How to lose Water Weight.

Options
I retain too much water... so much that when I push on my lower leg it leaves a dent. I don't eat too much sodium and I drink plenty of fluids. My doctor is not concerned about this at all. She says it happens with age and I should just keep doing what I am doing. However, I am not happy when I get on a scale and can't get my true weight. I am sure someone here must know how to get rid of water weight. Please help.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    My suggestion is to keep track of your sodium at the MFP tool, section Food. I do not add Salt to my food, just use natural herbs and spices in my cooking. I love Asian food so I use Soy sauce low sodium version (green color label) sparingly. Drinks lots of water.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • DeannaSofia886
    DeannaSofia886 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have this problem and I always thought I wasnt eating alot of sodium but when I started tracking it - I realized I really was.
  • JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've recently been having this issue also. It seems the older I get, the easier it is for my body to retain fluid. I don't track it but I'm sure I'm eating and drinking the wrong things. That and exercise can do it also. I know my muscles retain fluid after a good beating!
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I do too. Have since I was in my 20's. I wake up in the morning and my hands are so puffy I can't make a fist and have to retie my shoes mid day because my feet as swollen in the mornings. My doc put me on a light diuretic (water pill). I helps but is not a cure. The only thing that makes it go away is diet. Eating clean, unprocessed, low sodium foods. I struggle with that...I like my pizza, salted popcorn and burgers. Also diet pop makes me retain a lot of water as well. Drinking lots of water and green tea helps to make it go down. There is something in the artificial sweeteners that makes it worse. For me anyway.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I have water weight in my legs but it's due to crappy circulation (varicose veins). I don't know of anything that will make the swelling/retention go down/away. I eat moderate sodium (<2000 mg) and drink a lot of water (4-5L) I wore compression stockings but stopped because of the pain they caused.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I look back at my diary and see I am usually way under on my sodium however I didn't take diet soda into consideration because I never tracked it. Perhaps that is the problem! I will start tracking it to see if that puts me over my limit.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Your weight with the water is your "true weight". The human body is 60-80% water.

If you are feeling bloated and puffy all the time, that could be a medical issue. But since your doctor isn't concerned and you already said you don't eat too much sodium, it's probably not an issue.

Just log your weight with the water. Then focus on directional, not absolute, weight loss.