Smoking Vs stamina

Options

Replies

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I'm a regualer smoker but I do exercise regularly from last 20 days.
    What I want to ask is there a possible way to quit smoking and how? Because it's affecting my stamina.
    Share your experiences ..

Hi mate, get on the E-Cigs. I quit smoking (20 Marlborough a day) from the very first E cig I had. I have not smoked in two years and enjoy vaping. Nicotine is highly addictive, but not carcinogenic. It is a stimulant though (like coffee) so keep your eye on your blood pressure. I hope this helps.
  • SexyManTrackingCalories
    SexyManTrackingCalories Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Honestly you just have to do one thing which is... Want to quit. When I say want I mean you really deep down inside want to. Look at your situation from a longevity perspective. The longer it takes you to quit the longer you have to wait to reach your goals. Time never stops ticking ether as we all know. So work on it. Make the decision, stick with it, and get ready for a life changing experience in a way of only positive outcomes coming from your decision to quit.

Quick reasons to quit:
    1) Save money
    2) Smell normal
    3) No more nasty breath
    4) Taste buds will come back
    5) Your clothes/car/body will not smell disgusting anymore
    6) Feel better about yourself
    7) Build self determination
    8) Know that since the minute you quit you become healthier inside/out
    9) Say hello to new personal records in the gym
    10) Reread all reasons and honestly just quit
    :smile:
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I joined a company sponsered "Quit for life" program...on the net and it has taken me 18m but I am now smoke free. It was taking one away a day for me...and then I would re laps. Mini quits etc. I am now smoke free.
  • ShayanKhan2015
    ShayanKhan2015 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A bundle of thanx for your valuable input
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    A bundle of thanx for your valuable input

Your welcome, now kick back with a fat Cuban cigar and ponder your next move.
  • ShayanKhan2015
    Options
    Love for you and happy that you quit each response is valuable and I'm learning from you fellows ...
    ewhsweets wrote: »
    There's always a way to quit! I smoked for a long time, even as a college track athelete. When you smoke your heart rate is higher when you workout. I quit when I found out I was pregnant and when I went back to my normal workouts I was AMAZED at how great it felt to really breathe...my husband stopped snoring when he quit.

Be prepared for a challenge though, quitting (if you've smoked for along time) brings with it mood swings, cravings, drastic slowing of the metabolism (due to lower heart rate) and you might notice a cough that develops. The chemical dependency only lasts about a week though and the rest is all in your head!

Use working out to assist you as you quit. If you crave a pib and start getting cranky do 10 push-ups, if you are starving an hour after dinner, dont overeat, do 25 crunches.

Good luck to you!

• natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I went from 20 a day to cold turkey around 5 weeks ago, doesn't even feel like I've ever been a smoker. You can do it.
  • avrobin03
    avrobin03 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 13 years, I was at a pack a day.. I wanted to quit for the same exact reason you do. One day I just decided I was done - for that day- and I took it day by day May 16th will be 3 years. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed smoking, and the cravings still hit me sometimes (although very rare now), but it's so incredibly nice not to be a slave to the cigarette. Good luck!! I know you can do it!! The first couple days are the hardest..
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Look for supportive websites, there are also apps you can download on your phone and numbers you can call for support (in the USA). I quit for the same reason. Was too hard to play basketball when I couldn't catch my breath running down the court. Good luck, do it, it will be the hardest thing you ever do, but you will never regret it!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey. Its really hard to run and do boot camp style workouts when smoking. I puked running the stadium one day and that was it. It has been year and I have not looked back. In fact the smell of it now makes me sick.
  • ShayanKhan2015
    Options
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    I went from 20 a day to cold turkey around 5 weeks ago, doesn't even feel like I've ever been a smoker. You can do it.
    Thanx dear
  • jjuravinski
    jjuravinski Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you really can't do it, start vaping. I quit last year in January for about 6 months, broke down in July and had one cigarette, and it was all down hill from there. Then in October of 2014 I took up vaping and have smoked very few cigarettes since (not because I was craving or anything, just in social situations where they have been around). With that said, I much prefer the taste of vaping to smoking. And it does wonders for your ling capacity. A lot cheaper too. Good luck to you!
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I decided to quit when I decided I wanted to train to run a marathon. I felt it was necessary. Also, my employer was taking $40 per month out of my paycheck because I was a smoker. That played a VERY small part in my decision. I just REALLY wanted to run a marathon. I didn't consider myself a heavy smoker, I smoked when I drank. Which now looking back, could be A LOT. A happy hour on a Friday, I could smoke a whole damn pack. I enjoyed drinking beer & lighting one up. Anyway, I signed up for this smoke free text messaging for support. It worked for me. I have been smoke free since last July. I can't say that I don't ever miss it. I think that is just the rebel in me, if that makes any sense. Good luck to you.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 4 years, 1 month and 10 days ago. It sucks for the first 1-2 weeks, no way around that. My husband quit cold turkey as well 3 months before me. It is possible.
  • ShayanKhan2015
    Options
    Just smoked last one so from now I'm giving a try possibly the best one .
    The best thing about this thread people are helping and motivating me and other smokers and love their stories and commitment ..
  • ShayanKhan2015
    Options
    4 hours now I didn't smoke another one but a lot of craving did some squats to keep involve in something else ..
  • SexyManTrackingCalories
    Options
    Don't smoke!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    How many times did I TRY to quit? At least two hundred or more using various "quit smoking" crutches. How many times did I DECIDE to quit? Once. Without a single crutch except for determination. And it worked. That was eleven years ago after 31 years of smoking two to three packs a day. Best thing I ever did. Cold turkey and determination are the only way.
  • HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I took Wellbutrin for about 3 months, I don't know if it was the drug, or if I was just finally ready to quit. But it worked. I think the most important thing is to allow yourself to fail... Just get back on the wagon. I've been smoke free for about 3 years now.
  • Wandering_1
    Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes there absolutely is. It will be 2 years on June 22nd for me. I honestly thought it wouldn't last but here I am. I think what helped me be so successful and stay quit this time around was WANTING to quit. Nobody was telling me to quit. Who wants to do what people are telling you to do right?

I also used the patch and gum. I knew it didn't work for some people but I figured I'd try it anyway. It worked. I used both at the same time. Just make sure you follow directions and you'll be fine. I also chewed straws. Big time. I mauled them. But it worked too! Go to quitplan.com. They will send you free patches to start.

Support is imperative. So is MFP. Never give up. There are people who care and want to help you be successful.

You can do it!