Fat protein carbs for weight loss

Options
is a ratio of 30% fat,30% protein and 40% carbs good for a healthy weight loss?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As long as you are at a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

ETA: 30:30:40 is a pretty well balanced goal, but calories are the most important factor for weight loss.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    macros aren't for weight loss they are for nutrition...calorie deficit is for weight loss.

And for that macros widely vary...some people do low carb/high fat, some do just carb loading with low fat...others are more balanced.
  • danicristina2015
    danicristina2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do watch my calorie intake but i also want to have the right nutrition. Thank you!
  • danicristina2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    macros aren't for weight loss they are for nutrition...calorie deficit is for weight loss.

And for that macros widely vary...some people do low carb/high fat, some do just carb loading with low fat...others are more balanced.
    I think they're important for weight loss/ muscle gain. If you get them right you'll reach your physique goals quicker and more painlessly than if you ignore them.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I think they're important for weight loss/ muscle gain. If you get them right you'll reach your physique goals quicker and more painlessly than if you ignore them.

No, there is no "right" or magical macro split that will make you lose more weight or put on more muscle.

Caloric deficit for weight loss, surplus for weight gain. Minimum protein goals are .6g-.8g/lbs. In a deficit while lifting, some argue the minimum protein intake should be closer to .8g-1g/lbs to spare muscle. Minimum fat goals .3g-.4g/lbs. Fill the rest in with carbs. There is nothing magical about a 30/30/40 split.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I have mine set the same as you describe because I weight lift and run, and eating that ratio of protein and fats keeps me pretty full.

Macro balance is for nutrition and satiety, calories in/calories out is for weight loss.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

How are they important for weight loss?

If you eat a certain macro balance, will you automatically lose weight and gain muscle?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Eating the right macros (more accurately, in the right range of macros) isn't enough to give you muscle gain.
  • danicristina2015
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

No, there is no "right" or magical macro split that will make you lose more weight or put on more muscle.

Caloric deficit for weight loss, surplus for weight gain. Minimum protein goals are .6g-.8g/lbs. In a deficit while lifting, some argue the minimum protein intake should be closer to .8g-1g/lbs to spare muscle. Minimum fat goals .3g-.4g/lbs. Fill the rest in with carbs. There is nothing magical about a 30/30/40 split.
    You're right! Just in general, doesn't have to be 100% accurate. There is a macro chart on here along with your calories intake, and I realised how much carbs I was having daily while having caloric deficit. So I'm paying more attention to my nutrition! That's all! Thanks
  • danicristina2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Eating the right macros (more accurately, in the right range of macros) isn't enough to give you muscle gain.
    I know,I just said it helps
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

You won't gain muscle at a deficit...unless you are obese or very new to lifting.

But again they aren't for weight loss they are for nutrition. I watch mine carefully as I lift so I know how important they are.

Protein is at 25% based on my appx BF%...so trust me I don't ignore them but I also know they don't aid in my weight loss they help heal my muscle from lifting which means most of the weight I lose is fat...notice I said MOST.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Then how about giving us some context, to make your question meaningful? :smile: How much do you need to lose? What is your activity profile like? Trigger foods? Etc etc etc.

Without details, it is impossible to do anything but guess.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Mine are 15/20/65.....carbs/protien/fat. I am eating at a deficit and the weight is melting off. 12.4 pounds in 4 weeks.
  • danicristina2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

How are they important for weight loss?

If you eat a certain macro balance, will you automatically lose weight and gain muscle?
    Not at all. My point didn't come across right and it was too vague.If 80% of your diet is minimally processed, micronutrient dense food and the rest is filled with these so called foods that are considered "bad", and you follow your calorie intake, then yes! On the pyramid, calories are first, and second comes macros+ fibre. So I assume they play an important part in your diet. But it's probably too much to care about all that! What works for me may not work for everyone and we should all have a "diet" we can follow all our life. I was just curious about macros, that's all!
  • danicristina2015
    Options

SLLRunner wrote: »

I have mine set the same as you describe because I weight lift and run, and eating that ratio of protein and fats keeps me pretty full.

Macro balance is for nutrition and satiety, calories in/calories out is for weight loss.
    Yes you're right! This ratio keeps me full and I do cardio a lot! Sorry this got all messed up lol
  • danicristina2015
    Options

Then how about giving us some context, to make your question meaningful? :smile: How much do you need to lose? What is your activity profile like? Trigger foods? Etc etc etc.

Without details, it is impossible to do anything but guess.

I replied to someone what I meant to say! This question went down the wrong way lol. I'm 23 5'9 ft, 157 lbs and my goal is 135. I put on weight the last year and I try to get back to that weight again! I had a bad nutrition even though I watched my calorie intake. I have a high metabolism but eating the "good" food helps too. I do 30min cardio and about 20 mins strength training 3 times and a week and I walk a lot every day. I'm pretty new here and just recently started doing what I'm preaching lol
  • danicristina2015
    Options
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    Mine are 15/20/65.....carbs/protien/fat. I am eating at a deficit and the weight is melting off. 12.4 pounds in 4 weeks.
    I'm very happy for you! :smile:

• karabear2987
    karabear2987 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am currently follow macros which are monitored by a trainer. I am doing this to lose weight and keep the weight off, as well as exercising and gaining more muscle. I am not doing this to bulk up, just to lose the weight. So far I have had some success. I have been following this for about the past 3 weeks. I have lost 7lbs which I have been able to keep off. I have also started to notice that my body is started to look more defined which is also helpful when losing weight. I suggest finding someone, like I said I use and online trainer- he sets up what macros I eat on what days and provides me with exercises that I should complete on what days. Good luck!
  • brocej
    brocej Posts: 24 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I eat 40p/30c/30f, ratios determined by the following calculations.

1.2g protein per lb of lean body mass (total weight - fat weight)
    0.4g fat per lb of lean body mass
    Rest of calories from carbs

Total calories to eat daily = (BMR * 1.35) * 0.75

Total calories are of course key, but macros are the second thing to get right. Too little protein and no strength straining and your body won't retain muscle whilst cutting. Plus they have the highest thermogenic effect of all the macros, meaning if you eat 100 calories of protein, only 80-75 reach your body as energy (rest are used up digesting them). Compare this to carbs, where 95-85 of the calories can be put to use.

Fats are essential for health, help me concentrate, make food taste great.

The only macro the body could (but obviously you should provide it with some) do without is carbs, hence why no number is provided for them, I just eat whatever I need to make up my total daily calorie goal.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    brocej wrote: »
    I eat 40p/30c/30f, ratios determined by the following calculations.

1.2g protein per lb of lean body mass (total weight - fat weight)
    0.4g fat per lb of lean body mass
    Rest of calories from carbs

Total calories to eat daily = (BMR * 1.35) * 0.75

Total calories are of course key, but macros are the second thing to get right. Too little protein and no strength straining and your body won't retain muscle whilst cutting. Plus they have the highest thermogenic effect of all the macros, meaning if you eat 100 calories of protein, only 80-75 reach your body as energy (rest are used up digesting them). Compare this to carbs, where 95-85 of the calories can be put to use.

Fats are essential for health, help me concentrate, make food taste great.

The only macro the body could (but obviously you should provide it with some) do without is carbs, hence why no number is provided for them, I just eat whatever I need to make up my total daily calorie goal.

TEFF plays little role in overall weight loss...