Hypothyroid & Weight/Fat Loss

kkauz42
kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello! I'm curious to see what has worked for others with hypothyroidism as far as weight loss/fat loss goes. I am not really interested in trying paleo just yet but I know that it has worked for a lot of people!

A little about me. I am hypothyroid and hashi's and autoimmune has been ruled out.
I'm almost 30
I'm on armour so I get some T3.
I am follow Lee Labrada's 12 week trainer (weights and HIIT).

I am more concerned about being smaller(inches) rather than the # on the scale. I do have weight to lose and I know it will take time which I am 100% ok with!

So what has worked for you with weight/fat loss?? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    If you have Hashi's, then you are autoimmune, so I'm confused by your post :)

A calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight. Some people with hypothyroid do better with some kind of carb moderation whether it's from just cutting back on them (I personally moderate mine, and have customized my macro settings in my MFP diary to reflect this), going low-carb, or doing paleo.

Other hypo-t people are fine eating carbs at a level of their own preference. Whatever works best for you and fuels your gym performance.

If you're interested in the overall LOOK of your body when the weight comes off, that really has nothing to do much with your thyroid, but strength training will probably be your best friend there... so you're already on that. When you're done your 12 week program, look into a progressive lifting program with heavy weights. (I'm still working up to starting this myself.)
  • kkauz42
    Thanks! The Labrada program is a transformation program and requires heavy lifting.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm only hypo. No hashi or autoimmune.
  • purplenails
    purplenails Posts: 34 Member
    Following
  • PeachyCarol
    kkauz42 wrote: »
    Thanks! The Labrada program is a transformation program and requires heavy lifting.

Gotcha! Well then you're good to go! Just... I'll pass this along, because it seems that I end up mentioning it in EVERY thyroid thread. Make sure you have a doctor who treats you by your symptoms, not by your numbers.

There's a range of normal, and everyone seems to have a sweet spot within that range. You might test out to be normal once you're corrected, but still not feel great. It's important to have a doctor who knows and understands this and will correct you until you FEEL well. I'll use myself as an example. I could have a test where my TSH comes back reading 2.8. Normal, right? I'd still feel horrible then. I know, through years of experience, that I need to be corrected down to 1.2 or lower to feel healthy.

I also need to be corrected that low to lose weight like a normal person does :)

Other than that, the general advice for anyone on these boards applies. Get a food scale. Weigh all your solid foods. Measure all your liquids. Confirm that you're selecting accurate data base entries with an independent web site like the USDA or nutritiondata.self.com.

If you log accurately, exercise, and are on the right dose of medication, your weight loss should progress smoothly.

• kkauz42

Gotcha! Well then you're good to go! Just... I'll pass this along, because it seems that I end up mentioning it in EVERY thyroid thread. Make sure you have a doctor who treats you by your symptoms, not by your numbers.

There's a range of normal, and everyone seems to have a sweet spot within that range. You might test out to be normal once you're corrected, but still not feel great. It's important to have a doctor who knows and understands this and will correct you until you FEEL well. I'll use myself as an example. I could have a test where my TSH comes back reading 2.8. Normal, right? I'd still feel horrible then. I know, through years of experience, that I need to be corrected down to 1.2 or lower to feel healthy.

I also need to be corrected that low to lose weight like a normal person does :)

Other than that, the general advice for anyone on these boards applies. Get a food scale. Weigh all your solid foods. Measure all your liquids. Confirm that you're selecting accurate data base entries with an independent web site like the USDA or nutritiondata.self.com.

If you log accurately, exercise, and are on the right dose of medication, your weight loss should progress smoothly.

I have a physical with my PCP in about 2 weeks. I will probably speak with him and request more than TSH be tested. I have a goiter and I have felt it in my throat a lot lately so I wonder if something is off. I have been feeling fine but the weight doesn't budge sometimes.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015

I have a physical with my PCP in about 2 weeks. I will probably speak with him and request more than TSH be tested. I have a goiter and I have felt it in my throat a lot lately so I wonder if something is off. I have been feeling fine but the weight doesn't budge sometimes.

Well, even if you're doing everything right, weight not budging is a normal part of the process sometimes. This isn't a linear thing, and stuff like monthly hormonal fluctuations, a salty meal, or progress with weights in the gym can add a few pounds to the scale for a couple of days. These are all just causes of temporary fluid retention, and they always pass.

• kkauz42

Well, even if you're doing everything right, weight not budging is a normal part of the process sometimes. This isn't a linear thing, and stuff like monthly hormonal fluctuations, a salty meal, or progress with weights in the gym can add a few pounds to the scale for a couple of days. These are all just causes of temporary fluid retention, and they always pass.

Very true! A while back I was following a program and only lost 5lbs but lost a lot of inches. I am definitely ok with that! I am definitely more focused than in the past thanks to leaving an unhealthy relationship so I think everything will start to move soon assuming my levels are adequate!
  • Cking1162
    Cking1162 Posts: 65 Member
    Hi there! I am hypo as well (but I have Hashi's)....it has been a roller coaster ride with my levels but I am feeling pretty good right now taking Synthroid and Cytomel combination. It is a lot harder to lose weight but I know that my levels have never been in the optimal range so maybe that will get easier.
    Right now, I am staying at 1200 cal/day but I have gone over on occasion. But I also exercise almost every day...and I do not eat back exercise calories or I would never lose weight. I have been doing this for 68 days and have lost 8 lbs....VERRRYYY slowly.
    It is frustrating to see people on here losing much faster but I try not to get discouraged. I have noticed that my clothes are fitting a bit better so I am hopeful that my exercise and diligence is paying off more than is reflected on the scale.

Feel free to friend me for support!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    I have hashimotos and PA, but no trouble losing weight... It's just not as linear as one might like. (Most recently, I was stuck at 160.5 for two weeks, then this morning, I woke up at 156... WHEEEEEEE!)

My best weight loss combination is lots of low level cardio (walking 10k steps every day) and weight lifting 2x per week.

My biggest problem has been staying pain free enough to be active at a "normal" level. For that to happen, my TSH needs to be around 1, but lately I've been floating at .5. Just keep after it and don't let scale plateaus bother you. Hypo people are water retention champions, so the scale will lie to you a lot...
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I'm am hypothyroid as well (I have no thyroid, it was removed), currently I'm on synthroid (I was on cytomel too, it lightened my wallet but that was about it - we're all different). I'm usually pretty good about being able to lose weight when I eat at a calorie deficit like mamapeach910 said. It's a little bit of tweaking to figure out what works best for you as far as being low carb, regular carb, etc. but regardless as long as your T3/T4 levels are at your normal, you should be fine.
  • following- I'm newly diagnosed hypothyroid and Hashimoto's.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Hello! I'm curious to see what has worked for others with hypothyroidism as far as weight loss/fat loss goes. I am not really interested in trying paleo just yet but I know that it has worked for a lot of people!

A little about me. I am hypothyroid and hashi's and autoimmune has been ruled out.
    I'm almost 30

I am more concerned about being smaller(inches) rather than the # on the scale. I do have weight to lose and I know it will take time which I am 100% ok with!

So, do you know what is causing you to be hypothyroid? I was under the impression that hypothyroidism without being autoimmune, it is rare, so I am curious. Is it something that can be treated? Or is something making it impossible to bring your levels to normal?
  • kkauz42
    aggelikik wrote: »

I'm almost 30

So, do you know what is causing you to be hypothyroid? I was under the impression that hypothyroidism without being autoimmune, it is rare, so I am curious. Is it something that can be treated? Or is something making it impossible to bring your levels to normal?

Not sure what has caused it. I am on armour so I have T3 and T4 support. My dad had thyroid issues and I have heard it is hereditary. My levels have been normal with my meds. I will have a physical in a couple weeks so I will see if they are still stable. I also have a goiter with non cancerous nodules.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Don't think I answered this one? I try to answer all the Hashi's posts. Good advice has already been given. Hope you hang in there & feel well. I am having no trouble losing so long as I stay within my calorie goals. But I do have to be strict about that. I'm assuming I would anyway, though. DXd several years ago with very high TSH and with TPO through the roof, 1850, max range for negative was 5. Good luck and feel well!