5:2 diet advice and success stories please

Options
Hi, im starting the 5:2 this week, x2 days of 500 cals and x5 days off 1600 calories I’ve worked out with exercise combined my daily average will be around 1,100.
I used to lose around 3lbs a week on a 1,200 calorie day diet so I’m hoping I get the same results as ive seen a lot of people lose 1lb a week.
Success stories would be grateful and weekly losses 

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    1,100 calories per day (excluding the 'fasting' days) is too little. The minimum for a female is 1,200 calories per day, and even then I think it is not enough.

OP, what are your stats? I'm sure you could eat more and still lose a reasonable amount of weight per week..
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Plan well for those 500 calorie days. With a good plan, you won't feel like you're starving.

I did it for a little bit, but I found myself totally gorging on the maintenance days. I decided it wasn't for me.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The 5:2 diet encourages you to eat normally for 5 days and fast for 2 days. If you do what you plan to do... You aren't eating normally on your 5 none fasting days. 1100 calories is not healthy when two days a week you will only be eating 500 cals. 5:2 gives you a 3000 calorie weekly deficit. You should eat your TDEE on the other five days.

:)
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think she means average of all 7 days?

There's another thread here with 5:2 subject. I'll comment OP name and hope she sees it brought up to the top of forum.

There's a link to the MFP 5:2 group in that thread
  • jodes18
    jodes18 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes i mean avarage for the full seven says ive said the avarange daily intake full the full week is 1100 a day thats minus in my exercise and my TDEE of 1500 a day and 500 on fast days ive added the cals and minus the exercise thanks Joanne ive joined that group
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    1100 is still not enough though really even over 7 days. Not if you are exercising. :)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    jodes18 wrote: »
    Yes i mean avarage for the full seven says ive said the avarange daily intake full the full week is 1100 a day thats minus in my exercise and my TDEE of 1500 a day and 500 on fast days ive added the cals and minus the exercise thanks Joanne ive joined that group

As I said, 1,100 is still not enough.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    The 5:2 diet encourages you to eat normally for 5 days and fast for 2 days. If you do what you plan to do... You aren't eating normally on your 5 none fasting days. 1100 calories is not healthy when two days a week you will only be eating 500 cals. 5:2 gives you a 3000 calorie weekly deficit. You should eat your TDEE on the other five days.

:)

This^

OP - you are doing a low calorie zig-zag diet....not 5:2

Please research your TDEE (maintenance calories)....you will see how low 1,100 really is.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jodes18 wrote: »

MFP lowest default minimum is 1200 (before exercise...MFP adds them back). So if you are given 1200 and exercise for 250...MFP wants you to eat 1450. This 1200 is a one-size-fits-all because it's a default. 1200 is appropriate for some women.....very petite seniors.

At 21 years old, your TDEE must be more than 1500. TDEE is different than MFP in that it includes exercise up front. Perhaps your BMR is 1500.