Macro Counting

Options
Help me! I've been counting my macros for some time now, but have recently ran into some confusion. I don't know whether to use the pre or post cooked weight of foods such as chicken and salmon. I've heard both opinions. The majority of "bodybuilders" including mr Olympia use post cooked weight, but isn't the only thing chicken and such loses is water when you cook it? So shouldn't a 4oz piece of raw chicken have the same protein/calories as it does after it's cooked when it's 3oz? The reason why I need to know is because I don't know if I'm getting too much protein/calories/carbs or too little! Help!

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I've always used the pre-cooked weight. It's easier, especially when doing a stir fry or casserole. The only macro that I think would be majorly affected is the fat macro. But I'm in to hear what others think.
  • paultucker1007
    paultucker1007 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Er, if you weigh it before you cook it, use the pre-cooked weight; if you weight after you cook it, use the post-cooked weight.

Next up; quantum chromodynamics
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I've always used the pre-cooked weight. It's easier, especially when doing a stir fry or casserole. The only macro that I think would be majorly affected is the fat macro. But I'm in to hear what others think.

I agree with Paige. I always do precooked **when** I can. But I'll use post-cooked and recalculate if that's my only option.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would say whatever you pick, be consistent with it. USDA website has info both cooked and raw so you can accurately track. I weigh my food cooked but I know others do it differently.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Precooked weight is the most accurate. Post cooked weight can vary depending on how it is cooked and how much water has been cooked out. Some meats will have a variation as far as how much fat is cooked out, but the protein will remain the same.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Er, if you weigh it before you cook it, use the pre-cooked weight; if you weight after you cook it, use the post-cooked weight.

Next up; quantum chromodynamics

I would say whatever you pick, be consistent with it. USDA website has info both cooked and raw so you can accurately track. I weigh my food cooked but I know others do it differently.

Agree with both. I weigh cooked and raw, use correct nutritional info.