . you need to do a bit above what you feel "comfortable" with.
    For exercise to be effective it actually needs to get to that place that is a bit uncomfortable. At first this is a bit unsettling until you realize how great you feel afterwards . . . and ongoing how much better and stronger you feel.

I thought I was going to die . . . but other than a couple of times to sip some water I pushed myself to complete the 30 day shred each day without stopping. Not counting the fairly easy warmup it is ONLY 20 minutes in total . . . I figured that I could stand to be uncomfortable for that short duration.

You need to challenge your body, it is the only way to effectively do this program . . . now in saying that I certainly did not complete the program in 30 days as I was over 200 pounds when I started. Took me closer to 60 days.

You can do it . . . get ready to amaze yourself!!!!
  • bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    When I first first started, I HATED Jillian with a passion. But it gets better, trust me. I took millions of breaks when I first started 30DS and screw that 5 second rule, if I can't breathe I can't breathe, soon as I catch my breath I would be right back in there. But do push yourself, you'll thank yourself later. Soon as you feel level 1 is getting easy, move into level 2. This is actually my favorite level. Again, at first, you will hate it, but learn to love it as time progresses. Take breaks as often as YOU need to, you will get stronger, your endurance will build up, don't rush anything and I for one dont do 30 DS 30 days in a row, some people do, but I like to give my muscles time to recover because they WILL be tight a day or so after. Mix in some cardio too, you'll do fine.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am on day 8 of level 1 an although I made it through the whole thing, I was huffing and puffing the entire time. She doesn't give time for breaks for water so when she transitions from one move to the next, I make sure I keep my water bottle near so I can grab a quick swig in time to start the next move. It's getting easier and I'm not sore anymore so I think I need to bump up to level 2 now. The more you do it, the easier it gets, promise!
  • Nottm1984
    Nottm1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 10 and up until the last two workouts I had to pause the dvd for a 10 second sit down then press play and continue. It felt so good on day 8 when I just pushed through the pain and got through it without stopping (my most difficult bit is the first set of cardio-jumping jacks/skipping rope for 2 mins) I've noticed I'm getting more flexible and it feels good to get through it all. I agree though, it's meant to be tough as it's 20 minutes of "intensity" as Jillian puts it! Just keep thinking it's only 20minutes and the more parts of it you've done, the closer you are to finishing the workout! Good luck. :-) I'm on to level two tomorrow......