Calorie Burn on Fitness Blender Workouts

Options
These workouts always give a range... For example my 27 minute Kickboxing + HIIT video this morning was 200-375. My HRM put me at 353, which I know is too high (I'm a 5'4" female), although it was beeping away when I was doing those mountain climbers!

I tend to just log the low range number to be on the safe side.

Can others share their practice on these?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Any calorie burn (or calorie intake) is going to be an estimate. Estimates have a ton of assumptions. You’re right to believe you’re probably not meeting all of them and by doing that, you’re taking a conservative approach (good on you). Go a few weeks and if you’re not achieving the results you expected (losing too fast, losing too slow), tweak your estimates and charge on.
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks @AllanMisner, that's the plan I'll stick with. :) Perhaps it will negate any underestimating I may be doing in the calorie department.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm female too, 5'6", 140lbs., and I always log the lowest weight or close to it (for example, yesterday I added some hand weights to parts of a body-weight routine, so I logged maybe an extra 30 calories over their lowest estimate). I think their estimates are probably pretty good (they think that about 90% of the population would fall in their range), and by logging their low number and usually eating most or all of them back, I have been losing weight. Good luck!
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I noticed on the 3 I have done that my HRM records lower than the guides. I did one of the 1000 calorie workouts over the weekend and only reached 590 (lower end guide was around 700)

Not sure about the shorter videos though....I'll be doing those this weekend so I'll see
  • jetortola
    Options
    No way I could survive a 1000 calorie workout -- nice work @Becky_charles29!!

Yeah, I don't usually wear the HRM for the strength workouts, even when blended with HIIT, as I know that the strength sections can throw it off -- but as today was all cardio I thought I'd give it a shot.

My HRM also records really high calories burned when I'm on my elliptical (close to even what my elliptical says I've burned, so I know its bogus, lol)... so I usually use the MFP count for that as its much lower (like 200 calories for 20 minutes of intervals, as opposed to 373 on my HRM).
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I only just managed it haha! I do love the workouts on there though...the variety is great so regardless of the calorie counts....it's still a winner
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Anything interval-y is going to throw an HRM off completely - and the worse shape you're in, the more it'll throw it off.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I wore a Body Media Fit band for about 6 months last year, and every time I did a Fitness Blender video it put me smack in the middle of the estimated burn. Now that I no longer wear the band I keep estimating the middle number (my 8th grader informs me that it's called the "mean," thank you very much) and that seems to work out right for me.
  • jetortola
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Anything interval-y is going to throw an HRM off completely - and the worse shape you're in, the more it'll throw it off.

Well there is my explanation of why my HRM was so high!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I log most exercise at 5 cals/minute to be safe.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do these workouts all the time and just go with the number in the middle. Also HRM do not calculate when you are doing weights so they are not very accurate for that aspect at all. I usually wear my HRM for Cardio like walking and if I do wear it on a video that has weights to I figure it is more. Weight cal burn lasts longer then cardio too so remember that.