Teachers and Drinking Water

Options
Are there any teachers out here? How do you manage to drink your daily recommended amount of water? I struggle with this because I can't just run to the bathroom whenever I need. Any advice on how you are getting your water in would be great!!!

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about this!

I'm lucky in that I can pretty much use the restroom whenever I need to at work (which is about every 30 minutes with as much as I drink). But there are a lot of jobs where this isn't an option: Police officer, security guard, teacher, etc...
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    You develop strong muscles bc you hold it and hold it.
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    You develop strong muscles bc you hold it and hold it.

Isn't that bad for your body?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    yeah it is bad. That leads to UTIs. I would just say.... drink only what is feasible during the day then drink more at home in the evening!
  • shanners85
    shanners85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly needing to use the washroom. There's been a time or two when I've needed to ask someone to watch my class while I run quickly to the washroom (luckily it is just across the hall) but now that my body is getting used to the water, I don't pee as often.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm not teaching at the moment but have taught for the last several years. My classroom was usually up 2 flights of stairs and across a building to a washroom, and I often had to travel to a different campus during break and lunch (I also had 3 days with a full teaching day... it's not surprising that I'm not teaching now lol). I would often purposefully not drink anything all day because I simply did not have time to pee.

Other than what gothchiq said, I don't have much advice to give. I can, however, express my sympathies to you as it is a tough situation!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Unless you are thirsty all the time or have other signs of dehydration, you are probably getting as much water as you need already.
  • jacqueline0821
    Options
    There are no teachers near my classroom to "watch" my kids for a quick moment. The bathroom is all the way at the front of the building. I teach 2nd graders so they can not be left alone. When I taught middle school I was able to leave them during warm up and run to the bathroom.
  • shanners85
    shanners85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it was just the first week or so that I either had to hold it to a break (I was going every single break, usually multiple times) and then my body regulated so I was going at the breaks and not doing the "pee dance" while I was teaching.

I think I've asked someone to keep an eye on my class two or three times during my career - once was for a lady emergency so that cannot be helped. I teach 1st grade.
  • MLouis1
    MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky I can run when I need to, but I do tend to drink more water at end of day.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    MLouis1 wrote: »
    I'm lucky I can run when I need to, but I do tend to drink more water at end of day.

Then how do you avoid waking up four times in the night to pee?

On evenings that I run, I tend to drink a lot of water when I get home because I'm thirsty. And then I have to get up no less than twice in the middle of the night.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    MLouis1 wrote: »

Then how do you avoid waking up four times in the night to pee?

On evenings that I run, I tend to drink a lot of water when I get home because I'm thirsty. And then I have to get up no less than twice in the middle of the night.

Are you getting enough salt?
  • jacqueline0821
    Options
    Since I have started back up and have been trying to drink more water I am constantly up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. My sleep is terrible.
  • lilackisses
    lilackisses Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I drink water first thing in the morning so I go right before I leave the house and then I usually hold off until lunch or the end of my school day. I think that you mostly train your body by creating habits. At least I don't usually get the urge while in class.
  • Mountaingirl33
    Mountaingirl33 Posts: 80 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I carry a 64 oz water bottle and try to do most of my drinking in the morning before lunch. It helps both with my vocal health and to keep me from having to pee all hours of the night. Yes good bladder muscles are in order.
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and drink 10 cups (5 bottles) of water throughout the day .... your body does get used to it as you go .... I optimize my "breaks" right before kids come in, during resource class, lunch, etc. I understand though-- not easy!
  • dramaTeach20
    dramaTeach20 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do not drink enough when I teach fulltime. It's too hard leaving my classroom alone. What I started drinking 4 cups every morning before I left then 2 more at least lunch and prep hours
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm a retired South Florida teacher (high school) and used the facilities between each class change, we had 4 minutes; especially at the end of my career. I'd lock the classroom door, race to the restroom and back in that time because one cannot leave the kiddos unattended in a classroom.

The inability to use the restroom when needed is one of the most inhumane aspects of teaching. LOL.

Mind you, I have no bladder problems, however between the cold 68 degree classroom (locked thermostat) and sipping water to stay hydrated encouraged me to "safety pee" almost every 55 minute class period. Hated it! I drank most of my water between 3:00pm - 7pm.

I feel your pain.
  • jacqueline0821
    Options
    chesves wrote: »
    I'm a teacher and drink 10 cups (5 bottles) of water throughout the day .... your body does get used to it as you go .... I optimize my "breaks" right before kids come in, during resource class, lunch, etc. I understand though-- not easy!

Good to know that it is possible.
  • 2legoboys
    2legoboys Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I put a full water bottle in my car in the morning and drink it on the way home and into the evening. That helps. During the day I sip green tea-2-3 cups. That I'm used to.